• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

An unidentified object on a disused churchyard

Hi, Our family have always enjoyed ,looking at the names of people past on.We have lived in Worcester for thirty years, and often go to the local villages to visit the Church yards.We have never seen one like the photos you have shown. So we would appreciate a visit if you would give us the directions. I would gladly give you our private address,so that you know we can be trusted to leave it as we find it. best regards Lizzie

I do hope it's protected as such an interesting piece of history, before the scrap villans find it!!

Hi Wendy

A good point you make, I’m going to have a chat with Bewdley’s historical society when I get back from holiday.

BusyLizzie

I would park in Bewdley and walk along the bank of the Severn upstream. Its about ¾ of a mile just before the remains of Dowles railway bridge on the left. There is a right of way footpath straight to it.

Go and enjoy yourself, I found it quite a peaceful place.

By the way, there is a list of some of the gravestone inscriptions here https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=484

Hi Richard, Thanks for that, I did leave you a p m, i was a little worried that i might have compromised the situation by asking how to reach the grave yard. I can see now I have not. I will go with my family ASAP. As long as it does not flood,lets hope it stops raining. Best regards Lizzie.

Hello, So sorry and please excuse my ignorance but I have always wondered. What is the difference between a graveyard
and a cemetery????
Betty.

Is it that a Graveyard is attached to a church or cathedral whereas a Cemetery is dedicated to burials only and may have a chapel?

Hello BernardR for the explanation I THINK I understand it.Although they have given me another word " Churchyard "
Having read through the explanation you sent me and studying the photographs that Morturn has taken of the cemetery/ graveyard/
churchyard in Bewdley I am not looking forward to going to bed tonight !!!!!!!.

...God, that's a creepy-looking churchyard !
I'm afraid I can't agree. To me it looks quite tranquil. I image to be buried there would feel like having a woodland burial (if one feels anything at all when one's fell off the perch.) :topsy_turvy:

I did find a better site Betty but it looked quite spooky so decided not to direct you there.

I have to say that this is a very tranquil and peacefulplace; however I have to admit to being slightly biased, I find all graveyards/cemeteriestranquil and peaceful places.

I feel quite at home in a place like this, almost like a welcomedguest. I think its is because cemeteries are the final resting places of ordinarypeople; ordinary people whose lives can tell remarkable stories.

I also say that cemeteries are full of love....

I have to agree Morturn I spent a good couple of hours in Bromsgrove Cemetery today went to Dads grave first then my Nans then to an old friends put a few flowers on each of their graves and it was so peaceful and coulourful no-one to bother you perfect.

Have taken photo's of unusual and interesting grave stones some in the I.O.W.

Fascinating coincidence - A current false story doing the round on the internet is this which claims that the cage is to prevent the 'un-dead' from leaving the grave. Thankfully our member know better.

Having visited around a hundred churchyards/cemeteries, (looking for War Memorials), I often found myself feeling affected my a certain atmosphere in some of them. One I went to made me feel quite uneasy as soon as I went in and in another I literally had to resist the urge to run away. (Much later, I read an account of the ghost of a woman being seen in the place).

Having visited around a hundred churchyards/cemeteries, (looking for War Memorials), I often found myself feeling affected my a certain atmosphere in some of them. One I went to made me feel quite uneasy as soon as I went in and in another I literally had to resist the urge to run away. (Much later, I read an account of the ghost of a woman being seen in the place).
I know what you mean Baz - whilst I find most cemeteries and churchyards (graveyards) to be calming and peaceful places to visit some seem to have a disturbing air about them regardless of whether it is sunny or overcast.

Hello maypolebaz,
So glad to find someone else suseptible to feeling an Aura. I feel this whenever I go to France.It is difficult to explain what it is but to me it is very real. If you feel like this don't ever go to Oradour - sur -Glane I think that would really make you sick. So glad you brought this up, I used to think I was a bit " NUTTY "
Betty.

Body snatchers rarely dug up bodies but stole them from crypts where they were supposed to be protected. They generally had a deal going with whoever had been paid for ensuring the bodies did not disappear!! This was a scam that went on till the act was passed that allowed people to leave their bodies to medical science!!

I also agree with Morturn. I walked over 2000 miles with my late mucker, and we nearly always stopped and had a cup of tea in the Churchyards that we passed by. There were many benches available for the traveller to rest and contemplate, and by far the most were peaceful places. Beautiful ancient yew trees and no lack of bird life to share your sandwiches!

I must say that we never felt any unease whatsoever.

Over 250 of the Churches can be seen from this Tag...

https://www.panoramio.com/user/2465971/tags/English Churches

My wife and I love old Church's and their Church yards, have visited many, when she was healthier, as you say Pedro, peaceful and full of nature and birdlife summer or winter. Although not overly religious, I always feel a little sad at neglected and abandoned Church's, a great loss of our peoples history, I feel. great tag by the way Pedro.Paul

Back