• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Brum Burgin

Kings Heath

I remember Bebbingtons very well.My great aunt used to take me there to buy me clay marbles.They weren't as heavy as glass ones but a lot cheaper.I also got took there every year to see Father Christmas.He was at the back of the store with a big bran tub full of presents,which would be wrapped...
  2. Brum Burgin

Kings Heath

I remember Bebbingtons very well.That was where my great aunt used to take me to buy me clay marbles.They weren't as heavy as glass marbles but they were a lot cheaper and there weren't many glass ones about .It was also where I got took to see Father Christmas every year.He was at the back of...
  3. Brum Burgin

DUNKIRK

Thankyou Phil,brings it all into perspective.
  4. Brum Burgin

WW1 Service records for Private George James no.24586

Thankyou Barry,that info could be very useful.Paul,I will certainly give that a whirl,thanks very much. Colin,that is my Granddad.Thankyou very much for that.It even gives the date he married my Gran which I didn't know. This is a great site and there are great people on it.Thankyou very much all.
  5. Brum Burgin

DUNKIRK

My Dad told me that,although he had shrapnel in his head, he and another soldier carried their Sergeant between them for two days to get to Dunkirk .They waited three days to get on a boat.When they did finally make it the boat was sunk by aerial fire within half an hour and they had to retreat...
  6. Brum Burgin

WW1 Service records for Private George James no.24586

Hi folks,can someone point me in the right direction please.My Granddad Private George James no.24856 of Oxford & Bucks light infantry.I would like to try and find out where he was during the war and what he did.I know that he was in Salonica in Feb 1919 but what he did before then I don't know...
  7. Brum Burgin

Memories of Malta

Great work cookie.DaveM,I suppose you were down the"gut" like the rest of us matelots.
  8. Brum Burgin

Kingsway Picture House Kings Heath

So sad,I have lots of happy memories of the "Kingsway".At least they can't destroy those.
  9. Brum Burgin

Navigation Street

I'm almost certain it would be the same shop Yvonne as there probably wouldn't be two taxidermists in the same street.Sorry I can't help you much with memories,I just know it was on the corner of Navigation Street and Suffolk Street and they had stuffed animals in the window.All the paintwork...
  10. Brum Burgin

All Saints Church, Kings Heath.

Oh dear,another landmark gone in the name of progress.
  11. Brum Burgin

Navigation Street

That shows clearly the Victory cafe in Navigation st.This side of it was the typewriter shop and on the corner at 58 is the taxidermists.
  12. Brum Burgin

Castle Vale

I didn't live on Castle Vale but,in the late 80's a brand new Mobil petrol station was built opposite Castle Vale next to the Drome cafe and I was given it as my first appointment as a manager.Two memories of my time there are,on our commissioning day we opened up and allowed the first 100...
  13. Brum Burgin

A Piece - Sandwich

We used to go on an adventure for the day when we were on the six week holiday.We would take a couple of pieces of jam(sugar if I got to make them) and a bottle of council pop.That would see us through till about six at night when we arrived home after conquering the world.
  14. Brum Burgin

Dance school

What a great memory that is Sistersue61.No I never went there,I just knew it was there as I worked just a bit further along Navigation St. at a Typewriter shop,and I was living at West Heath so I didn't hang around that long once work was over,but it always seemed a busy place,people coming and...
  15. Brum Burgin

Les Burgin in Egypt

Aren't they wonderful.We must preserve them for posterity.Here are one or two more of mine.
  16. Brum Burgin

Les Burgin in Egypt

We are so lucky to have had these guys on our side and also to have all these memories.
  17. Brum Burgin

Dance school

When I worked in Navigation st in the late 50's there used to be a garage just along from us and above was a ballroom dance school.Can anyone remember what the garage was called and also the dance school? While I'm on,can you remember Chetwyns gents outfitters on the corner of Navigation st and...
  18. Brum Burgin

Les Burgin in Egypt

It seems as if all these old soldiers are from the same mould sistersue61.Great photos john70,love the headgear.
  19. Brum Burgin

Middleton Road,Kings Heath

Yes,thankyou Colin.I think I will have to make the effort and join Kings Heath History society.
  20. Brum Burgin

Les Burgin in Egypt

Yes they do Jean,Dad was at the one in Lichfield.It seems to be the same with all these old soldiers,they just don't like talking about their memories of the war.
Back