• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Piece - Sandwich

Never heard of it spose it,s a girlie song sung while skipping in the playground while we boys played proper games like British Bull Dog.Dek:cool::cool::D

Scuse me!!! I am OFF TOPIC I used to hang upside down off lamposts played cricket in the entry's and marbles. Ask Patty?. Jean.

Last edited:
Don,t forget a piece good old Tomato Dip ,or a piece of fried bread.

Oh what merories that brings back i used to go to the cafe by Furnace lane when i come out of Gower St school at dinner time. Max

I think this is it.

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot - nine days old.
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot - nine days old.

Jim thanks but where did it come from?. I am racking my brains here?. I realise it is Peas now and not piece. As my dad would say "daft apeth". Jean.

Last edited:
'Daft appeth' reminded me of my old grandmother's expression when she would say 'You're ten-a-penny' meaning you are daft or silly.

I used to have a 'piece' with either red sauce, sugar or drpping on it, mmmmmm.
I haven't used the term in years though.

A piece was always a sandwich to my 3 brothers and I. We'd say "Can I have a piece" , meaning a piece of bread & dip" (either the dripping or bacon lard) or Jam. In our house if you wanted a piece, you got a sandwich and of course what was on it, was whatever left-over’s you had in the pantry.

Same here. a piece was slice of bread with jam or dripping or with my great aunts soup /stew - a pot always on the stove in the scullery with remains of everything in, just got addedto constantly, but the best thing out on a cold day or if you were poorly! Think it would break all health and safety rules now though!!
Sue

We used to call it a piece, I remember putting brown sauce on, and calling it a brown spotted piece.

We used to go on an adventure for the day when we were on the six week holiday.We would take a couple of pieces of jam(sugar if I got to make them) and a bottle of council pop.That would see us through till about six at night when we arrived home after conquering the world.

We used to go on an adventure for the day when we were on the six week holiday.We would take a couple of pieces of jam(sugar if I got to make them) and a bottle of council pop.That would see us through till about six at night when we arrived home after conquering the world.

Just like that in my case, but sometimes we got to make orange juice with the concentrate from The Carnegie in Hunters Road.

Sometimes I had a 'piece' with slices of apple - also a 'piece' with a slice of cake - the later only if mom was 'a little better off that week]. Miriam.

Sometimes I had a 'piece' with slices of apple - also a 'piece' with a slice of cake - the later only if mom was 'a little better off that week]. Miriam.
Only saw 1 apple a year and that was with 1 orange in me stocking at Christmas there was 15 of us in our house. Dek

Hi to all.
Yes as a kid i often had a piece of echo marge (yuk) with sugar on it. also i remember scraping the lard out of the meat tin, spread it on a piece, then sprinkle some salt on it. When you look back to the time you were a kid, it is hard to imagine the things you used to eat. If i had tinned tomatoes i would put sugar in those aswell. Thank goodness our tast change with age.

Stars

Back