• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ATV Studios Broad Street

Works for me Lyn.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Yes I can see both vids, ATV were also at Aston Cross for a time at the old Astoria cinema, around the 50's and 60's, I believe that is where they started - could be wrong !! Eric

Somehow it's not as sad as seeing the older buildings going, but it's still an important part of our Birmingham History.
I was wondering if they will reveal any canal remains as they did when they dug for the Library.....all those blue bricks!
My 3xGreat Grandfather worked on the Old Wharf as a coal dealer and brick-maker.
rosie.

I enjoyed the blue brick story Mike! I don't think it will be so easy to view the progress with the ATV site though, except from the Library roof.
I was born in the house Mom lived in all her married (and widowed) life, when the house was sold I had some blue bricks for my path!!
rosie.

its ok i can see them both now...

rosie if there is a sniff of a blue brick in the air i shall be there lol

lyn

forgot to say eric that i am not certain but is the aston studios still standing..think i maybe..

rosie thats a very good point you make...im just wondering if there will be any excavation once the building is down as there was with the winfield brass co that was beneath the new library...must keep an eye on this....and thanks horsencart for the excellent videos..

lyn

They demolished the studio part of the building, they left the part that were the offices the building and it was called something like Radio House?, BRMB were there for a number of years, and as far as I am aware BRMB is now called Free Radio ? there no BRMB anymore

I suspect that because when they built that Former ATV building there may not be much left, because they went deep with the foundations, having said that I will be keeping a eye on the demolition

forgot to say eric thai am not certain but is the aston studios still standing..think i maybe..

rosie thats a very good point you make...im just wondering if there will be any excavation once the building is down as there was with the winfield brass co that was beneath the new library...must keep an eye on this....and thanks horsencart for the excellent videos..

lyn

The last video and photos I shot was yesterday 7.2.2015., I would say that at least a third of the building has gone now there is only one big Studio door left there were four, I suspect that the next time I go there there will be a lot less of the building left

thanks horsencart....oh when did you take the video shots...

lyn

as the old register office will also be going i wonder if the three wise men statue that sits outside will have be moved...

lyn

as the old register office will also be going i wonder if the three wise men statue that sits outside will have be moved...

lyn

If so what would be wrong with giving the three most important men in Birmingham pride of place in a position such as The Bullring, Victoria Square or Chamberlain Square.

Yes I can see both vids, ATV were also at Aston Cross for a time at the old Astoria cinema, around the 50's and 60's, I believe that is where they started - could be wrong !! Eric

My Uncle, Bert Brookes, worked at the old ATV Studios in Aston, and my brother in law, Dave Williams, worked at the newer ATV Studios,
in the 1970/80's.

Eddie

Wasnt crossroads recorded in Bradford St, the same building at the Castaways club. I was a telephone engineer in my youth and worked on the offices there

Wasnt crossroads recorded in Bradford St, the same building at the Castaways club. I was a telephone engineer in my youth and worked on the offices there

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had a rehearsal rooms there, but I don't think it was ever recorded there.

No they rehearsed at the building in Bradford St but they recorded Crossroads at the ATV studios in Bridge St

Was this building once the 'Astoria' cinema, I remember going there and the nearby 'Aston Cross' cinema quite often in the 50's ???? Eric

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had a rehearsal rooms there, but I don't think it was ever recorded there.

In my lunch hour after shopping in Town I used to catch the bus back to the office in Bradford St and sonetimes Noele Gordon and Jane Rossington were on the bus doing the very same thing. So I presume they were doing rehearsals in Bradford St. Viv.

I was an actress on Crossroads, so I can confirm, that we rehearsed (and yes we did), in Bradford Street, and recorded on Broad Street.

Back