• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smith Lilian

rowan

Born a Brummie
Lilian Smith b. c1892 m.1934 to Stainton d.sometime in the 60's

I believe her Father was a Thomas Smith and I know that she came from Studley but.............

As with many others here, the Smith name is a nightmare:cry:

Can someone be so kind as to lookup for me any census that Lilian is on and maybe I can then start going back with some success if I know any siblings and/or her parents :beam:

I am grateful to you all for helping me :422:

Re: Lilian Smith

These are all I could find on tha 1911. The last one had Alfred as the father but as they were born in Redditch I thought I would upload it.

Thank you Lynda for your reply and your time.

Beings as the name is Smith I realise how difficult it is to trace.:cry:

I will have to see if I can glean more info from the family.

Again, thank you :)

Hi Rowan

I searched the death index for 1960 1969 and found one death in 1962 for Lilian Stainton aged 57 in Bham. ref 9c 547

This would make her birth around 1905, a bit later than your 1892.

Suzanne

Thank you so very much for your help Suzanne, I am very grateful.

That is the Lilian I am looking for............must have got the wrong
info :(

Now I can try and find more out regarding her siblings.

This lady was a most gracious lady and extremely kind to me before she died, God bless her.

That's good Rowan. At least you can search further back now:)

Suzanne

Wonder if your Lilian Smith is in any way connected to my Grandmother who was married to Leonard Horace Smith on 6th August 1934 in Birmingham at the age of 21 - I have a copy of her marriage certificate.

They had only one child (Mary Elizabeth - my mother who is now 74 years old and we live in South Africa) Lilian and Leonard got devorced a few years later and she may have remarried and have another surname, but we do not have any information

She was the daughter of Clement & Ethel Harris. Ethel (her mother) was the daughter of Jane & Edwin Bottomley.

We would desperately appreciate any information with regard to Lilian and her siblings, please, please, please:(:(:(

Hello Emmie and welcome.
Your Lilian and my Lilian are not the same person.
My Lilian never divorced.
So i am sorry but I can't help you but good luck in your search :)

Hi Rowan, I think this is your Lilian. Alcester Road Studley. She was living with her father Tom Smith 44 Gardner, domestic and mother Sarah Jane 40 Charwoman. Her dad born Aston Subedge? mother born Mickleton. Brother Albert 17 Polisher, born Aston Subedge? brother Rheuben 15 cutter off born Morton in Marsh, sister Elizabeth 12, brother Cyril 9 brother Tom 3 and Lilian 5 were all born in Studley. Registration district is Alster.

Aston Subedge GLS 1837 1932 Evesham
Aston Subedge GLS 1932 1937 Stow on the Wold
Aston Subedge GLS 1937 1974 North Cotswold

GLS = Gloucestershire

bren

Mickleton GLS 1837 1932 Shipston on Stour
Mickleton GLS 1932 1937 Stow on the Wold
Mickleton GLS 1937 1974 North Cotswold

bren

Hi Rowan, I think this is your Lilian. Alcester Road Studley. She was living with her father Tom Smith 44 Gardner, domestic and mother Sarah Jane 40 Charwoman. Her dad born Aston Subedge? mother born Mickleton. Brother Albert 17 Polisher, born Aston Subedge? brother Rheuben 15 cutter off born Morton in Marsh, sister Elizabeth 12, brother Cyril 9 brother Tom 3 and Lilian 5 were all born in Studley. Registration district is Alster.

Alster should probably read Alcester, mistransribed

Studley WAR 1837 1974 Alcester

Lilian Smith 3rd qtr 1905 Alcester 6d 698

bren

Replying to Emmie. Lillian was born a Harris to Ethel Bottomley and Clement Harris 2nd quarter 1913 registered in Halifax Yorkshire.Have sent copy of rest of family by private message.
Lynda:)

Emmie. Could only find one possible sister for Lillian. Dorothy born in Whitby in 1921.
Lynda:)

Thanks Bren for the correction, it was a giant typo on my part.

NB must remember to check typing befor pressing the button.:rolleyes:

Hi Lynda, thank you so much for the info - I am not very good at working the computer and cannot find the "private" link to retrieve the info.... thought it best to let u have my E-mail address in order that I may view the info.
THANK YOU SO MUCH - HOPE I CAN GATHER ALL THE INFO POSSIBLE BEFORE MOM LAYS HER HEAD DOWN as she is Lilian and Leonard's only child.... THANK YOU!

EMMIE top of page right hand side in blue is INSTANT MESSAGE click on that to find your private message. I have removed your Eaddress as it is not a good idea to show it in public

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, thank you so much for the info - would love to know the address where Dorothy Harris (possible sister to Lillian Harris) lived. Any possibility of whom she married - maybe I can try to trace Dorothy's family in my effort to find Lillian's history and buriel? Please, please help????:::::)))))))

Thank you so much Lynda, only saw the message now, do not know how I could have missed it.... Dorothy was born to the same father as Lillian (Clement Harris), but a different mother after Lillian's mother died and Clement remarried. Great to know about Dorothy, wish I could have contact with her decendants.

The buriel date and place for Lillian (my grandmother) is still eluding us.... That is the last piece of the puzzle to be completed......

Thank you so much for the help, most appreciated :)

Back