• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bayliss's Metal Works

maryt

knowlegable brummie
I am looking again at my Smith side of the family and have seen on the 1911 census that my Great-grandfather was a general labourer at Bayliss's, and that his employer was a Metal Works. The family lived in Bournbrook and I am assuming he didn't travel far to work - but I could be wrong! Can anyone tell me where the firm was in 1911 please? I googled Bayliss and found there are firms of that name in Birmingham today, but none quite fitting the description of Metal Works. I know this doesn't mean they haven't developed and changed over the last 100 years, but information would be helpful. Many thanks.

It has to be said that there is a possibility that he may not have worked in the area where he lived, I say this because in 1911 there would have been the Tram or Buses that he could have used, or he may have had a bike ? , in the 1911 directory there are too many Bayliss,s to rule out,

I am looking again at my Smith side of the family and have seen on the 1911 census that my Great-grandfather was a general labourer at Bayliss's, and that his employer was a Metal Works. The family lived in Bournbrook and I am assuming he didn't travel far to work - but I could be wrong! Can anyone tell me where the firm was in 1911 please? I googled Bayliss and found there are firms of that name in Birmingham today, but none quite fitting the description of Metal Works. I know this doesn't mean they haven't developed and changed over the last 100 years, but information would be helpful. Many thanks.

Yes, he lived in Selly Oak so could have easily travelled to town or to quite a few suburbs. I'll keep on looking into this, thank you.

My parents worked for a company called Bayliss's in the early 1930's before they were married,

Mom worked as a chromium plater, She lived in Hockley. Dad lived in Aston so I would imagine the Bayliss's they were employed by was local to where they lived.

Back