• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Acocks Green Congregational Church

Snygyst

Brummie
Please could anybody tell me if this church still exists and if so, where it is and what denomination it is now?

Hi Snygyst: In 1972 all the Congregational churches in Britain merged with
the Presbyterian Churches to become known as United Reformed Churches.
Other than that I don't know if there is one in Acocks Green. There are many listed on the internet in Birmingham but didn't see one in Acocks Green.

Hi jennyann
Thank you for your reply. I have already checked out the URC churches, the nearest being Hall Green which could well have been encompassed in Acocks Green a century ago. However further research finds AG Congregational Church on Warwick Road, until it was sold in 1956 to the Bible Pattern Church Fellowship. I am now following that lead to see if the building still survives.

The Acocks Green Congregational Church stood on the corner of Stockfield Rd and Warwick Rd where Colliers stands now. The first chapel was in Rushall Lane (Stockfield Rd) in 1808.

The church in the photo opened in 1860 and was extended in 1895. In 1956 it was sold off to the Bible Pattern Church and become known as the Warwick Rd City Temple. It was demolished in 1970.

I am posting photos of inside and outside c1905.

Phil

Attachments

• Acocks Green C Church interior  1905.jpg
    Acocks Green C Church interior 1905.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Acocks Green  C Church 1905 .jpg
    Acocks Green C Church 1905 .jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
In addition to my previous post, I think the original chapel built in 1808 is still standing. If you take a look on Google I think it is the building just before the Shell Garage on the left of Stockfield Rd just past Rushey Lane going towards Yardley.

Phil

Hi Phil and thanks for the additional info and the photos.
Just checked on google and lo and behold https://tinyurl.com/qsut2b
The info and photos are for a person researching from Australia and is it ok for me to send her the photographs you provided?
Also, I can now get off my pc and amble up to Acocks Green and get my own photograph of the old chapel if they want more.
Again, more thanks,

Looking at google street view it (no 23) certainly looks like an old chapel (with some additions). It seems to have had various uses. The 1973 kellys shows it as the Kent Radiator Co, and before that it was home to a gas stove manufacturer (1940) an enamellers 1932 and builders and builders merchants (1899-1921).
The earliest I can definitely identify it is as “Riversdale” occupied by William Henry west , builder in 1899. It shows up identically in the 1887 OS map and the 1845/47 Yardley tithe map, but not marked as a chapel or church or anything
Mike

Mike according to what I have, it was built in 1827 not 1808 as I first stated ( Congregationalist's were active in the area from 1808) and I suppose it would have gone out of use as a chapel in 1860 when the new one was built.

The book also says that the former chapel was used as a non conformist school until 1884 and from 1891 to 1892 as a Board school.

My book also says that the old chapel is still standing but occupied by a business. It doesn't say what type of business and the book is dated 1997 so things could have changed by now.

Are there any other churches that show up on Rushall Lane (Stockfield Rd at that time?

Phil

Snygyst

I just came across this and thought you might like to see it. The Acocks Green Congregational Church in a photo taken about 1905.

Phil

Attachments

• Acocks Green Stockfield Rd Congregational  Church c1905 .jpg
    Acocks Green Stockfield Rd Congregational Church c1905 .jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 27
Thats a good picture Phil. Don't know how you do it. Definitely the same as on google streetview. By the way I missed your post a fortnight ago. i couldn't check for churches before then as it seems the area was outside ?Birmingham before and Stockfield road and Rushall lane are not in the directory.
mike

Only a gap of 12 years since the last post but I have a pic I have just prepared from my site. I have guessed at the date of 1900 but it could have been taken when the church was enlarged four years earlier?

warwick-road-tyseley-congregational-church.jpg

In addition to my previous post, I think the original chapel built in 1808 is still standing. If you take a look on Google I think it is the building just before the Shell Garage on the left of Stockfield Rd just past Rushey Lane going towards Yardley.

Phil
A replacement picture. Google 2008, must have been demolished soon after.

Attachments

• Screenshot (361).png
    Screenshot (361).png
    832.2 KB · Views: 10
What I believe to be a Phyllis Nicklin picture of Acock's Green Congregational church. Where I went to Sunday school in 1940's.
A more recent picture (Google2008). I found it of interest that the pedestrian crossing has been moved back to the 1940's position.

Attachments

• Screenshot (360).png
    Screenshot (360).png
    774.8 KB · Views: 9
If Birmingham had moved all the buildings they have knocked down to a bit of wasteland then they could have actually filmed "Peaky Blinders" in Brum rather than the BCLM. Seriously though, think what a museum the city would have had - and a boost to the local economy in the age of heritage tourism.

The screenshot of the junction of Stockfield Road and Warwick Road in devonjim's post #13 brings back some memories! I lived in Douglas Road with my parents from about 1963 until I got married in 1981 and moved down to the South Wales coast. My parents moved from there to Baldwins Lane, Hall Green about 1990. The partially seen green bus stop was where I used to get off the bus until I left school in 1968 and when we returned from town shopping or having a good night out. Before 1963 I also used to visit my uncle, auntie and two cousins that lived in Alexander Road. Their was a bench at the bus stop, not viable in the picture, where I had to try to recover a little bit after spending a few hours with some mates in the 'Burlington Bar' in Burlington Arcade in New Street where somebody decided to drink Pernod & lemonade. The smell of Pernod makes me heave to this day! I had a daddy of all hangovers the next day :-(

Back