• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery Memorials

Hi everyone
i have several ancestors buried in Witton cemetery and wondered if any kind individual would happen to have a plan of the plots for this cemetery as i understand this to be the largest cemetery in birmingham ..would be garteful for this
with the greatest of gratitude
kind regards ste

Hi, I believe that my grandmother, Lilian SMITH - nee HARRIS, born 13 May 1913 may have been burried at Witton Cemetary, but I am not able to establish this as fact as I do not have any clue as to the date of her death which could be any date from 1936..... no idea whatsoever.... Lilian (some spelling has one "l" and others have 2) was married to Leonard Horace Smith "Tiger" - Birmingham Boxer in the 1920's /40's. I have no means of checking Witton Cemetary's lists to see if her name appears (live in South Africa) and have scanned internet with no success! Hope someone out there will be able to help with my search??? Regards, Emmie

Emmie sadly Witton cemetery records are not digitised so without a date of death this may be a difficult search especially with a surname of Smith. Maybe some of our cleverer members may have a suggestion.

BMSGH - Birmingham & Midland Society fro Genealogy & Heraldry have been photographing and transcribing/computerising Witton for some time - but there are over a million burials to be done.
Try www.bmsgh.org and have a chat - they usually charge £4 for a pic of the burial Register entry for Key Hill or Wartsone Lane, so would assume similar.
Brian

Thats a better idea Brian and cheaper. The only problem Emmie has is she doesn't know the date of death and the surname is Smith so it would be a mamouth task to find..

Could someone check the electoral roll for Lillian Smith and Leonard Horace Smith - to see what year Lillian stops appearing on them?

Understandable Wendy, but an email wouldn't hurt. They may not have got as forward in their transcribing as that yet, but they may have a member willing to search through the copied records for a small fee.
It is thanks to volunteers of such organisations, that records are being made available electronically nowadays.

Brian

Emmie , is there a chance that she may have been buried with her husband,or vice versa if she died first.

Leonard Horace Smith born 30th Sept 1908 died March quarter 1978 Birmingham, Witton can check easily enough if the 2 are buried together.

Last edited:
Emmie , is there a chance that she may have been buried with her husband,or vice versa if she died first.

Leonard Horace Smith born 30th Sept 1908 died March quarter 1978 Birmingham, Witton can check easily enough if the 2 are buried together.

This is where the problem lies.... Leonard left the UK for SA in 1937 with my 2year old Mother (Mary Elizabeth Smith) and married Mona Jones in South Africa. No word was ever mentioned to my Mother about what happened to her Mother Lillian (Harris) Smith born 3 May 1913.

Lillian's father was Clement Harris who was married to Ethel Bottomley. Therefore Leonard and Lillian should have been divorced. Lillian was Len's 2nd wife - his 1st wife was Ivey Hanson and they had a daughter Avril Smith - we made contact with the family, but nobody knows what happened to Lillian after Len left for SA. Len returned to the UK after his wife's (Mona) death as well as their only child's sudden death in 1972 and died in the UK in 1977.

My Mom Betty Volschenk (Mary Elizabeth Smith) will be 79 on 12 April next year.

Any help to trace her Mom Lillian Smith's background and buriel site will be much appreciated!

Back