• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. E

Len 'Tiger' Smith 1930's Birmingham boxer

Hi Nick, Would it be possible to send me a copy of my Grandad (Len Tiger Smith's boxing record? David Roake, would love to have some stories of your chats to Len... When Mona (his common-law-wife) as well as their son both died in South Africa in 1972, Len returned to the UK, therefore we...
  2. E

This is my grandfather Leonard Horace Smith :)
  3. E

highcroft hall hospital

What a shame...., but at least I know that it will never be possible to find the records of my Grandmother Lillian (Harris) Smith - the 2nd wife of the Birmingham Boxer , Len Tiger Smith (Leonard Horace Smith). At least, after searching for Lillian Smith all our lives, we have managed to find...
  4. E

Erdington Hospital early1920

Sorry, also just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to BIRMINGHAMHISTORY as it was right here where I found the WONDERFUL people who helped me locate may Grandmother's whereabouts - You are AWESOME PEOPLE! XXXX
  5. E

Erdington Hospital early1920

Dear Shorty, so sorry to read your story.... I feel that I must tell you my family story as well. First, I have just researched and found that Highcroft was origanally founded in 1836 and was formally known as the Aston Union Infirmary, later it became known as Erdington House. My late...
  6. E

Witton Cemetery Memorials

This is where the problem lies.... Leonard left the UK for SA in 1937 with my 2year old Mother (Mary Elizabeth Smith) and married Mona Jones in South Africa. No word was ever mentioned to my Mother about what happened to her Mother Lillian (Harris) Smith born 3 May 1913. Lillian's father was...
  7. E

Witton Cemetery Memorials

Hi, I believe that my grandmother, Lilian SMITH - nee HARRIS, born 13 May 1913 may have been burried at Witton Cemetary, but I am not able to establish this as fact as I do not have any clue as to the date of her death which could be any date from 1936..... no idea whatsoever.... Lilian (some...
  8. E

Smith Lilian

Re: Lilian Smith Thank you so much Lynda, only saw the message now, do not know how I could have missed it.... Dorothy was born to the same father as Lillian (Clement Harris), but a different mother after Lillian's mother died and Clement remarried. Great to know about Dorothy, wish I could...
  9. E

Birmingham boxers?

Hi, I am just wondering what year this photo was taken as my Grandfather was also a Birmingham Boxer who boxed between 1926 into the 1940's. His boxing name was Len "Tiger" Smith - Leonard Horace Smith. Regards, Emmie
  10. E

Hi, please to meet you! Len Tiger Smith b 1909, was my grandfather and the Son of Horace Leonard Smith and Mary Elizabeth ( Brown) His father was Joseph Smith. Leonard "Tiger" Smith's siblings was Florence Vera, Maud M, Alice and Edie. Would love to have info of your branch of our family! Please...
  11. E

Smith Lilian

Re: Lilian Smith Hi, thank you so much for the info - would love to know the address where Dorothy Harris (possible sister to Lillian Harris) lived. Any possibility of whom she married - maybe I can try to trace Dorothy's family in my effort to find Lillian's history and buriel? Please, please...
  12. E

Lillian Smith (nee Harris)

Please help!!! I am looking for the cemetary where my grandmother was layed to rest. Lillian was born in 1913 as Lillian Harris, married Leonard Horace Smith on 6th August 1934 in Birmingham, gave birth to her only child (that we know of) Mary Elizabeth Smith on 12 April 1935 and then...
  13. E

Lillian Harris was born in 1913, married Len (Leonard Horace Smith) on 6 August 1934, gave birth to my Mom (Mary Elizabeth Smith) on the 12 th April 1935 in Sowerby Bridge. Lillian was the daughter of Clement Harris and Clement was the son of Fred Harris. Lillian's mother was a Bottomley. I do...
  14. E

I am so delighted to hear from you as I have been extremely frustated for not being able to trace my grandmother's grave nor when she may have died. I know that Len and Lillian was estranged (do mot know if they were legally devorced) when Len brought my mom out to South Africa. Wendy helped us...
  15. E

Yes, it was wonderful to have made contact with Wendy - she was a blessing and gave is lots of info on our lost family that we knew nothing about, WENDY, WE HAVE HIGH REGARD FOR YOU AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE PART OF OUR FAMILY TOO - YOUR SON AND MY MOM's 6 children, Mona, Emma (myself) Koos, Jan...
  16. E

Still searching dor Len's wife- LILIAN SMITH (nee HARRIS). Their daughter just has her 77th birthday on the 12 th April 2012 and we have yet to trace her Mother Lillian or where she was burried,
  17. E

Hi! What a magical journey it has been finding Wendy H through this Forum - we have had many a chat since making contact and I have given her all the information of the family here in South Africa. I am Len "Tiger" Smith's Granddaughter - my Mom (Mary Elizabeth - Betty) is his daughter from his...
  18. E

Key Hill Cemetery

Hi, could anybody help me looking for the grave of my grandmother LILLIAN SMITH IN SOWERBY BRIDGE? She was the daughter of CLEMENT HARRIS who married ETHEL BOTTOMLEY in Halifax in 1912. Their only child LILLIAN HARRIS was born in Sowerby Bridge in 1913, she married Leonard Horace Smith on 6...
  19. E

Birmingham boxers?

Hi David, Len Tiger Smith is my Grandfather. He brought my mother with him to South Africa in 1937 when she was only 2years old and settled here in the Cape Province. Mom has just turned 76 years old - she is Len's only child from his 2nd marriage. Mom was born in Sowerby Bridge (Mary Elizabeth...
  20. E

Sarah Slater Siblings

Hi Ray, thanks - will keep looking from my side as well and post any info I find, Regards, Emmie
Back