• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Victorian Album

super photographa could do with a few more if any on as got some, please leave photographs as shown thank you

Our post Bob of the 5th JUNE the Victorian girl, she or he is one of the "Jenney" family posted by me on another topic asking did any one know who she or he was,that still remains un answed?
ASTON

I love looking at these Victorian photos, the intricacy of the dresses, all that lovely smocking and lace work, why can't our fashion today depict some of that style. As a hobby I make cards for all events and the biggest request I get is for the Victorian era, and blowing my own trumpet I must say that that era works very well. I think the Victorian era makes females very feminine, with all the lace and bouncy material, and when you look at the male fashion of that era it's just so sophisticated. Keep the photos coming they are brilliant :smitten:

wendys_dress.jpg
Hi Loisand

I made this dress in 2005 for an open day at Key Hill cemetery the photo was taken by our friend David Fisher. I suppose I cheated though I have an electric sewing machine, not done by hand. It did make me realise how much work went into these clothes.

Sorry if this is not right for the topic I don't mind if you delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's beautifull Wendy, look at the detail you have done on the front of the dress. I would love to go back to that era of dress, perhaps not for ever but just for a wee while! :smitten:
:flower: :cat:

Thanks for that it was hard work but I did enjoy it. I must admit you do feel very dressed up and feminine. I even had to ask for help to attach the bustle!

Elizabeth if you want to know why they were in India they went out to Entertain the Troops in the 1900's in the Music hall show
A chap by the name of George Edwards (1852-1915) was an Irish born theatre manager who pioneered the Musical in 1886 he was the sole manager of the Gaiety Theatre in London,he had 16 touring companies and had a gift for employing attractive young girls two.... I put in my book "Old Soldier Sahib" were Mable Woods and Rose De Vella who were in the chorus line of the shows that toured India playing nightly revues at the Soldiers barracks and the Hill Stations ( I will sort their photo out )

All the pictures are wonderfull & Wendy dont you look grand, it would be great to dress up in one of these beautifull costumes for the day.

Elizabeth.......I have a bit of info on the Sir Henry Segrave  and three rare photo's but if I post them here I will be going off thread........So I will post them to you a bit later by E-mail
Shows that George Edwards put on over 5 nights in India
The Earl and the Girl........H.M.S. Pinafore. Cingalee, Sergeant Brue, Gaiety Girl....admission fee for the soldier was two rupee's
I have posted a photo of Seymor Hicks on the War Hospitals Thread

Wendy - such a nice picture of your grandparents - I think the men dressed so well too!! .‚..:smitten:

It's really nice seeing these period clothes isn't it? .‚..People did dress nicely. .‚..But I reckon washing must have been a nightmare all that material in the ladies dresses to wash etc.. must have been hard to handle?

Wendy, I went to school at Marsh Hill with a girl who lived near to Witton Lakes Park on the Ridgeway side. Her name was Pat Spink and her brother was Sidney Spink. There must be a family connection I would think because Spink is an unusual name. Pat Spink married a
fellow I knew years ago but I am not sure where she is now.

All the photos are very nice to see.

Hello Jennyann, I know Elizabeth had one son with Sidney his name was John. Thanks for the info I will see what I can find.

Cromwell, once again lovely photo. I have never heard the term "barack bit" but it did make me laugh!

Thanks Wendy. The photos of your family group are great. The others are also
lovely to look at. I have always been fascinated by the clothes that were worn and the backdrops. Elizabeth, yes it must have been really hard to keep clothes clean and
nice looking back then.

Hi Aston, When I lived in Sutton my doctor Dr Malim was in Coles lane. It was a dingy room with a large Alsation dog in front of the open fire! he was an ex millitary doctor a bit abrupt but brilliant at diagnosis. What would health and Safety make of it!!!!!!!!!
I always had such faith in him.

Hi Colin,My nans name, Leah Jenney, it may have been taken when they lived in Wharf St? Grandad Jenney, was Frederick Charles.
Nan padssed away when dad was 15.

Aston.....in 1901 they were living in Clifton Road....Frederick.Leah and young Fred 3 months old.....All living at 8 Gothic Terrace...which was a court yard between 157 and 161.......

I have a number of Victorian photos of my relatives, some I have posted from time to time. I am so glad I have them and my children will Cherish them.:heart:

Last edited:
Back