• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Nigel Edwards

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

My favourite is; when asked if that is Mr ******, I say no, but I'll get him for you . . . . . ! they have a LONG wait. Or the "Sorry we only rent this property" is a good one.
  2. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Comments , both here and in the transport press, about the enormous cost of restoring 486. Lloyd, modest as he is, outlines some of the obsticles without mentioning the pivotal part he played in both the original rescue of this bus and subsequent hands-on participation in its magnificent...
  3. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

In 1957 when I became a driver we were told never to pick-up inside the city boundary as it contravened licensing regulations and disiplinary action would follow. In my time things were very strict, I still have some disiplinary 'hearing' notes for 'running early', and uniform 'misdemenours'...
  4. Nigel Edwards

Moor Street Station

Like this . . . .
  5. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Hi Roy, I was doing some Trolleybus research recently (what else in 'lockdown) and came across the 'Mail' article you referred to. Hope this helps
  6. Nigel Edwards

Across Birmingham on the 29A

Good to hear you are a fellow member of the Wythall Museum! I try hard to get there once a year (at least) from my home in North Yorkshire. I have donated quite a few old items to Wythall in the past. Talking about destinations, I began - in 1957 - as a driver with Midland Red and, although...
  7. Nigel Edwards

Across Birmingham on the 29A

I must have traversed the 29a from Baldwins Lane to Pheasey - back and forth - many times! As a 'rabid' bus nut in my teens I would wait for hours (non-school days and holidays) at the Baldwin for my 'tamed ' Drivers and Conductress(1) who would let me ride free there and back. Getting the...
  8. Nigel Edwards

Eatonways Coaches (Hay Mills)

Hi Folks, nice posts followed my original, I have more 'snaps some of the Eatonways fleet which may be of interest. My days with them as a driver were in the early 60's - I remember taking a few trips 'over the water' including a trip to the "Le Mans" racetrack. The 'bread-and-butter' day trips...
  9. Nigel Edwards

Midland Red at Digbeth

Mike, What a great shot-might even have been me at the wheel! I may be going senile at my tender 75 year point but IF my memory serves I used to have the Wythall terminus at the Maypole (where the huge Sainbury is now) and return to Acocks Green along Maypole Lane onto Colebrook Road. Looking at...
  10. Nigel Edwards

Eatonways Coaches (Hay Mills)

Does anyone remember this Coach Company - later sold to Bowens? :rolleyes:
  11. Nigel Edwards

Birmingham buses

Yes indeed, This was a 1937 batch of Daimler COG5's and, in 1949,No.978 received the English Electric H28/26R body from No.842 , it served well until 1960 when it was withdrawn and, I assume, then sold to this outfit in Cardiff
  12. Nigel Edwards

Midland Red at Digbeth

Hi, Just found the site and the Pic of 4035 - thought I recognised 'the old girl' from my early days with MR! Found my log of training days - wonder if anyone remembers any of these instructors?
Back