• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Victorian Album

Just a few more photo's I have on my system....none of Birmingham but I still thing you will enjoy them. (I Hope)

Di,WHAT CAN I SAY BUT THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN, you come up with the goods EVERY TIME.
I was unable to get that info due to the transcribed name being JENEY.I must try putting in these strange spellings and see what comes up.
Thank you so much for following up my family name.
ASTON
Will let you know how I go on at Penns Lane.

Lovely John K thank you, i see the sailors in the crowd and the band wonder, what was that for do you know. Catkin

Catkin.....I don't know anything about them...only that I found them very interesting and I was sure others would enjot them also....John

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizzie Hanman

This is my Great Grandmother on my dad's side of the family. Never knew the lady. I reckon this to be taken around 1890's period.

Terry

Last edited:
What a wonderful photo Terry she looks very reagal although ladies did then. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Lizzie Hanman

Hi Di.Poppitt

It was just a guess to be honest. Did not know the lady existed until I started to investigate my family tree about 6 months ago. She was born in 1878 and married an Alfred Pledger in 1899. He died in 1914 (illness not war).

Regards

Terry

Here are the only two photographs I have of my maternal Grandmother. I guess the one on the right was taken around 1910 and the one on the left not sure....:)

They are beautiful photos Gillian like you only have a couple of old photos and I do treasure them as it is so nice to see what your ancestors looked like.

My aunt died in 1976 and left me a Victorian Photograph album. In the cover is handwritten the following:
The purist feeling of the heart
This little book will move
For in it's pages you will find
The faces you have loved.
The loved and loving all are here
Just as they lived they look
Lifes ............? memories they recall
and sacred make the book
Here are the nearest,dearest best
Of all that heaven sends
The richest treasures we possess
wife,children parents friends.

There are some twenty of so postcard photographs but included is a picture of Queen Victoria in pristine condition and which appears clearer than in my copying. The picture of Prince Albert is clear on the bracelet on her right wrist and the lace cover about her shoulders, so delicate.
Will.

Last edited:
The lady in question does look very elegant with her furs which was the style then -

My mom inherited a sable from for grandmother with its head - gross

But oh I am so glad they don't wear them so much now a days-

Have finally transcribed the photographs from my late aunt's album.
The following photo intrigues me for I have never seen a tie pin fastened in the knot of a man's tie. Is it a tie pin? or is it a identification of belonging to some organisation?. On magnification you will see it is in the form of a decorated halberd

I think it was his way of making a fashion statement - because he didn't want to put the pin through and make a hole in his tie

Beryl M.
You could be right about the fashion statement but it appears to me that he has put a hole in his tie by inserting it into the knot.?
If only it had been handed down to my line. Still that can be said about numerous things.
Will.

Victorian Album

This is my great grandparents with their two children, my grandmother and my great uncle. They were the Bunce family.

Your Grandmother is so pretty and don't the ladies look lovely in their grand hats love the cute dog too. I see in your name interests there is burgess there was a family of that name in folliott road when I was young I remember tony danny who we still see as he lives around here in Yardley I suppose they could be related to you, you never know.

Hello Marie, yes my grannie was pretty but unfortunately she was dead before I was born, as was my grannie on my father's side. I often wish I'd known them though as apparently they were lovely women. All my grandparents and great grandparents went and died before I came along! The Burgesses could probably be related way far back as to my knowledge there was only one Burgess family originally, but I don't know the Christian names you mention. It might be worth looking into, though. Thanks for that.

Harborne I only knew one nan from my mothers side and she died when I was 8 her husband who I look like died a year before I was born and I would loved to have met him, and my dad was an orphan so I don't even know what my dads parents looked like but you never know someone out there may have a photo of them, living in hope.

Yes it would and I don't give up hope as on genesreunited I have managed to get a few photos off people who are related so you never know.

Really? I never thought of that. I have found a couple of distant rellies on there but never thought of asking for photos. Thanks Marie I'll have to try that.

Thats the first thing I ask as I think its so important to keep photos because when some relatives die most people throw the photos away and furniture, when my mom died nobody wanted the my moms sideboard and even though I haven't got the room I could not see it thrown away I had grown up with this beautiful piece of furniture so I made room and I proudly polish it with real wax and feel really proud when I've finished.

What a fabulous picture Wendy. You wont get photos like that anymore. A wonderful treasure for you. Thanks for sharing. Barry.

Wendy, your mom looks like a little angel, lovely photograph. thank you.

That's a great picture Wendy. The costume looks great. A real fairy
girl I would say.

I love your photo Wendy, I bet your Mum was a bit of a tomboy on the quiet.

Back