• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

hi ray
not many people remember now, just how hard life was in those days I worked for about 6 weeks once in the pawn brokers on the bristol road selly oak just before the railway bridge coming from town towards selly oak and the poor old ladies and gents who came to pawn wedding rings and watches and this was early `1960` and the like make your heart weep I hated it and didn't last long the old boy who owned it was a bit of a skin flint he paid me 7/6 for sat morn.
paul

:)
thank you elizebeth and david
I lived in adams hill in the 50's and I remember when the terminus at the top of jiggins lane facing hudsons the paper shop was a tram terminus with a green wrought iron shed about 25' long with seats in side beside it was a cafe. I do remember in harborne in the late 50's early 60's a greasy spoon cum frothy coffee cafe with a duke box in was in a little passage way across the island from the duke of york pub, just up the road which went to selly oak, I don't suppose you remember the name of it
regards
paul
.Hi Paul i don't remember the cafe i moved to Harborne in the 60s but the alley way i think,which was by Princess corner
post office, could have been Albert walk i will find out for sure for you,i'm sure somebody on here could post a photo for you i dont know how to or i would liz

Elizabeth,
Can you remember the name of the quaint little pub,that backed onto St.Peters churchyard in Harborne?.I have forgotten.:rolleyes:

Elizabeth,
Can you remember the name of the quaint little pub,that backed onto St.Peters churchyard in Harborne?.I have forgotten.:rolleyes:
Hi do you mean The Bell thats a lovely little pub went there a few times in my youth it was so popular,on a summers evening they would spill out on to the street,before they had a drink

hi ray
not many people remember now, just how hard life was in those days I worked for about 6 weeks once in the pawn brokers on the bristol road selly oak just before the railway bridge coming from town towards selly oak and the poor old ladies and gents who came to pawn wedding rings and watches and this was early `1960` and the like make your heart weep I hated it and didn't last long the old boy who owned it was a bit of a skin flint he paid me 7/6 for sat morn.
paul
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=52.457826,-1.956914&spn=0.000183,0.000431&t=h&z=21&lci=com.panoramio.all Paul Stacey i found this not sure i have put it in the right place this is a map of part of harborne you might find it interesting

hi ray
paul
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=52.457826,-1.956914&spn=0.000183,0.000431&t=h&z=21&lci=com.pa noramio.all paul this is a map of part of harborne you might find it interesting

hi liz
you are absolutly right it was the little ally that ran between harborne park road and albert road, it was half way down I cannot remember the actual last time I visited but the record on the juke box was batchalour boy by cliff richards, did you ever go to the sat morn picts at the royalty? , my mom and sister worked at woolworths on a sat morn and when I went on a date in the evening to the royalty I used to love to go to the fish and chip shop down by the pub not far from wooly's. I had a girl friend when about 14, she lived next to the toy maker chad valley didn't go out with her for long she dumped me for a blue coat boy, cannot even rember her name but when ever I hear "Poetry in motion" by jonny tilletson , I can see her face as plain as day. funny
regards
paul

Hi Paul apparently a lot of Albert Walk has been demolished and is a car park,when i lived in Harborne the Royalty was a bingo hall,I worked in Woolworths and the Chad Valley late 60s early 70s,the pub you mention was that the junction, I will put a couple of photos in my album you might like to look at, liz

hi liz
thank you for replying it makes the years fade away, I would love to see any photo's, I only have very happy memories of that time unfortinatly these are starting to erode.
kind regards
paul

Corner of High St and Serpintine Rd, Paul opposte Harborne Park Rd

Dek,i am sure you are right i just thought it looked like Carr's Lane.
Thanks Lloyd,Old Square i would never have guessed that.
Moss.

Further proof, here is GEC/Leyland trolleybus 11 on the Nechells route which terminated at the same point pre-war. The buildings behind match.

Remember traveling on that trolley bus many times used to get on at the Turks Head Bloomsbury St get off at the terminus at Cookoo Bridge walk over the bridge and catch Midand Red 114 to Walmley.Dek

Hi Lloyd

Trolleybus No 11 Reg No. OV 4001-03, Chassis supplier Leyland T-B2, Body Maker Short, Seats 48, 1931 to 1940.

Ray

Further proof, here is GEC/Leyland trolleybus 11 on the Nechells route which terminated at the same point pre-war. The buildings behind match.

If you look at the Trolleybus picture and the bus picture you will see that it is almost at the same place.

The bus picture is a little bit down from a Business called Richard Hunter Ltd, i personally don't have any knowledge of these people if you can confirm address of business it will give you the location.

In the book Birmingham Corparation Tramways P 114 there is picture of an AEC trolleybus on Nechells no. 7 route.

Ray

Yes indeed, This was a 1937 batch of Daimler COG5's and, in 1949,No.978 received the English Electric H28/26R body from No.842 , it served well until 1960 when it was withdrawn and, I assume, then sold to this outfit in Cardiff

There is another picture somewhere showing the old trollybus converted from a petrol engine one. They kept the radiator for some reason.

There is another picture somewhere showing the old trollybus converted from a petrol engine one. They kept the radiator for some reason.

No, it was the other way about, they were Leyland trolleybuses but had dummy radiators. OV 1175, the demonstrator and BCT 1-11. Other operators ran AEC trolleys with dummy radiators eg Southend.

Here's the front of 978 in Jones' scrapyard on Cardiff Docks after Ray Prance finished with it. April 1964.

This looks like an EX Birmingham bus to me.
Moss.

814, blown on its side by the blast of the bomb that gutted Highgate Road Garage in 1940. It was rebuilt, the chassis receiving like 978 one of those English Electric bodies intended for Manchester Corporation (until the chassis were lost at Daimler's Coventry works in the blitz) in 1942, lasting then until 1960. Amazingly, the damaged body from 814 was also rebuilt and fitted to bus 901 in 1941! Desperate times!
Here is 814 at Bird's scrapyard, Stratford, in 1961.

Back