• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. N

B'ham city police mugshots!!

I last visited GB in March 2018, and took a clipping out of ou local paper ... about the above being digitalised for searching by anyone. I forgot about it till this week when "Ancestry" gave me a "green leaf" nudge about a couple of my ancestors from the 1850's (I'd been having trouble trying...
  2. N

John T Lorton Marriage 1962

Hello, Have found a marriage for John T Lorton to Ann Wormington in 1st Qtr 1962, Birmingham (volume 9c, page 995). As I am in Tunisia, can't order the cert.... Is there a chance that the next time someone passes to the Library, they could check out whatever further info is on the cert for me...
  3. N

National Lorry Driver of the year Award - late '50's/early '60's................

Hi all, I have recently found out that my father was the regional winner for the Midlands - and went on to win the National Lorry Driver of the year award. This must have been very late '50's, or early '60's.... I think he was working for Dunlop at the time?? I've tried to find out info on this...
  4. N

Bevington - 1932 Back of High St, Bordesley

Hello, looking for Macquaker - Alice and Ellen, who gave their address at their marriages in 1932 as 7/143 High St - showing as being occupied by the Bevington family. Does anyone have any connections to Bevington that might be able to throw some light here please?!
  5. N

Catherine Burgwin - living in Vaughton Street South in 1965

Hello, Looking for a possible family contact with the above person - this is a one off, I only had the road name to go on! So, if anyone knows where she is (or children of) would be most appreciated!
  6. N

Florence M Fulwell - 1965 in Vaughton Street South

Hello, Looking for a possible family contact with the above person - this is a one off, I only had the road name to go on! So, if anyone knows where she is (or children of) would be most appreciated!
  7. N

Vaughn St West?

Don't know if I've got the spelling right, and if there is also east etc... How do I find the electoral rolls of who lived there in 1964/5? Many thanks for any help! Dynausaur of the research era!!
  8. N

James Abraham Beard

Showing as landlord of the Warwick Arms in 1879 - am trying to find parents - and ties to William Beard b1805, Shoe maker
  9. N

Hunt/Hotron 1871 Looking for links beztween - Charles Henry street?

My 2nd gr Grandfather was a builder, and married into the Birmingham Horton Family - also builders. Looking for possible links?
  10. N

Looking for (possible) Baptism records - Parents not married!

Thomas Lorton b1889 (there are 2 BMD births in 1889, one aston, one Birmingham - trying to sort which is my thomas!) Brother Frederick, b1892. Parents Thomas Lorton and Emma. 1911 census clearly show that Thomas and Emma were never married - as her surname 'Lorton' crossed out and replaced with...
  11. N

Norton Hannah b1846

I am beginning to feel that anything that has 'orton' as part of the name is related to me!! Hannah Norton, born 1846, marries to Samuel Spears in 1866 Looking for parents and family info please! Ta!!
  12. N

Neal William b1845

Born in Carlton, Leicestershire - I know, not a Brummy, but with brummy links - and trying to tie them up! Am looking for any info on his parents.... Have him on 1871 census in Birmingham with his wife and children - Occupation Brass finisher, and in 1891 as a Widower in Loughboro, occupation...
  13. N

Birmingham Dairies - Christmas!

No, I didn't work there - but my Dad did... can still remember the Ice cream blocks, brought home wrapped in white ice - which was more exciting than the ice cream - when it bubbled up in water!! Christmas...and the Christmas parties!! All us kids, stuffing ourselves, and then the singing...
  14. N

Smallwood, Louisa born c1831

Marriage to John Lorton noted 1Q 1853 - Kings Norton, Worcestershire. Not sure which church that would be, so posting here. Looking for parents of Louisa, and any witness info/address etc - as usual! Many thanks!
  15. N

marriage James Webb Greatrex - looking for his parents

Hi, again looking for help - and hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Marriage of James Webb Greatrex and Ellen Village, 9th Feb 1846 - any info on parents of James would be appreciated....(plus any other info available). Already have Ellen's parents, noted as James Village and Mary Ann...
  16. N

info plse - William Lorton baptised 14 March 1791

Hi, info got from II - is there by any chance any added info on the Parish records? - mothers maiden name (yup, I know I'm hoping here!) or witnesses? Ta's a lot!
  17. N

St George, chapel of ease to St Bartholomews - Wedding info plse!

Built in 1836, I need a wedding info confirmation please for William Lorton, married on 20 Fer 1838 - info from IGI - and any info on parents/witnesses please. Am going thruogh hoops trying to tie up family connections!! Many thanks for any help...
  18. N

Army friends c1948

Am wondering if anyone can recognise any faces here!! Probably posted in Berlin in 1950ish.....
  19. N

Marriage of John Lorton born c1778

Hi all, Hoping to find details of wife (Alice)'s maiden name. Child, thomas born in 1809, so marriage normally before that date? keeping fingers crossed for any info - many thanks!
  20. N

brass founder - 1820's

What would the job have been? Grimey, hot etc?
Back