• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Britt family

maryt

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I am new to genealogy but have some family records. Alas, too late now to ask older family members, and live in Yorkshire, so its not easy to access local records. I want to find William James Romney Britt's relatives or details. He married my aunt and it seems to have been a second marriage for him. They lived in Selly Oak/Bournbrook. I have very vague recollections of him, but no actual records of marriage or death. Can anyone help please?

Hello & welcome MaryT :)

May i suggest that you add to your lovely 1st posting by giving a few more details,
Could you put Dates or approximates for William J R Britt, birth? marriage & who he married,,Surname if poss but 1st will help,
Folks on here will soon assist your new searching Ok,
Cheers & best regards to Yorkshire, JohnY :cool:

Welcome MaryT:)

It helps if you can give a few clues about your family, dates places anything.
You will be surprised what clever folk are on this the best Forum you could find anywhere, I was and I'm still here after 3 years.So get searching those scaps of information and enjoy the ride.

there is a marriage of a william j r britt to edith m collins in 1912

cert details district kingsnorton 6c 944 apr to jun

chris

sorry john !!!

theres also a marriage of william j britt to elizabeth duggan in 1917 bromsgrove apr to jun 6c 405

chris

Ok,, you, you,,Fast Lady :rolleyes: I think your posted marr to Edith M Collins is the right one,
Need more info from Mary T to correlate the bits together,
Looks like the "Britt" surname came up from Essex/Epping, down souf anyway,
3 or 4 William James Britt,s 1890 +/-5 born down thataways,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Wow, I am impressed by the speed with which you answer!

Right, my aunt was Catherine (Kit) Harris born in Bournbrook in 1906, but as I say, I have no details of William (except he was known as Bill). The only reason I know his full name is that it was on my aunt's death certificate. She died in 1992.

Are the details you have from your searchings, or can I access them easily?

thank you all. Maryt

details are from the free birth marriage and death index online. wonder whether what ive given you is correct though as if it is william must have been a lot older than your aunt catherine.

chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, Bill was apparently a bit older than Auntie Kit. I DO wish I had started this family history when family were alive! But I expect a lot of people say that. Mary

Thank you all once again. I now have my aunt and William's marriage certificate and there was a 36 year gap between them! It has, of course, his father's name on it and occupation and I think this will be easy to follow up as his name was Moses. The family seem to have come from Sussex, so although they are not directly connected to my family it will be interesting to see how far I can go with them, and find out which one of the suggested two ladies he married before Catherine!

1891 No 2 Worthington Park Villas,Long ditoon Surrey

Moses britt age 40 b. Heathfield Sussex Baker
Frances age 39 b. Gravesend Kent
Harriett 19 Epsom surrey
John 17 b. Epsom
Florence 12 b. Croydon
Maude 9 b.Croydon
William 6 b. Surbiton
Walter 3 b. Surbiton
Violet 6 months b. Surbiton

1901 Tolworth surrey No 1 Douglas terrace

Moses age 51,Frances age 49 with
Florence,Maude,Violet,William age 16(a butcher),Walter and Bertram age 6

Can any one help me with George Britt, B. 1900-1910??? I am trying to find surviving relatives. George was a pioneer Speedway rider 1928-30 and raced around the midland tracks

Thanks, Nigel

hello nigel

there is a george herbert britt born 1906 apr-jun kingsnorton 6c 471

maybe this is your man

chris

Thanks for your efforts Chris.

I have a low quality photo of this rather handsome dark haired young man seated on his motorcycle. I have some brief accounts of his racing exploits, other than that he is a complete mystery.

I'm at a loss to find anything about his Speedway exploits. Nigel:)

Welcom Mary T. I will have to start tracing my ancesters. Keep saying I will but havn't got round to it YET. Jean.

Back