• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Elizabeth Moseley

Hi, I am reviving my family history by having another attempt to identify lost relatives from 1800s. The first family I am interested in are seemingly absent from the 1891 Census. They are Rowland, Mary Ann, Julia Alice, Elizabeth and Walter Moseley (Moseley often misspelled as Mousley, Mawsley...
  2. M

Poor Rate

Can anyone explain what is meant by the Poor Rate. Birmingham rate books I am looking at for early 1900s mention the Poor Rate for the rating district. The gross rate is about £12 10s for properties in the street in Aston I am looking at. I understand that the Poor Rate has its origins in the...
  3. M

Frustrated

Hi, I am becoming increasingly frustrated in being unable to trace two of my female ancestors from 1800s Birmingham using online resources. I know the last census record they appear on with their parents (1851 and 1881 respectively), but in spite of many years searching Ancestry, FreeBMD (which...
  4. M

Hornibrook

Hi, I am interested in hearing from anyone related to my maternal grandmother, Lily Hornibrook, daughter of George Edward and Emma Hornibrook. The family were originally from London, but moved to Yardley in the early 20th century, settling in Harvey Road. Unfortunately, Lily died before I was...
  5. M

Moseley Elizabeth

Hi, I have been struggling for a number of years to find out what became of my ancestor, Elizabeth Moseley. She was born in Aston in about 1872 to Rowland and Mary Ann (nee Barlow) Moseley. She disappears from census records after 1881 and I have been unable trace her. I have used this Forum to...
  6. M

Jessop Robert and Alice May

Hi, I am interested in hearing from anyone who is related to a Robert and Alice May (nee Moseley) Jessop, who in 1911 were living in Gilbert Road, Smethwick. Robert was a baker. I am unable to identify any records beyond the 1911 census. Can anyone help? Thanks.
  7. M

Jackson Mabel and Ann

Hi, I am interested in hearing from anyone related to Mabel and Ann Jackson, daughters of Eliza (nee Moseley) and Thomas Jackson who in their later years lived at 60 Livingstone Road, Kings Heath. Ann married an Arthur Woodman Marlow, but I have not been able to identify any records for Mabel...
  8. M

Hunt Ann and Thomas

I am trying to find an 1871 census record for Ann (born 1838) and Thomas Hunt who had two children Selina (born about 1857) and Henry (about 1861). In 1861 they lived in Alcester Street, Birmingham, but the trail then runs cold. I know Selina married in 1876, when she was living at Jones Street...
  9. M

Compasses Tavern Alcester Street, Aston

Hi In 1861 my ancestors lived next door to the Compasses Tavern in Alcester Street, Aston. I have been unable to find any information about this pub. There was a Compass Inn in Brearley Street, but this is not the same location. Any one heard of it?
  10. M

Emmigration via Belfast

Hi, Not a Birmingham question as such, but it does relate to Birmingham people. Thought I would try this forum first. I have discovered that the head of the family of my ancestors that emmigrated to Canada lived for at least two years in Belfast and other family members appear to have...
  11. M

Family tree maker software/template

Hi, This must have been asked before, but I could not find this by the search tool. I am looking for a free or relatively cheap online family tree maker or template which allows a 'one page' view and print option showing all generations. Commercial software, such as My Heritage require you...
  12. M

Mill Lane, Northfield

I am trying to identify any historical material on Mill Lane. My ancesters lived at 1 and 5 Mill lane betwen about 1905 and 1915, having moved from the Cadbury Estate. They were employed as piano case/cabinet makers. The original houses do not appear to exist anymore, so I am unable to take...
  13. M

Moseley

Hi, Looking for any marriage records for:- 1. Ann Moseley born 1838 in Aston and lived in Howe Street in 1851. Father is Joseph and mother Ann. 2. Eliza Moseley born about 1841 and lived at 153 Brearley Street in 1871. Mother and father as above. Many thanks.
  14. M

Moseley Joseph b c1838

Hi, I am looking for 1871 census record for Joseph Moseley married to Sarah, possibly employed as hook rim and clasp maker, aged about 34. Thanks.
  15. M

Moseley Walter

Hi, Grateful for any information on a Walter Moseley, who, aged 31, lived in Aston in 1911 and was employed as a naval brass worker. He had two sisters, Laura and Dorothy. I am particularly interested in any info on a marriage. Thanks.
  16. M

Digbeth Town Hall

Hi, Just rediscovering this site; hope to make more use of it soon.Anyway, I went to a concert last week at the HMV Institute, which has been Digbeth Civic Hall and Digbeth Institute. It looks like an old music hall/theatre inside, but Wikipedia suggests it started life as a church, which seems...
  17. M

King Kong

Hi, Not perhaps the 'statue' this forum was thinking about, but does anyone know if there was a reason why a scuplture of King Kong was commissioned for Birmingham. I have seen the earlier post on this subject and we can confirm he is alive and well in Penrith! Thanks.
  18. M

Marriage records 1860s/1870s

Hi, I thought I would try another one for you helpful people. Having difficulties identifying the marriage records for my female Aston ancestors in the mid to late 1800s. They disappear from the family census between the 1851 and 1881 census: I assume because they got married and had not...
  19. M

Howe Street

Does anyone have any information on Howe Street in Duddeston and Nechells? My ancestors lived there from 1835 to 1860s (must have been some of the earliest inner city housing). It is now a mere full stop before Millennium Point - I guess the very old housing would have been cleared a long time...
  20. M

Birmingham Streets - photographs

Hi, I am trying to add interest to a family history I am currently working on by adding photographs of the roads my ancestors lived in. However, many are changed due to clearances etc. Are there any good sources for old photos/histories of streets, ie when housing was cleared. I am...
Back