• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midland Red at Digbeth

Hi, Just found the site and the Pic of 4035 - thought I recognised 'the old girl' from my early days with MR! Found my log of training days - wonder if anyone remembers any of these instructors?
Yes, Obi Grainger took my assessment at Bearwood, on former C1 coach later dual-control trainer bus 3311.
I wish I had driven some of those early types you did, FEDD and SON. The only 'stick box' buses left when I started were the S16 single deckers, and one D7 (4114 at Dudley).

C1 trainer 3323 in Herbert Rd, Bearwood about the same time as I was starting on the 'Red'.

View attachment 45682Hi, Just found the site and the Pic of 4035 - thought I recognised 'the old girl' from my early days with MR! Found my log of training days - wonder if anyone remembers any of these instructors?

Like yourself I was passed out on my company test in 1963 by Mr Birch. Mr Grainger was still among the instructors but all of my training was with a chap called Dennis Morton, at that time the youngest instructor ever appointed and not well accepted by his older colleagues in the school!

Thanks for the welcome, motorman-mike. Sadly I was never a Red man (merely an enthusiast - a Red boy?) so I didn't know either of those gentlemen you mentioned. But gibbo2005 (now of Queensland) was a Sutton driver and probably knew them. I'm really enjoying the forum and the banter of the experts.

hello motorman mike i remember both of them i am still in conctact with David Oughton he caqme over here for a holiday a few years back i worked with him for some time when i became assistant foreman in the garage he has not changed much Allen

hi again thylacine we did have some fedds in sutton at that time and had the pleasure of driving them on the 107 we also had some guy arabs then too Allen

hello motorman mike i remember both of them i am still in conctact with David Oughton he caqme over here for a holiday a few years back i worked with him for some time when i became assistant foreman in the garage he has not changed much Allen

I remember talking to to Dave about that visit when he got back but hadn't made the connection that it was you he had been to see. Here is a photo of Dave taken on board CM5 4780 last November on the M1 Motorway. The other chap is Graham Stone who you might also know from Midland Red.
Mike

Last edited:
Here is a nice reminder of one of my favourite routes when I was at Digbeth, the 170 between Acocks Green and Wythall. The location is Truemans Heath cross roads, Hollywood travelling from Wythall. Surprisingly the petrol station is still trading but now sells Jet fuels from self service pumps under a canopy. Gone now is the telephone pole carrying all those wires and a mini roundabout has been installed just to the rear of the bus . The bus stop has also been relocated to a new layby out of sight to the right (beyond the present day mini roundabout). I shouldn't think they get many of those Austin 3 way vans over in the petrol station these days either!

Here is a nice reminder of one of my favourite routes when I was at Digbeth, the 170 between Acocks Green and Wythall. The location is Truemans Heath cross roads, Hollywood travelling from Wythall. Surprisingly the petrol station is still trading but now sells Jet fuels from self service pumps under a canopy. Gone now is the telephone pole carrying all those wires and a mini roundabout has been installed just to the rear of the bus . The bus stop has also been relocated to a new layby out of sight to the right (beyond the present day mini roundabout). I shouldn't think they get many of those Austin 3 way vans over in the petrol station these days either!
Hi. Mike. Thats a great photo, brings back some good memories eh. it was one of my favourite routes also.

2010-04-01 08:51:40

Yes Mike a lovely picture!

For the enthusiasts its Midland Red 3254 (registered JHA854 BMMO S8 new in 1948 with Metro-Cammell B40F body and rebodied by Roe to B44F in 1951). It lasted until 1963. Any idea of the date of the picture?

It’s seen near the BaMMOT Museum at Wythall (https://www.bammot.org.uk/index.asp) whose collection lacks an S8. Does anyone know of any survivors of this type?

There is (or was) an S8 rescued from a scrapyard in Huntingdon many years ago, but in near derelict condition - probably suitable for spares only, if it still exists. Don't know which one. Interestingly in the days before Wythall museum site was acquired, some of the (then) few preserved buses in the west midlands were kept at a farm down Trueman's Heath Lane, behind the Austin van in the picture.

One day the Thylacine will have to come over to the UK to visit Wythall, Crich, Cobham, Aston Manor, Dudley etc etc. And perhaps meet up with some of my new Brummie friends. One day (sigh ...).

Indeed you will. Mike and I live (seperately!) about ten minutes drive from the Wythall museum, and we both regularly attend there. Personally I have been involved with the museum since before its inception, being a founder member of the society which grew into the charitable trust that runs the place.

We'll see ... Actually I've been thinking of becoming a member of BaMMOT. It sounds like my kind of place!

The Wythall Museum's a very friendly place, too. I have very warm memories of meeting Lloyd and others on my birthday party outing there two years ago. I think the others enjoyed themselves, too.
Peter Walker

Somehow I knew that it would be, Peter. I'm a regular visitor to the Wythall website and the various picture sites. One day I hope to see it "in the flesh"!

Mike, What a great shot-might even have been me at the wheel! I may be going senile at my tender 75 year point but IF my memory serves I used to have the Wythall terminus at the Maypole (where the huge Sainbury is now) and return to Acocks Green along Maypole Lane onto Colebrook Road. Looking at this shot it looks like the filling station at the junction of Colebrook and Yardley Wood Road in which case the lovely old S6 was going TOWARDS the Maypole. Perhaps I am getting confused with the 172? which was the one that used Haslucks Green Road and then turned right onto the A34 at Shirley? Will I ever sleep soundly again ? . . . . . . . . . . .

Mike, What a great shot-might even have been me at the wheel! I may be going senile at my tender 75 year point but IF my memory serves I used to have the Wythall terminus at the Maypole (where the huge Sainbury is now) and return to Acocks Green along Maypole Lane onto Colebrook Road. Looking at this shot it looks like the filling station at the junction of Colebrook and Yardley Wood Road in which case the lovely old S6 was going TOWARDS the Maypole. Perhaps I am getting confused with the 172? which was the one that used Haslucks Green Road and then turned right onto the A34 at Shirley? Will I ever sleep soundly again ? . . . . . . . . . . .
Hello Nigel. The 170 used to terminate in Middle Lane Whythall and reverse into Chapel lane to return back to Acocks Green, the 172 used to terminate on the main Alcester Road at Barkers Lane, where it reversed into, from the Maypole they both used the same route into the Green, at least they did when i was a driver in 1964.

Nigel when I joined the Red in 1962 there were two services to Wythall from Acocks Green. (Both followed the same route between Acocks Green and the Maypole where there was a Birmingham City Transport terminus outside the Maypole pub).

170 Acocks Green via Olton Church - Shirley - Maypole - Truemans Heath - Grimes Hill - Wythall Cross Roads (Middle Lane/Alcester Road) later extended to Middle lane/Chapel Lane junction then again to Chapel Lane Church.

172 Acocks Green via Olton Church - Shirley - Maypole - Drakes Cross - Barkers Lane/Alcester Road junction. (Old timetables show the original terminus was at Hill Lane/Alcester Road junction before extending to Barkers Lane).

During school terms only a morning double deck 149 operated from Birmingham to Silver Street School, via the 170 route from the Maypole, continuing along Middle Lane to turn right into Silver Street with an afternoon return journey. Also showing 149 was a single deck journey from Maypole to Silver Street School using the 172 route from the Maypole but diverting at the Packhorse Hotel via May Lane/Shawhurst Lane/Alcester Road to Silver Street with a afternoon return journey.

The location of my photo was indeed Truemans Heath as described in my posting.
Mike

Last edited:
Back