• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Victorian Album

Judy39, How Did You Find Out The Info On The Martins Living Next To The Jenney In Clifton Road? I Have Not Been Able To Get That Far Up To Yet?
Aston

Catkin, Dr Malim was a good doctor, he was very kind to my mother when my father died............oops sorry off topic I must find some more family photo's!

Victorian Album

Hi Aston

I will send my answer via the Surnames section - Martins of Aston.

Meanwhile, I have looked through your photo of Ladies of Aston and as I don't know what my gt.grandma looked like it is difficult to know, but I am almost certain she would be in the picture if it is of Gothic Terrace. I wonder if she is the lady on the front row, 6th from right, seated, next to the lady in cream coat? I am attaching a photo of my grandma, Rose Martin, taken around 1900/1904 for comparison.

Judy

Last edited:
I must admit this section is one of my favouites , your photographs are wonderful....to see the faces and places of the past is amazing....and its better still when you can add names and detail to them also....real history with real people.....great....please keep them coming......

Not a clue MomaP, I hoped someone would tell me? even my late Father did not know why his Mom was on what looks like an outing for the ladies only.
Sadly all info on this pic like many others go with time,as I have said before on this forum ask questions now before it to late.
Have a nice day all
ASTON

Aston, you are so right about asking questions. I had a lovely afternoon with my mother in 2003 going through family photo's. I wrote on the backs as much info as Mom could remember. We sat chatting with the photo's which seemed to spark her memories. Even guests on wedding photo's which I now have on my family tree. It was a nice afternoon and memorie I can now treasure. Mom died in 2004 at 86.

Thought you might like to see this photo of my auntie and uncle, Rose and Tommy Hanson, aged 3 and 5 years, in all their finery. Taken in 1909. They were born in Potters Hill, Aston, and the family later moved to 2 x 25 Court, Clifton Road (Gothic Terrace), close to their maternal grandparents, James and Ellen Martin.

Judy

Last edited:
Oh Judy a lovey photo! Just look at those faces. The clothes are beautiful thanks for sharing it with us.

Wendy, you are so luck to have so many photos like that.i only wish my grandad had been closer after he remarried may be then i would have the joy of photos from that era as you do.
Keep posting.
Aston

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy- Really lovely group portraits of your family. I wish I had something like that showing mine. I only have a couple of photos showing members of my mother's side of the family (all from Brum) and would dearly love to see what they all looked like - I live in hope of finding that someone related has more photos!!

See the family name of Bratt in your photo. Are you sure they all emigrated? I know a Bratt from Birmingham here in Devon!

Glad you all like the photo of Tommy and Rose - it is a bit battered but I think it is a special one.

Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, lovely photos. I have a couple of my great grandparents on my mother's side but nothing from my father's side. You're very lucky to be able to treasure those photos.

Judy39, I think my side of the family emigrated although there are probably a few still around. The name Bratt was not that common although there are a lot still around. JRR Tolkien's mother's maiden name was Bratt but as yet I have not managed to find a connection.

John - that is fantastic!! What an improvement - wait until I show my sister (who the picture belongs to). You are a star:great: How did you manage to make all those improvements to the well worn photo? Thank you so very much.

Judy
Brummie

My Great Great Granmother & Father

This is the only photograph I have of my G.G.Gran father&mother its not in the best of preservation but I will post any way.
Ialso post a scan of the back, if any one has more info or comments on the Photographers then please post. THE DATE IS AROUND 1874 that what I have found from surfing the WEB.
I have had ago at trying to clean it up but its to far gone I think but anyone is welcome to try. (UNDER PHOTO RESTORATION)
ASTON

Aston - I just love seeing these old photos whatever condition. You are lucky to have such an old photo of your ancestors. Which side of the family do these belong to? Are they the Jenney family? I don't know if you saw my reply post to you which I put under Surname Interests M-P so I am repeating it in case you missed it.

I found your Jenney family next to my Martins on the 1901 census. They weren't there in 1891 and lived at 36 Avenue Road, Aston. I also found the marriage of Frederick Charles Jenney to Leah Smith in 1899 in Aston on free BMD. My Martins lived in Gothic Terrace (25 Court, Clifton Road) for over 43 years - from 1881 until 1924, and then James & Ellen's daughter Minnie lived in the same house for at least another 13 years, until 1937, with her husband Ralph Jones. So, the family lived there for at least 56 years!!

