• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lillian Smith (nee Harris)

Emmie Germishuys

knowlegable brummie
Please help!!! I am looking for the cemetary where my grandmother was layed to rest. Lillian was born in 1913 as Lillian Harris, married Leonard Horace Smith on 6th August 1934 in Birmingham, gave birth to her only child (that we know of) Mary Elizabeth Smith on 12 April 1935 and then dissappeared in mid-air!! Lillian's parents were Clement and Ethel Harris (nee Bottomley)

Mary Elizabeth Smith (now Volschenk) was born in Sowerby Bridge and is my Mother and she was never told where her mother Lillian was. She went back to the UK to search for Lillian, but to no avail - the family at the time was not co-operative at all........

Lillian's husband was the Birmingham Boxer Leonard Horace Smith (Len "Tiger" Smith) during 1926 - 1940??

Leonard left the UK for South Africa in 1937 with my Mom Mary aged about 2 years old and Mona Meddins Primrose Jones (whom he later married insouth Africa), but no word was ever egain mentioned about Lillian.

Mary Elizabrth is now nearly 78 years old and is eager to know what happened to her Mother Lillian.

Please, if anybody can help me trace her life and her buriel site????

Back