• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where's this bus ?

Paul33

master brummie
Anybody know where this bus is sitting ?

Equally, anybody have any recollections of Red Warrior buses/coaches or further photos ?

redwarriorbus.jpg

The buses in the background look like old single decker Midland Reds so date wise I would think that this is 30s to early 40s. It seems to me that Stillgo had a bus like that.

It is a Maudslay SF40, one of the first 'modern' looking coaches of the thirties where the engine compartment was hidden away, although at the front, allowing an entrance in front of the front axle.
Behind is part of the side of a Midland Red 'ON' class bus of the thirties (difficult to judge the exact model when I can only see half a window bay!) and the rear end of...either a Leamington 'Green' or a Stratford 'Blue'.
I suspect it's a Stratford Blue, because you can just see through the Maudslay's windows a roof mounted advertising board for Flower's ales, as was carried by most Stratford Blue buses.
So, it could be Stratford, Warwick, Leamington or any of the larger villages or small towns in that area.

The 1940 Kelly's lists a Pratt, Chas.Jsph., shopkeeper, as being at 83 Nineveh Road Handsworth.
The 1964 Kelly;s lists a Pratt ,Chas. E at 159 Worlds End Lane
Mike

Sounds more like Handsworth then.

The bus behind has "LEAMINGTON" on the back board (just looked at the original image).

Still could be either a Stratford Blue or a Leamington Green. Certainly not in Birmingham, it's out in the sticks somewhere!
It possibly is this one, Leamington 'Green' no. 6, also a Maudslay-but a much earlier one! You can see the brackets for holding the roof advert boards.

Has anyone got a trade directory for Warwick town, to check for Chas Pratt? It looks vaguely like the market square there, which was (and still is) used as a small bus station.

Would it be posible to get a scan of the legal lettering on the side of the coach as the bus may have been run by a local firm Red Line of Emscote Road Warwick this can only be confirmed by a better scan

It was owned by Arthur Young's 'Red Warrior' coaches of Hurst Street, Birmingham. In the late 40's they moved to Earlswood.
The Maudslay SF40 (also called the 'Magna') was produced in the mid to late 30's and the registration BOC 610 is also Birmingham c 1934-5.

It was owned by Arthur Young's 'Red Warrior' coaches of Hurst Street, Birmingham. In the late 40's they moved to Earlswood.
The Maudslay SF40 (also called the 'Magna') was produced in the mid to late 30's and the registration BOC 610 is also Birmingham c 1934-5.

Here he is in 1940

Was that the same address as Worthington's Motor Tours in Hurst Street later? (40's to 80's?)

Was that the same address as Worthington's Motor Tours in Hurst Street later? (40's to 80's?)

Yes they appear from 1947 (1946 the directories will be a year out )
a name with red in the title was the thing in the 1930,s there was a Red and White Service in Whittall St but not for long

Paul33, Have you forgotten you started a thread about Red Warrior coachs/club?, go to search at the top of the page and type Red Warrior coachs/ club.

Paul33, Have you forgotten you started a thread about Red Warrior coachs/club?, go to search at the top of the page and type Red Warrior coachs/ club.

What am I looking for ?

The only real info on other threads is what I've posted. The Red Warrior Sportsman's Club was a den of some (dis)repute in Earlswood and many Brummies were bussed out for a night of serious drinking and, if local rumours are right, much, much more.

I'm surprised at how few people have any recollections or memories of the place so I'm always looking out.

My underlying interest comes from the fact that club and buses owner, Arthur Young, was my Great Great Uncle and appears to have a real black sheep reputation within surviving family recollections so I'd love to know more about him.

I know he raced many greyhounds by the name of Red Warrior xxxxx and was also rumoured to have spent time in jail on tax evasion charges and was also declared bankrupt at some point - probably at the end of the Earlswood club era (late 60s).

Paul33, This is a copy of the email i received from Bill with attached photos of his Mom & Dad in the Red Warrior club the photos are posted on the other thread i thought i had posted it. Email copy-
When I first posted my questions about the red warrior club in. Earlswood Solihull I really did not know too much about it a private drink dance club with not a very good reputation by all accounts from the few reply’s that I have received. My interest stemmed from a couple of photographs that I found amongst my late father’s belongings of he & my mother obviously having a nice time at the red warrior club as was printed by the photographer, on the two photographs that I found dating back I would guess to the late forties early fifties dad did mention that they used to have a good social life prior to me & my brother coming along but as to any history of the club I am not able to help you I did ask a local person in earlswwod as to its whereabouts & as it happened It did actually used to be behind his neighbours house which was on the B4012 earlswood common approx 300yds on the left hand side going away from the reservoir public house, I have attached the three pictures that I have. William

Back