• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Elizabeth

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

I have been struggling for a number of years to find out what became of my ancestor, Elizabeth Moseley. She was born in Aston in about 1872 to Rowland and Mary Ann (nee Barlow) Moseley. She disappears from census records after 1881 and I have been unable trace her. I have used this Forum to try to identify marriage records (with no success) and I have not found a death record that fits. I know her sister, Dorothy, emigrated to the US in the early 20th century, but I have no evidence that Elizabeth joined her. If anybody can help with this I would be grateful. Thanks.

Re: Elizabeth Moseley

Elizabeth Moseley born 4 May 1872, baptised 26 May 1872 St George, Birmingham
Parents Rowland Moseley & Mary Ann. Father Brassfounder, 24 Rodway St.

1891 – 19 court 12 house Camden St. I assume number 77
Ann Moseley 54 – Widower, Confectioner
Elizabeth Moseley 19 - ditto
Arthur Moseley 15

At 79 Camden St. Charles Moseley & family, confectioner.

Elizabeth may have married the following in Q3/1895
Joseph Othnield Perry
Benjamin Williams

Regards
Clarkie

hi clarkie
i know of a clarkie from elizebeth rd edgbaston ; and also of a mosely from edgbaston whom emigrated to south africa way back in the seventys whom spoke of there reies whom was living out there for donkeys years before they sold up the hotel on the hagley rd edgbaston ; happy easter astonian;;

Hi astonian, there are a lot of us about, this one lived in and around Northfield. Clarkie

Elizabeth did marry Joseph Perry in 1895. In 1901 they are living in Camden St. at the same address but James is noted as head. They have a son Charles. Elizabeths mother is with them and brother Arthur is noted as boarder. Brother Charles is still next-door.
By 1911 they had 4 children but 1 had died they are now at 4 Bk 84 Camden Street, Birmingham. Too many possible deaths for Elizabeth I’m afraid. Clarkie

Hi Clarkie, I agree this looks possible, but alas it is not the one. Elizabeth's mother died in 1895 and I know from a family tree drawn in 1950s and census records that she did not have a brother called Arthur. The family tree, drawn by a person alive at the turn of the last century, does not record a marriage for Elizabeth or a death date, which is very odd. Looks like this is set to remain a mystery.

Hi Clarkie, I agree this looks possible, but alas it is not the one. Elizabeth's mother died in 1895 and I know from a family tree drawn in 1950s and census records that she did not have a brother called Arthur. The family tree, drawn by a person alive at the turn of the last century, does not record a marriage for Elizabeth or a death date, which is very odd. Looks like this is set to remain a mystery.
Not sure if you are still on this forum? My maiden name is Deborah Moseley and my father was Alfred Sidney Moseley and the only facts I have been able to find is that he was born in 1918 . His mothers name was Violet Moseley who lived at 68 Camden Street Birmingham. Violets parents were John and Phoebe Moseley also of 68 Camden Street. Not sure if this could be linked (but 2 Moseley's from different families living houses apart seems a little strange).

Elizabeth Moseley born 4 May 1872, baptised 26 May 1872 St George, Birmingham
Parents Rowland Moseley & Mary Ann. Father Brassfounder, 24 Rodway St.

1891 – 19 court 12 house Camden St. I assume number 77
Ann Moseley 54 – Widower, Confectioner
Elizabeth Moseley 19 - ditto
Arthur Moseley 15

At 79 Camden St. Charles Moseley & family, confectioner.

Elizabeth may have married the following in Q3/1895
Joseph Othnield Perry
Benjamin Williams

Regards
Clarkie
hiya, im percy moseleys grandaughter, i have a few Elizabeths on my Ancestry Uk, Ill look for you if youd like.

Not sure if you are still on this forum? My maiden name is Deborah Moseley and my father was Alfred Sidney Moseley and the only facts I have been able to find is that he was born in 1918 . His mothers name was Violet Moseley who lived at 68 Camden Street Birmingham. Violets parents were John and Phoebe Moseley also of 68 Camden Street. Not sure if this could be linked (but 2 Moseley's from different families living houses apart seems a little strange).
lots of us Moseleys about .

It appears that the Elizabeth Moseley in Mr Zippy's original query is not the Elizabeth that married Joseph Perry and lived in Camden St.

There were 2 Elizabeth Moseley registered around the same time.

Shirley Moseleys son Mark Smith. Bobo being buried today. RIP
Condolences. If you can help me in any way to trace details of my father i would be very grateful . we were always told he grew up in a Dr Barnardo's home in Birmingham. I received a reply from Dr Barnardo's today stating they have no records.

Condolences. If you can help me in any way to trace details of my father i would be very grateful . we were always told he grew up in a Dr Barnardo's home in Birmingham. I received a reply from Dr Barnardo's today stating they have no records.
hiya, i will do what ever i can, i have full subscription on my Ancestry site, iv also done my DNA, Percy Moseley married Florence Lakin. Percys dad was Charles and Ada. . i can send you my Email if youd like it. xx

hiya, i will do what ever i can, i have full subscription on my Ancestry site, iv also done my DNA, Percy Moseley married Florence Lakin. Percys dad was Charles and Ada. . i can send you my Email if youd like it. xx
Sounds great, although i assume we cant be related as i have also done my DNA and im on ancestry .

