• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Crocketts Road, Handsworth 1901

I'm trying to find out anything about 116 Crocketts Road, Handsworth in and around 1901 when the census shows a William Howell present as a "coal dealer and greengrocer" although I believe it was owned and run by John Howell. Does anybody have access to any records or trade directories that...
  2. P

Metropolitan Road, Saltley

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place but my father was born at 9 Metropolitan Road, Saltley in the 1930s and I would love to see any images of this small road ..... as would my father who is struggling to remember much about it ! Does anybody have any photos or can point me at any...
  3. P

Young William (1860 - 1916)

Every twelve months or so, I repost something on my ancestor William Young who is a total blockage on my family history research. One year, somebody is going to make sense of it all so here's hoping one of you will do the magic ! William Young married Elizabeth Ann Howell at Bordesley in 1883...
  4. P

Missing from 1901 census ?

My ancestral family show up nicely on the 1911 census as ....... YOUNG, William Head Married Machinist England Birmingham (1856) YOUNG, Elizabeth Wife Married 17 years England Birmingham (1863) YOUNG, Edward Son Single Sawyer Wood England Birmingham (1895) YOUNG, Arthur Son School England...
  5. P

Where do I go to search records ?

I'm 100% used to doing all my family history research on the internet via the usual sites but I'm blessed (not) with having a very common surname and most of my ancestors seem to have very common first names and rarely any middle name ! As a result, I'm stuck with so many possibles from birth...
  6. P

Interpreting Electoral Roll

On the 1922 Electoral Role for the address I'm investigating, I have three individuals ......... HO Elizabeth O Elizabeth Ann R William Do the codes to the left give me any information as to their relationships, ie: can I deduce that HO Elizabeth is the mother and O Elizabeth a likely...
  7. P

Red Warrior Buses

A few images of Red Warrior buses from I believe 1930s (first two) and maybe post war with the last one. The Red Warriors were owned by my great great uncle Arthur Young who also ran the Red Warrior Sportsmens Club in Earlswood post war and also owned several greyhounds and racehorses. The...
  8. P

Can anybody make sense of all this ?!!!

I have quite a long story to tell that summarises the log-jam in my family history work. I'm not sure I'll ever prove things 100% but I have quite a few "jigsaw" pieces and would value the opinions of others as to what the likely "picture" looks like. Here goes ........ WILLIAM YOUNG (b1857)...
  9. P

Where's this bus ?

Anybody know where this bus is sitting ? Equally, anybody have any recollections of Red Warrior buses/coaches or further photos ?
  10. P

How do I trace service record ?

I have an Arthur Young with details 61766 Pte., 2 A.M., RAF on the 1918 Absent Voters list. Firstly, what does the "2 A.M." stand for and, secondly, can I access any data with this information ? Any help appreciated.
  11. P

Arthur Young. Red Warrior Coaches / Red Warrior Club

Interested in absolutely any info relating to RED WARRIOR COACHES (Kellys 1934 - 1944) of 73/74 Ashted Row and later 65/67 Hurst Street. Also RED WARRIOR CLUB in Earlswood (post WW2 ?). Where was it, what was it, who ran it, photos, info, etc, etc. Any help appreciated.
Back