• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Howe Street

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Does anyone have any information on Howe Street in Duddeston and Nechells? My ancestors lived there from 1835 to 1860s (must have been some of the earliest inner city housing). It is now a mere full stop before Millennium Point - I guess the very old housing would have been cleared a long time ago?

Through trawling through this super site, I have some info on the other streets of my ancestors, but there appears very little on Howe Street. Any help much appreciated.

Attached are maps for howe st for 1890 and circa 1910 and howe st from kellys in 1855
mike

1890_map_howe_st.jpg

howe__st_c_1910.jpg

kellys_howe_st_1855.JPG

Thanks Mike Jee. Interesting that most of the trades lists are shopkeepers/retailers. My ancestor was a brassfounder who lived at 33 Howe Street. I have one photo of the area provided in response to a previous post, but I may need to take myself down to Central Library for more photos of this street.

Mr Zippy,

Here's the other end of Howe Street, sorry I can't find the bit in the middle.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells AB Row.JPG
    Nechells AB Row.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 41
I have my gt.grandad + family living in 1 court 2 Howe Street on the 1901c, so it was very intereting to see the photo taken on the corner. Thank you Phil. His name was James Draper, with my grandfather - Frederick. I don't know anything really about this area - even though I was brought up on Park Lane!

Thanx to Di Poppitt (Thanx Di) I've just discovered that my Gran, her first husband and my aunties were living at 58 Howe St in 1911. The premises were of beer a retailer, this is confirmed by the 1855 Kelly's list posted by mikejee. Thanx Mike and pmc1947 for the pic's I coukdn't believe my luck when browsing the search to see what we had on the forum for Howe St.

Chris/Pom

Last edited:
It seems that Howe St is quite popular amongst some members, for my mother was born in Howe St in 1918. I believe at number 8, though not too sure about that.

Terry

I lived in Howe Street when I was a little girl, I was there until I was about five, I can't remember the number, except that it was off the main road in a courtyard, something back of something!!!!! also there was a murder when I was there, I can remember a few details about it, it happened in the house that we backed on to.

There was also a corner shop run by Charlie and Irene Bush.

Regards trebor

Interesting photo Phil i noticed on the clock"Acme Toys" did they have a factory there i seem to remember "Chad Valley Toys being there but maybe i was wrong all this time. Dek

Back