However, whilst you may not be related to the Elizabeth Moseley of the original query it is probable that you are related to the Elizabeth Moseley that married Joseph Perry. Who did live in Camden St.

John Moseley (Violet's father) and Elizabeth Moseley (Joseph Perry's husband) appear to be brother and sister. They both seem to be the children of John Moseley and Ann Darley.

Sounds great, although i assume we cant be related as i have also done my DNA and im on ancestry .
WOW Yes you are correct John Moseley and Ann Darley are my great great grand parents. My great grand parents are John and Phoebe Moseley, John being the son of John and Ann. Violet is my grand mother whose parents were John and Phoebe. We have nothing on my grand father and have assumed my dad was illegitimate. Do you know anything more about any of these? Thanks for this, this is the closes I have got to anybody knowing anything .

WOW Yes you are correct John Moseley and Ann Darley are my great great grand parents. My great grand parents are John and Phoebe Moseley, John being the son of John and Ann. Violet is my grand mother whose parents were John and Phoebe. We have nothing on my grand father and have assumed my dad was illegitimate. Do you know anything more about any of these? Thanks for this, this is the closes I have got to anybody knowing anything .
Ah so Elizabeth would have been Violets Aunt and my dads Great aunt?

You were right first time, Elizabeth would have been Violet's aunt and your dad's great aunt.

There doesn't appear to be a marriage for John and Ann, and Ann appears to have had an illegitimate daughter (Julia Ann) registered as Darley. There were then 2 sons before John and Elizabeth (Charles and Henry), though I'm not sure if they are Ann's or perhaps a previous wife.

On the 1901 census Charles is also listed as living on Camden St. Living with him is his (half/step) sister Julia.

Your father was listed as Moseley with no mmn, which implies he was illegitimate. I assume you know Violet married in 1920 and sadly died in 1927.

You were right first time, Elizabeth would have been Violet's aunt and your dad's great aunt.

There doesn't appear to be a marriage for John and Ann, and Ann appears to have had an illegitimate daughter (Julia Ann) registered as Darley. There were then 2 sons before John and Elizabeth (Charles and Henry), though I'm not sure if they are Ann's or perhaps a previous wife.

On the 1901 census Charles is also listed as living on Camden St. Living with him is his (half/step) sister Julia.

Your father was listed as Moseley with no mmn, which implies he was illegitimate. I assume you know Violet married in 1920 and sadly died in 1927.
Yer I had found out the details on Violet but didn't know about Julia . I cant seem to find any details about where my dad was through his childhood. You have been really helpful, thank you so much.

Unfortunately, there's little info available apart from ERs and he wouldn't be on them. He is listed at 1 back 19 Francis Road on the 1939 register.

He should appear on the 1921 census, which will be released next year. Apart from that, there may be school records but you probably need to know the school and I'm not sure where you would find them.

Did he have younger half siblings? There appear to be some Austin/Moseley births.

Unfortunately, there's little info available apart from ERs and he wouldn't be on them. He is listed at 1 back 19 Francis Road on the 1939 register.

He should appear on the 1921 census, which will be released next year. Apart from that, there may be school records but you probably need to know the school and I'm not sure where you would find them.

Did he have younger half siblings? There appear to be some Austin/Moseley births.
Could be Violet did marry a George F Austin.

I assume you're not in touch with any of them then. Maybe they would know something, if they were still alive.

I had a quick look but could see no obvious connection. Violet's grandfather seems to be a John Moseley b1825ish Staffordshire, whilst I think Percy's grandfather appears to be a George Moseley b1842 Stratford.

So if there is, it's before that.

I had a quick look but could see no obvious connection. Violet's grandfather seems to be a John Moseley b1825ish Staffordshire, whilst I think Percy's grandfather appears to be a George Moseley b1842 Stratford.

So if there is, it's before that.
Percy W. H. Moseley. son Of Charles Moseley & Ada Boulton. x

Hi,

I have been struggling for a number of years to find out what became of my ancestor, Elizabeth Moseley. She was born in Aston in about 1872 to Rowland and Mary Ann (nee Barlow) Moseley. She disappears from census records after 1881 and I have been unable trace her. I have used this Forum to try to identify marriage records (with no success) and I have not found a death record that fits. I know her sister, Dorothy, emigrated to the US in the early 20th century, but I have no evidence that Elizabeth joined her. If anybody can help with this I would be grateful. Thanks.
i Have Emily Elizabeth, Known As Elizabeth... she married Skitt.

Yer I had found out the details on Violet but didn't know about Julia . I cant seem to find any details about where my dad was through his childhood. You have been really helpful, thank you so much.
Dr Banardos could be mistaken for the area St Barnabas may be.

Back