• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

An unidentified object on a disused churchyard

I have to say that this is a very tranquil and peacefulplace; however I have to admit to being slightly biased, I find all graveyards/cemeteriestranquil and peaceful places.

I feel quite at home in a place like this, almost like a welcomedguest. I think its is because cemeteries are the final resting places of ordinarypeople; ordinary people whose lives can tell remarkable stories.

I also say that cemeteries are full of love....

I have to agree Morturn I spent a good couple of hours in Bromsgrove Cemetery today went to Dads grave first then my Nans then to an old friends put a few flowers on each of their graves and it was so peaceful and coulourful no-one to bother you perfect.

Have taken photo's of unusual and interesting grave stones some in the I.O.W.

Fascinating coincidence - A current false story doing the round on the internet is this which claims that the cage is to prevent the 'un-dead' from leaving the grave. Thankfully our member know better.

Having visited around a hundred churchyards/cemeteries, (looking for War Memorials), I often found myself feeling affected my a certain atmosphere in some of them. One I went to made me feel quite uneasy as soon as I went in and in another I literally had to resist the urge to run away. (Much later, I read an account of the ghost of a woman being seen in the place).

Having visited around a hundred churchyards/cemeteries, (looking for War Memorials), I often found myself feeling affected my a certain atmosphere in some of them. One I went to made me feel quite uneasy as soon as I went in and in another I literally had to resist the urge to run away. (Much later, I read an account of the ghost of a woman being seen in the place).
I know what you mean Baz - whilst I find most cemeteries and churchyards (graveyards) to be calming and peaceful places to visit some seem to have a disturbing air about them regardless of whether it is sunny or overcast.

Hello maypolebaz,
So glad to find someone else suseptible to feeling an Aura. I feel this whenever I go to France.It is difficult to explain what it is but to me it is very real. If you feel like this don't ever go to Oradour - sur -Glane I think that would really make you sick. So glad you brought this up, I used to think I was a bit " NUTTY "
Betty.

Body snatchers rarely dug up bodies but stole them from crypts where they were supposed to be protected. They generally had a deal going with whoever had been paid for ensuring the bodies did not disappear!! This was a scam that went on till the act was passed that allowed people to leave their bodies to medical science!!

I also agree with Morturn. I walked over 2000 miles with my late mucker, and we nearly always stopped and had a cup of tea in the Churchyards that we passed by. There were many benches available for the traveller to rest and contemplate, and by far the most were peaceful places. Beautiful ancient yew trees and no lack of bird life to share your sandwiches!

I must say that we never felt any unease whatsoever.

Over 250 of the Churches can be seen from this Tag...

https://www.panoramio.com/user/2465971/tags/English Churches

My wife and I love old Church's and their Church yards, have visited many, when she was healthier, as you say Pedro, peaceful and full of nature and birdlife summer or winter. Although not overly religious, I always feel a little sad at neglected and abandoned Church's, a great loss of our peoples history, I feel. great tag by the way Pedro.Paul

I also agree with Morturn. I walked over 2000 miles with my late mucker, and we nearly always stopped and had a cup of tea in the Churchyards that we passed by. There were many benches available for the traveller to rest and contemplate, and by far the most were peaceful places. Beautiful ancient yew trees and no lack of bird life to share your sandwiches!

I must say that we never felt any unease whatsoever.

Over 250 of the Churches can be seen from this Tag...

https://www.panoramio.com/user/2465971/tags/English Churches

Since the posting Google closed down panoramio and therefore the link disappeared. If you want to see a few churches and churchyards they are now on Ipernity...

viv this is from the st james london dig....seems very similar to what was found in your article..think i have paused the video at 52 mins to start where they show us what they found in one coffin...

Yes Lyn, think so. I’ve seen details of another method where explosives were attached, so if anyone tried to remove the body, they’d blow themselves up. People must have been very seriously concerned about this to go to such lengths.

The programme talked about it being legal to remove a body from a grave but illegal to steal anything else. Madness. Must have been a relief when the law eventually caught up. Viv.

yes viv i would imagine when the new law was passed about body snatching it was relief...although not in brum i found this episode fascinating...the sheer numbers of people buried in one place is mind boggling...

lyn

It brings to mind the tradition which I believe still continues in West Indian communities of members of the family themselves all helping to fill in the grave immediately after the coffin is placed in the ground, though, I gather , more to ensure nothing is stolen from the grave , rather than the body

Back