• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Anyone remember visiting Weymouth

cearnegiant

master brummie
Anyone remember visiting Weymouth in Dorset and seeing the train run along the Quay to Ferry terminal? Our holiday every year from Brum in the 60s was to Weymouth.Seeing the train run along the Quay was highlight of holiday,Now in retirement live by Weymoth and they thinking of using the old railway to Ferry for Tram service.

My daughter in laws parents did and have some photo's that I will try to obtain for this thread. They loved it so much that they have retired to Little Sea, Weymouth.

Mom,Dad and I went three times to Weymouth in the 50's on a coach from outside The Black Horse in Northfield , yes I remember the trains there also the Clock, the Sand sculptures and the swans. There were nice places near to visit The Wishing Well at Upwey was a favourite,Lulworth Cove,Poole, Swanage, the Chesile Beach and Portland Bill lighthouse,I'vestill got the old photos
Pamela

The rail link to the ferry terminal was classed as 'out of use' rather than 'abandoned' or 'closed', so although timetabled services ended in c1987, occasional enthusiast specials still could use the line. This one was in 1999.

[video=youtube;hJbv5me0pRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbv5me0pRQ&fmt=5[/video]

Nice clip, Llloyd, thanks for posting it. We used the service several times en route to the Channel Islands. As we lived in Bournemouth at that time, it was very handy.

Maurice :cool:

People would park there cars near track and the rail staff bump the cars out of the way.When people returned to cars they fiound them left in some strange positions.Weymouth in bit mess over last couple of years due to major road works. The old fairy lights along Esplanade going and be replaced by Laser lights.There used tobe family from West Heath who ran the Fish chip kiosk at Bowleaze cove, There thats my Weymouth update.

I will ask my daughter in law if I can use some of her latest photo's as they go to visit her mom about three times a year. Jean.

CerneGiant:

Yes, we even stayed at Bowleaze Cove once! I seem to recollect that there was some Roman mosaic somewhere on the site.

Bill Parker:

Well they had plenty of time - it wasn't exactly galloping along! :D

Our favourite as kids in Brum was U2 batteries under steamrollers! :shocked:

A section of the railway system in the area, ran down to Portland and into the Dockyard :):)

this section in Weymouth Aug 2007 :):):)

There were postcards showing the railway bridge link between weymouth and Portland across Radipole Lake.Probably someone got one. The train running up to Portland had Two loco's to get up the hill. The old track route still exists and is now a walk way. Very overgrown but good place to see Badgers. Just add that any steam train lovers should visit the Corfe Castle to Swanage Steam railway.

Barry,
Went to Weymouth a couple of times as a teenager - we stayed in a lovely B&B just outside Weymouth with an orchard with a swing in it. We loved the ferry over the river, the old man - well I thought he was old then - who rowed it was a great story teller.
Love the beach there and the Sandman, who did pictures from sand, they were brilliant, but I should think he must be dead by now, he was really old lol.
My nephew sails for the British Youth Team, so he is at Portland quite often, my brother says people are meaner now, he had a metal detector one year when we went and made a fortune from loose change he found on the beach.
All fond memories, not sure if there are any pics at moms will have to look and post if I can find some.
Sue

A section of the railway system in the area, ran down to Portland and into the Dockyard :):)

this section in Weymouth Aug 2007 :):):)

Dave that ran along the Harbour to the Ferry's behind the Hotels on the front. The last hotel was the Lusern next to the Southern Rail Booking office it was owned by my wifes realations.

Hi Sue, The Ferry man still rows people across the Harbour or you thinking of across the backwater at Ferrybridge? The sand scuplture man still there but now the son.People still go around the beach every morning with metal detectors, round the kiosks always find money, They find watches.rings etc that people leave on beach.Next year Weymouth and Portland getting ready for Olympic sailing. There are lot of Birmingham people who moved to Weymouth area,Lots due to there holidays when kids. I know this Birmingham forum but holidays from brum when kids are part of our past. Anyone served in Navy Would remember Weymouth when on shore leave. There is local Weymoth forum and the amount of Brummies remembering there holidays or Navy times in Weymouth is very high. The main question always asked is about local entertainer Jimmy Thunder, Now if you remember him from 70s in Weymoth/he is still going

Alf, do you please have more info on the Lusern hotel? Was your wifes relations from Brum. One day hoping us Brummies take over Weymoth and make it suburb of Brum

Alf, do you please have more info on the Lusern hotel? Was your wifes relations from Brum. One day hoping us Brummies take over Weymoth and make it suburb of Brum

Not to hand but they came from Wolverhampton. Got a photo or two somewhere

Anyone planning holiday in Weymouth and likes bit of sea fishing.Let me know and give you local update of the best Shore fishing marks.The locals like to keep it Quiet.

Barry, my nephew has been there this weekend with the Olympic training squad, he sails the 2 man 49ers if that means anything to yu! And yes, it was the ferry across the harbour I remember.
Sue

We were away this week,staying at Beer Head.

A bit off topic but on Sunday 19th June we were going back to Beer from Weymouth and when we got near Abbotsbury there was a motorcyclist holding up our line of traffic at a set of temperary traffic lights so that
hundreds(my husband thinks almost 1000) motor bikes could come through.Looked like they were going to Weymouth.
It seemed to take forever for them to come through , our lights changing from red to green so many times,but very enjoyable some of the bikes were amazing.
I have searched the net since we got home and can find nothing about them.

Last edited:
They around on regular basis,Meet up at West Bay.Some really fantastic bikes,Sometimes can be 50/60 going through.There is national club that arrange the big events.

Just found out they were part of a Charity ride from Milborne St Andrew to West Bay
The first one was last year, a motor biker was treated for cancer at Poole hospital so the Royal Oak in Milborne
organised a ride with funds going to the hospital and they were astounded at how many people turned up.

Mis-spent youth. I recall a pub in Weymouth called the Black Dog, on or near the sea front. The wall behind the bar was decorated with Sailors' cap ribbons.

Was the pubs along the Esplanade that had the sailors on shore leave. Remember the Shore patrol being busy. Victoria bars being favorite

Back