Judy

Thanks judy39, yes I did see that my Grandad Frederick Charles & Leah Jenney lived next to your Martin Family in 1901, Its great to have that type of Info.
The posted pic is of great great grandad and his wife. WILLIAM WRIGHT JENNEY & ELIZA BUTTONSHAW JENNEY (Nee Hobday).
The big problem I have in finding members of my family is that we have to many WILLIAMS & CHARLES & WALTERS in our line.
My Dad was also named william wright jenney & his brother was frederick charles jenney,so Dad was named after my GREAT GREAT GRANDAD and his brother after my GRANDAD.
It all gets so confusing.
ASTON

Last edited:
What a grand couple they make Aston, Thank you for sharing. I went to school with a Hobday.

Aston - Its amazing how many families kept to the same Christian names within the family through the years. Makes it difficult to pinpoint the right people sometimes. Your 2 x gt.gran's middle name of Buttonshaw is an unusual one that I haven't come across before. Many of mine also had family surnames as middle names, and some illigitimate members also had their father's surname as a middle name!

Judy

judy39, I have found it spelt also as BUTTERSHAW which makes it even more of a problem. MY dad used to tell of a statue in nottingham of a general "KNOTT? HOBDAY" but have never found any info on this?
regards ASTON

Aston - I don't know how you do it on this list! It is truly fantastic how you restore these old photos. Thanks for getting rid of the 'mark' on Tommy's collar. I wasn't sure if it was a flaw on the photo or whether it was a ribbon/posy pinned on, but it looks good now you have removed it.

I am like Patty, and haven't been able to get back to the PHOTO RESTORATION thread but keep trying.

Also, I will keep your family names in mind in case I come across them anywhere!

Judy

thanks Judy Ito did not know is I should remove that mark but I took the risk and thought it looked better.
Any help with my family name would be very much appreciated even if I have it already it would go to confirm what I have.
I know this is not on Tread but is any one going to the Penns Lane Church re the family finders Ex?

victorian photos

What a lovely lot of photos, i have'nt any photos of my family members when they were very young. My older brother took it upon himself to take what photos we did have to Australia when he and his family emigrated in 1966. He did quite a bit of moving around and in the process lost a lot of the photos we did have, unfortunately i had never seen most of them, but after seeing all these lovely photos i can imagine what my Mum might have looked like as a child, she was born in 1894. thanks again guys.

Aston, you may already have this 1881 census info. I did the search under Eliza B as it was easier than William. William's occupation was Marine Store dealer. The family shown as all being born in Birmingham

Name:Eliza B. JenneyAge:37 Estimated birth year:abt 1844 Relation:Wife Spouse's name:William Gender:Female Where born:Aston, Warwickshire, EnglandCivil parish:Aston County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England Street address:6 Saltley Road South Side Condition as to marriage:Married

Registration district:Aston Sub-registration district Duddeston Household Members:NameAgeMatilda M. Burtin14 ServEliza B. Jenney37 Frederick C. Jenney5 Harry B. Jenney7 Lilian K. Jenney3 Sydney N. Jenney William Jenney44

Thanks Di, I do have that info; re WILLIAM & ELIZA They are my G.G. GRANFATHER & MOTHER.
Its his father & mother I am finding problems with, I now have found his mother liveing in Bham 1851 cecsus he was 14 years old,but no father on the census form Elizabeth head of household,
The story I have is he returned to Louth but when & why ? I have been told he died there in the workhouse but I am takeing this with a pinch of salt as it is only hear say.
I am going to the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter - Day Saints in Penns Lane SUTTON COLDFIELD ON WED 28th to see if we can get any further on (as bithcerts were not reqired before 1837 I am not holding out much hope).
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND HELP ON THIS.
ASTON (Keith)

Aston have you tried the name Burtonshaw i have just put into my search bar---burtonshaw family Birmingham, there are Burtonshaws and Smiths on there from Sussex Coleshill and Aston. HOPE YOU DON'T MIND. Catkin

William and Elizabeth and their family on the 1841 are transcribed as Jeney, very little info on this census, they are living in Hill Street, William is a Taylor. The children are Mary Ann b 1828. Eliza b 1830. Caroline b1832. Henry b 1834. William b 1837 and Walter b 1840. William snr shown as not born in county, and his and Elizabeths ages rounded down to 35.

Good luck when you go to Penns Lane:)

Back