• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

The oldest bus at Wythall Museum is this Tilling Stevens of 1913, one of the 30 taken over by the corporation from the Midland Red company shown as now alongside a colourised picture of it as new.

O 9926  26  Harborne Colour copy.jpg

26  O 9926 Wythall.jpg

I have just acqùired thè late David Harvey's last booķ?,Birmingham s Crossley Buses, although a lot of the photos are dark,a lot are of interest, because of the background behind the buses, of Birmingham in the fifties and sixties. I questioned whether it is his last book, because in mid 2021, Amazon were advertising this for March and a similar title for Daimler for April. If you liked the Crossley, we'll worth looking at.
Bob
The Daimler book was apparently not completed and the project is on hold. That came from Amberley publishing.
Bob

I loved the old buses, jumping off the platform at the back before it stopped was the best part of the journey, plus having
a crafty after school fag upstairs on the way home. I don't ever remember riding on a Midland Red bus though, weren't
they for the longer routes out of town?

I don't ever remember riding on a Midland Red bus though, weren't
they for the longer routes out of town?
Mainly, yes. They had to charge a higher 'protective' fare for journeys wholly within the city boundary, some of which was forwarded to the corporation in lieu of lost revenue as a result of a famous agreement in 1914 between the Corporation and Midland Red. For details, refer to Post https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ham-corporation-bus-history.13584/#post-98540 "1914 - Birmingham Corporation takes over Midland Red city routes"

Mainly, yes. They had to charge a higher 'protective' fare for journeys wholly within the city boundary, some of which was forwarded to the corporation in lieu of lost revenue as a result of a famous agreement in 1914 between the Corporation and Midland Red. For details, refer to Post https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ham-corporation-bus-history.13584/#post-98540 "1914 - Birmingham Corporation takes over Midland Red city routes"
Thanks for that confirmation Lloyd. I knew nothing of the 'agreement' with the Corporation.

Thanks for that confirmation Lloyd. I knew nothing of the 'agreement' with the Corporation.
In 1960's lived on A41 Warwick Rd. On occasions if we were in a hurry to get into Brum and feeling affluent we would "request" the Solihull midland red to pick us up. Often however the drivers would fail to stop and we would need to use the regular BCT bus.

Last edited:
The nearest bus route to my home was Midland Red 179 but was an hourly service, so inconvenient. Stratford Road services were farther away - 150/154/181. Consequently we crossed the Birmingham boundary and caught the famous 29A at Baldwins Lane which had a regular service.

Last edited:
In 1960's lived on A41 Warwick Rd. On occasions if we were in a hurry to get into Brum and feeling affluent we would "request" the Solihull midland red to pick us up. Often however the drivers would fail to stop and we would need to use the regular BCT bus.
When I joined the Midland Red as a driver in 1973, I was told by some of the older conductors, on inward bound services "Don't stop for 'Corpo' passengers inside the boundary". It was their laziness not to have to go round the bus again collecting fares. I didn't agree to this, and often would pick them up if hands went out in request, my excuse being that I didn't want to be hauled up 'in front of the gaffer' if a letter of complaint came in, quoting the registration of the bus I was driving at the time. It wasn't long before the conductors went, replaced by 'one man operated' buses to save the extra wage.

In 1957 when I became a driver we were told never to pick-up inside the city boundary as it contravened licensing regulations and disiplinary action would follow. In my time things were very strict, I still have some disiplinary 'hearing' notes for 'running early', and uniform 'misdemenours'. Memories of walking along Robin Hood Lane to the Island for the 5am Staff pick-up for Digbeth still linger . . . . . ! DD37463

Comments , both here and in the transport press, about the enormous cost of restoring 486. Lloyd, modest as he is, outlines some of the obsticles without mentioning the pivotal part he played in both the original rescue of this bus and subsequent hands-on participation in its magnificent restoration. Just look at the mammoth task confronting all those involved and the end result!Then & NOW (1).jpg

Last edited:
If such "clean" technology is available now. Why are they still persisting with the Digbeth metro extension with the utter chaos it is currently creating during it's construction and the metro will only ever be able to travel where tracks have been laid. The metro technology seems to me to be a quarter of century out of date. Am I so wrong?
No, you aren't. The problem is, public transport is 'run' by politicians now, who have no understanding of its requirements. 'Clean' buses, hydrogen, electric (trolleybus, rechargeable battery or even bi-mode where engines are only run out of urban areas) have long been available technologies, but without commitment from operators to fund design and purchase, no development will be made. 'Metro' (Tram to those of us who remember them) is a continental thing, so got EU funding. That isn't there now, but will 'those in power' see the way to changing their minds? No, because that would mean saying they were wrong in the first place. The only way to succesfully promote public transport is to make it free (i.e. funded from taxation - nothing is 'free'!) which is about the only incentive to get people out of their cars and onto the bus. And for those who will wail "It can't be done!" - read this: https://www.mobiliteit.lu/en/tickets/free-transport/

If such "clean" technology is available now. Why are they still persisting with the Digbeth metro extension with the utter chaos it is currently creating during it's construction and the metro will only ever be able to travel where tracks have been laid. The metro technology seems to me to be a quarter of century out of date. Am I so wrong?
No…Yor are correc!
Many large engined vehicles are being converted to green hydrogen particularly in Austrian railways et Al.

The hydrogen technology is still very experimental, and when the Digbeth extension was planned not in existence. Although the defence industry seems to be able to get vast amounts of money for new ideas which do not turn out, it is not practicable for public authorities (or should not be) to do the same . I might suggest one other advantage . With railed vehicles there is the eventual possibility of fully automated control , which would largely solve labour problems (including strikes) . Indeed that is practiced on the Docklands light railway, although I gather at present a driver has to actually be there also in case of problems. I do not personally believe that this would be possible in the near future for individual buses

Quite a proportion of bus revenues must come from pensioners passes. Quite a proportion of bus revenues must come from our ancient codgers passes. Of course they are not useable in early rush times., which probably must cover a lot of the passenger's journeys

Quite a proportion of bus revenues must come from pensioners passes. Quite a proportion of bus revenues must come from our ancient codgers passes. Of course they are not useable in early rush times., which probably must cover a lot of the passenger's journeys
The pensioner pass is of little use if there are no buses. The only way to make buses viable in rural areas is to subsidise them. That used to be achieved by cross subsidy from well used routes. Cross subsidy was stopped in order to deliver contracted out services and destroy local authority control.

Pensioners passes can be used at anytime, however, when used "out of hours" a £1 charge is made for any journey. John.

My mom tried to get tokens for me, too. They said my journey was not ten miles ( I was traveling from Ash Road, Saltley to Hodge Hill Grammar) so, my Uncle took the journey with me and measured the miles in his car, it was just over ten miles. So, my Uncle or Mom, can’t remember, queried this and they said it was just the length of the bus journey not the whole journey.
My mom tried to get tokens for me to go from St Wilfreds Hodge Hill to St Wilfred Martineau 3 buses 56 Castle Brom to Fox then the 11 then the 14 , but she could not get them as journey was not long enough as they calculated as the Crow flys, so had to go to Hodge Hill Comp, and to this day never seen or met any of my class mates since i left 52 years ago

Back