• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

D Day Medals

doug1944

master brummie
View attachment 65868View attachment 65867Hi. Don`t know if this has been covered before. I think it was in the late 1980`s that a medal was struck for D Day participents, but to receive the medal, recipiants had to travel to France. Obviously this was out of the question for many people who could not travel, and the cause was taken up by the British Legion. They were successful and in the early 1990`s (I forget the actual date ) there were ceremonial presentations. My Father-in-law Stan was very proud to receive his medal, along with 32 comrades from D Day, from a French Dignitary and even now, as a 94 year old, with dementia, it remains his proudest possession. Let us NEVER forget the bravery that these men showed.

hi doug, I agree entirely with you and Postie, I am fighting a claim for higher war pension from the VA for health problems due to my service, at the moment and the Legion are representing me and have been a tower of strength. My father in law Ken West 48 Commando landed on sword beach and he told me horror stories as what these brave men accomplished under intense fire, I hope that the people of this country never forget the bravery and commitment shown by the two generations WW1 and WW2 veterens who are still being supported by the British Legion.
regards
paul

doug1944,

Was your father-in-law with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment?

I am researching similar campaign medals to those in your photo on the left, privately named to 5105311 S. M. RYDER of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was either with the 2nd Battalion or the 1/7th Battalion.

Mark

Hi MAW. Father-in-law was conscripted into war at Norton Barracks at Worcester, which I presume was the Worcestershire Regiment. However later on he was with Royal Artillery. I don`t know anything else about his war record as,View attachment 65887 although he is still alive aged 94, he has very bad dementia. A Dutch friend refered to dads battalion as `44 Red Devils`.

The 'Red Devils' were the British 6th Airborne Division - parachute and glider troops together with various attached units, including batteries of the Royal Artillery.

You may wish to look at:

6th Airborne Division and Attached Units (go to Order of Battle in the left-side menu):
https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/frames.htm

Mark

during the war, men conscripted into one regt could be moved to another, my next door neighbour len went into the suffolks but was posted to the royal scot's.

Back