• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

St Pauls Church St Pauls Square

Thanks Alan, In contemporary diaries and drawings from the 1820s-1830s, I have seen the terms chapel and church used, although chapel is more common. Mark
  2. M

St Pauls Look Ups

When did St. Paul's change from being a 'chapel' to a 'church' - or were the terms used interchangeably from the beginning? Mark
  3. M

Key Hill Cemetery - Grave P.407 uncovered - Barber family

Astonian, You may be referring to another Barber family, as this one was Baptist. Richard Barber (c.1761 - 1845) was a wealthy four-times married resident of Soho Hill, Handsworth, Staffordshire when he died. Mark
  4. M

Reinterment at Warstone Lane Cemetery from St. Thomas' Church, 1953

Many thanks for your efforts Wendy. Mark
  5. M

Reinterment at Warstone Lane Cemetery from St. Thomas' Church, 1953

I understand that burials at St. Thomas' Church were reinterred at Warstone Lane Cemetery in 1953. Please could someone check such a re-burial for a John Chesshire (born c.1789, buried St. Thomas' Church 17th Oct 1830). Mark
  6. M

Brian and all, My hearty thanks to all those involved in this restoration project. There are many family descendents keen to see this happen. It looks like an excellent job. Mark
  7. M

D Day Medals

The 'Red Devils' were the British 6th Airborne Division - parachute and glider troops together with various attached units, including batteries of the Royal Artillery. You may wish to look at: 6th Airborne Division and Attached Units (go to Order of Battle in the left-side menu)...
  8. M

D Day Medals

doug1944, Was your father-in-law with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment? I am researching similar campaign medals to those in your photo on the left, privately named to 5105311 S. M. RYDER of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was either with the 2nd Battalion or the 1/7th Battalion. Mark
  9. M

Brian, Great detective work - thankyou. I can see the 'knobbly' grave and the two large upright headstones to its right (to the left of the bush in the older photo). Are any of the N Section graves on the FKWC restoration list visible on the older photo? Shortie, Looking at some of these...
  10. M

Thanks Rosie and Brian. Referring back to the photograph of P Section posted earlier by Wendy (and again here), can anyone confirm an extant known grave in this view? A before / now comparison photo would be most interesting. Mark
  11. M

Brian, Thankyou for these images. The resolution is not clear enough to spot P.407 but I have been offered a copy of the plan for Section P by another Forum member. If I need another copy, I shall contact you. I am puzzled as to why there are graves on the paths - or paths on the graves? Mark
  12. M

Thanks Brian, I give my thanks to Bob too. Where can one obtain numbered grave plans of the various Key Hill Cemetery Sections? The FKWC? Is 'Handsworth' a register office? How many stones have been uncovered and raised to date and how many are uncovered / raised on average each week...
  13. M

Wendy, Thankyou for showing the photo - it is remarkably detailed when expanded. Is there a date recorded on this image? Is there a plan of the graves available? I could use this to locate P.407 using the chapel and the extant vertical memorial (to the Mercer family) adjacent to P.407 as...
  14. M

Thanks Polly, If anyone has an old photograph of Section P, I would be interested in a copy, although locating grave 407 could be a hard task! Mark
  15. M

Another Key Hill Cemetery memorial stone has been uncovered recently by the famous Brian Southwell of The Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries. Please see attached images (courtesy of Brian Southwell, March 2011). The inscription reads: In affectionate remembrance of RACHEL...
  16. M

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Thankyou Wendy - this is very useful. Would this memorial have been removed completely or buried? Mark
  17. M

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Wendy, Please could you check for: GEORGE INSHAW - died 6 George Street, Lozells, Aston Manor, 13 July 1885, age 78. Are there any other names INSHAW listed? Mark
  18. M

Hospital Street

Thankyou for your efforts in determining this location - I now have a better understanding of how these houses were laid out. Mark
  19. M

St. Paul's Church, Birmingham - grave memorials

Thankyou for this advice. Mark
  20. M

Hospital Street

Would this photo be of the front or back of 37-45? It looks like a rear courtyard. Would 'back of 43' have been a single address or a number of addresses? Mark
Back