• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Airbus A380 to visit Elmdon/ BHX

Have just been informed by my radio ham neighbour that the plane left Dubai at 5 oclock and is due to land at 12 30 ish. He has his radio on at the moment but says it won't be coming our way due to the wind and cloud [I think]. We may be able to see it in the distance when it takes off at 2 30 ish and he is going to shout over the fence when it does. It is a special day at the airport today too and many planes are flying in with their old Logo's painted on and they won't be flying in our way either. It is a shame. Are they called Logo's?. Jean.

The airport is very busy today,lovely clear morning.
From my back bedroom I see them as they rise from the airport over Marston green and Lea village and then many of them bank right and I lose sight or they bank left and I can watch them into the distance.
Planes are leaving at intervals of 3/4 minutes this morning.
As I write a small light aircraft has just gone into the airport from the Coleshill side.

Last edited:
I was an aircraft valeter (posh name for cleaner) a couple of summers ago at Brum and its amazing the variety of aircraft that does come in. We had an Arab Prince's personal jet complete with gold leaf on the perimiter as well as the England Football team's plane that came in for positioning (ie being put where it was next going to be used). Sadly the flights from Iraq and Afghanistan with injured service personnel were all to frequent usually in the early hours of the morning
Hello i also was a valeter at BHX for 10 years until a month ago,who did you work for? Tom Griffin:cool:

My neighbour phoned to say it landed ten minutes ago and came in the Coventry side. It should be taking off this way and he said he would phone when it does. My son lives in Marlborough road and he sits in the garden just watching them on clear days. Jean.

I went down a bit early, good job I did because it landed early, 12.13 and not the advertised 12.35. I viewed it from Sheldon Country Park with hundreds of others so we had a close up view as it taxied of the Runway - Gi-normous!!!. Just got back, half hours walk but worth it. Eric

Missed it again,WE ARE on the flight path from the north for all other flights,
but just as I wished to see this over our home, it comes in from the south, as did THE LAST CONCORDE.
May be better luck next time.

Scheduled to fly out 2.30 and most probably Marston Green,Lea village ,North.

Eric,you will get a great view as it goes over the end of Conway,I shall once again be in the bedroom window..

Better day than Saturday,it just disappeared into the clouds.

I went to BHX today along with thousands of others, just to see the A380, it's massive.

BHX_09092009_281329.JPG

BHX_09092009_281429.JPG

BHX_09092009_281529.JPG

BHX_09092009_281629.JPG

Colin

Last edited:
Keith as soon as it takes off I am putting it on here. My neighbour the plane spotter radio ham is tuned in and is shouting over the fence as soon as it takes off. He said it is over our way so keep logged on. It flys over my sons garden first and he has the camera ready. Did you take a photo Cookie?. Bye. Jean.

Alberta my neighbour just phoned and it's going out Coventry way so we will not see it not sure about you though. Take care. Jean.

Baron at least you got more than my neighbour and ourselves and he has been glued to his radio all afternoon. He said the other planes were grounded to let it fly out the other way wonder what the reason was for changing at the last minute. Never mind Dave another time eh.:(:(:(. Jean.

We were going today but stayed here being told we would see the take off at least. Wonder why it was changed at the last minute. Thanks for your reply Dave. Jean.

We were going today but stayed here being told we would see the take off at least. Wonder why it was changed at the last minute. Thanks for your reply Dave. Jean.

According to the radio, aparrently the runway at the Tile Cross end is not suitable, too narrow or something. I don't understand it. I stood in Mackadown Lane with many others because it was supposed to take off that way but it took off over the A45. AAARGH.

Terry

Terry I know how you feel. Ray has one of those raio's that can listen in to the pilots talking etc and he said it was a last minute change unless it was a security thing. Surely they would have sussed the runway out ages ago. Anyway ARGGGG too. Jean.

The amateur videos will be up on youtube soon - here's one already.
(Nothing to see for the first minute)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwlNgbsdUg"]YouTube - A380 landing at BHX[/ame]

Saw it on the local news on TV - sure is some airbird. Trust the Friends of the Earth to go and spoil the moment though.

I have an 'airband' radio and can listen to aircraft from more than 100m away, even descents into LHR and DUB and all transmissions from BHX and even from MAN. It is not really legal but they tolerate it if you do not repeat what you hear. According to the 'Pilots' forum the 380 came in on RWY33 (north facing) and departed on RWY15 (south facing). They seem to indicate that leaving and going on at the 15 end was easier, and GoogleEarth shows possibly why. A bit disappointing for us to the north of Brum but we've seen the photos.:)

OldMowhawk that's what my neighbour has and we are the North side and yes it was very disappointing. The photo's arn't quite the same are they. Did you like the ones Pete got me to put on?. I felt a bit of a plonker standing on our front with me camera as Ray said that is where we would see it. So relieved when he came out to tell me they had changed the route. Jean.

Last edited:
Back