• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pineapple tarts

maryt

knowlegable brummie
I loved these and when back visiting my father and brother before 2006 always got at least 4 (if they had them) from Greggs in Cotteridge. When I said they weren't available in Yorkhire Greggs I was told they were a regional item and only sold in the Midlands. But . . . my daughter in June and my son in August weren't able to get me any and my son was told that they don't make them anymore!!!!! Is it because I stopped visiting Brum?

My son and daughter were passing through and wanted to show Cotteridge to their partners.

Oh I rememebr those but not from Greggs. Maybe Lewisses?

Hi Maryt: I remember the Pineapple Tarts made by George Baines in particular but I also remember Lewis's sold them as well. I looked everywhere last October when I was in Brum for them. Couldn't find any at all. I used to buy Pineapple Tarts from George Baines on Stockland Green back in the mid 1950's. I loved them and took them to work for my mid morning break.

Mary come back to Brum quick. I will ask at our local Greggs in the week sometime and let you know. They have stopped making their pies I do know that and are just doing the pasties. Jean.

Oh yes, Baines rings a bell, and so does Lewis's. I can't remember the name of the shop where Greggs in Cotteridge is now, but it may have been a Baines. Perhaps if they will still make them they will send some up to my local branch? Or shall I come back every month or so?

I have been looking for recipe (spotted a niche market here) but they are all for a Malysian or Chines version but I did find this advert.

Hi I'm sure pineapple tarts were made by Wimbush's who had shops all over Birmingham. I remember them by the trayful

Didn't I know them as pineapple creams? They had a pineapple base in a tart and were covered with cream and then iceing. Mom used to treat me to one every week. Lovely.
Lynda

You're absolutely right Lynda. They were lovely. My Mom liked them with a cuppa.

Called into another Greggs shop today and the shop assistant whispered "go to firkins they do them there". Jean.

Called into another Greggs shop today and the shop assistant whispered "go to firkins they do them there". Jean.

Yes! Firkins! It still exists eh? Marvelous! I thought Firkins had disappeared eons ago. Oh what simple joy, as an adolescent, to ask ''got any Firkin cakes?!?!''
icon6.png

I agree - should it not be slivers of crystallised green stuff - How could I forget Angelica (almost my sisters name)

Firkins are a West Bromwich based company that lost a number of branches when the company was rationalised. A family company they make superb bread and cakes ....and pineapple tarts that look delicious. I remember during the late 70s there was a flour shortage and bread was in short supply. I was working at the old Sandwell General Hospital on nights and the company brought fresh bread for the staff at 4 am each day as they didnt want night staff having to wait in bread queues after work. Pineapple tarts here I come.
https://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/f...idlands_baker_comes_to_Firkins_92_rescue.html

I don't like them, but my brother in law does and he has had them from Marks & Spencers in Solihull. If you are on the South side of Birmingham, they do them at Beckett's Bakery at Wythall.

Back