• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Airbus A380 to visit Elmdon/ BHX

Thank you all for the pictures

Like most of you I was in the bedroom window hoping to have a good view. But unfortunately not to be, I did see the A380 coming into land but it was just a dot on the horizon as it came in over Catherine De Barnes. I was hoping it would go out the other way but by then I had to leave and go to work. So did not see things at the best so thanks again for the pictures it just fascinates me so much that something so gigantic can fly!!!!!

It is just so fantastic.

Shady

I went down a bit early, good job I did because it landed early, 12.13 and not the advertised 12.35. I viewed it from Sheldon Country Park with hundreds of others so we had a close up view as it taxied of the Runway - Gi-normous!!!. Just got back, half hours walk but worth it. Eric
i also watched from Sheldon Country Park what a sight wonder did it take off towards the park as well?or did it take off the way it came down?

standing on our front with me camera .
Jean - The first rule about photographing aircraft is they are usually never where you hope they will be. Anyway you had better be careful us 'aircraft anoraks' don't pinch some tables in your Snug Bar to endlessly talk about planes:D Here's a couple of pics, the 'now', from yesterday's event, the 'then' from some other time.
oldmohawk:)

Wished I could have stayed to watch the departure, I was on the long stay car park (as usual) which gives a good view although it often means having to photograph towards the sun. The car park was packed, not seen so many there since Concords last flight.
Take off on "one-five" was pre-arranged as noted on the BHX site given by Roy, it says
Subject tailwind on the day the A380 will depart off Runway 15- this will ensure both the landing and take off take place in front of the terminal/new International Pier"
So it was for publicity rather than operational reasons

Colin

OldMohawk you are welcome to come and talk planes?. Can't wait for the next time this plane comes into Brum will you be there Colin? anyone know when?. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi Phil, what you say about they are never were you think when panning, but our nine year old Granson took thes at the Dawlish Air Show when we were down there this month.
I think he as an eye for this.
RED ARROW, LAST VULCAN STILL FLYING, ( note have zoomed in on one or two just to get closer)

Hi Keith,
Nice to see that Vulcan. I often look at the Military section of the PPrune forum and enjoy reading the threads by the ex-pilots who flew the Vulcans in the Cold War. Often at times of crisis they were on stand-by ready to go.
With regard to Emirates we will have to be satisfied looking at it's daily 777 when it lines-up for RWY 15. Just watched a Victor accidently take off, shown on the Midlands News !!
Phil

I wouldn't expect to see the A380 operating into BHX for the forseeable
future, this was only for publicity purposes.

Does anyone remember the first B747 coming into BHX and how many
years we had to wait to see another?

Mind you if Emirates were to combine their two daily flights to Dubai
into one then you might well see an aircraft upgrade, but somehow
i doubt they will do that.

Hi all,

I saw the 380 coming into land when I was driving out of Damson Parkway onto Coventry Road, I was suprised because normally flights from Dubai fly over Stechford/Kitts Green area , It was gigantic, but as I already told GG Jean on the Snug forum my friends son is a pilot for Thomson and my friend had a tour of the 380 Airbus on Saturday 5th September courtesy of his Son , (lucky or what !) from what I am told this is possibly a "trial run" to see whether the 380 could land etc successfully at BHX on a regular basis , I have seen many Emirates planes flying over Kitts Green ( my daughter lives in Middle Leaford - on the main flight path) and they are enormous but the 380 makes them look like microlites !

Just incase anyone is interested: I saw a new book advertised in the Evening Mail today:
It's called PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE and is a celebration of 70 years of Birmingham International airport. Author Malcolm Handley. It says it will be available from WH Smith & The aviation Experience at B'Ham airport also by Mail order from Laurence Hogg productions. Some of the profits to go to acorns childrens hospice, doesn't say a price.
Polly

I understand that Emirates intend to use A380's on their service to BHX from April next year so maybe we will be lucky enough to see one from time to time. geofred.

I would be interested to know from where you got that information...

I understand that Emirates intend to use A380's

on their service to BHX from April next year so maybe we will be lucky enough to see one from time to time. geofred.

Hi all
Unfortunatly due to the airbus landing 15mins earlier yesterday both me and my husband missed it. we arrived at Sheldon Park to lots of people leaving at about 12.25. We only live 2 mins up the road so with a small 5 month baby in toe we decided to come home and sit in the garden hoping to get a glimpse of the airbus on its departure but my friend txt shortly after the departure time to say she had just seen it fly over her house and she lives the coventry road side of the airport, so once again we missed it :(
We also missed the fly-by earlier on in the week too :( So thank you to all have put pic's on here so i got to see it! :)
I have a friend who works for emirates who is based in Dubai so i will contact her to see if she know of any future flights scheduled to bhx!

I flew into Birmingham on Wednesday in an AA5, G-BNVB. Did anyone by any chance take any photos or any general pictures of the aircraft parked on the elmdon apron?

Many thanks oldMohawk, in fact my aircraft can just be seen in pic 4.

my aircraft can just be seen in pic 4.
Did you fly it in yourself ? I like the DH Rapide in the last picture. My first ever flight was in one of those. The A380 looked ok too...;)
It's strange how the A380's wings and flaps look curved in one of the pics. The B747 picked up a nickname 'Jumbo', I wonder if the A380 will. :)

Hi OM,

Yes, I flew the aircraft in and what an experience! The largest airfield I had previously flown into was Cambridge - not quite in the same league.
I usually fly to airfields such as Duxford, Woverhampton, Old Buckenham or anywhere about one hours flying time from Turweston.

Hi OM,
Yes, I flew the aircraft in .
Nice to know we have a currently licenced pilot on the forum, we will now have to think what we say about aviation topics .....;) but elsewhere on the forum we have a picture of a Vickers Viscount with it's wing stuck in the side of a Belgium restaurant, and before Health &Safety got going we saw a F86 Sabre jet breaking the sound barrier over Castle Bromwich, 3 prototype jets racing around the Kings Cup circuit at Elmdon - the dangerous days !!!:D

Quite good isn't it. Very useful to look at before you set off in the morning......
If you fancy a visit it's just next door to Silverstone and has a good cafe. Good views of the runway also.
One of the best aerodromes for spotting is Wolverhampton (Halfpenny Green) with its upstairs cafe in the control tower building, but I expect you know that, being in that area.
In my own area Sywell is also good and has a new hard runway about to open.

I flew into Birmingham on Wednesday in an AA5, G-BNVB. Did anyone by any chance take any photos or any general pictures of the aircraft parked on the elmdon apron?

Hi Miroku

The BAEG site has quality pictures of each and every visiting aircraft to the 70th Anniversary event

Individual pictures of each aircraft as parked plus a few flying shots.
G-BNVB is included in all its splendour

https://baeg.blogspot.com/2009/09/bhx-at-70.html

Regards R0Y

Thanks for that Royston my neighbour who hasn't a computer but is a radio ham is coming round shortly to have a look at the photo's. Jean.

Back