• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Bayliss's Metal Works

I am looking again at my Smith side of the family and have seen on the 1911 census that my Great-grandfather was a general labourer at Bayliss's, and that his employer was a Metal Works. The family lived in Bournbrook and I am assuming he didn't travel far to work - but I could be wrong! Can...
  2. M

Smith Lois

I had some success with the Smith side of my family a few years ago, and found quite a lot about them. But now I have come to a stop with Lois. She was the informant on my great-grandad's death certificate in 1952 and was his grandaughter, living at Markham Road, B'ham 14. However, I had...
  3. M

Pineapple tarts

I loved these and when back visiting my father and brother before 2006 always got at least 4 (if they had them) from Greggs in Cotteridge. When I said they weren't available in Yorkhire Greggs I was told they were a regional item and only sold in the Midlands. But . . . my daughter in June and...
  4. M

Shop token

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but while I was looking for something else (it is always the way, isn't it?) I came across a 3d token made by "T. Tollett, Check Maker, 1 Caroline Street, St. Paul's" and on the reverse "E.J. White, Family Grocer, Moseley Road". Does anyone...
  5. M

Smiths - I know, but it is worth a try!

I am trying to find the maiden name of my great-grandmother and will try a website tomorrow in our local library, but wonder if there are any Smiths out there who may have a connection. My grandmother was born in Duddeston in February 1883, and I have a much-mangled birth certificate to prove...
  6. M

Which regiment?

How do I find out which regiment my grandfather fought with in WW1? There are no family records to say he did join up - but there are none on him anyway! Any help welcomed, thank you?
  7. M

Britt family

Hi, I am new to genealogy but have some family records. Alas, too late now to ask older family members, and live in Yorkshire, so its not easy to access local records. I want to find William James Romney Britt's relatives or details. He married my aunt and it seems to have been a second...
Back