• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery - Grave P.407 uncovered - Barber family

Picture above is definitely taken from the top of the catacombs looking towards chapel rear acroos Section N

View attachment 65869
To the right of the big tree at left hand edge is a headstone with 'knobbly' bits on top - This is shown in front of the grave with the flowers in, midway between the big bush on right & tree on left

Well done Brian you are right it's the back of the Chapel so looking across section K. I must admit I was a little mystyfied as I couldn't see the Siviter memorial.

Thanks for putting the photo's together Dave.

Brian,

Great detective work - thankyou. I can see the 'knobbly' grave and the two large upright headstones to its right (to the left of the bush in the older photo). Are any of the N Section graves on the FKWC restoration list visible on the older photo?

Shortie,

Looking at some of these flat, upright and flat-with-upright memorials, I am beginning to think that grave P.407 may have had an upright part at its head - but this would require the flat part to be shortened in order for the two to fit into the space allowed. It looks as if the 'flats' on the mixed types are a little shorter than those that are only flat. Is the stone on P.407 a long or short type?

Mark

Hi Mark,

sorry missed your post on this thread.
Most of our restored N section headstones are lining the path from the chapel to the catacombs, just visible in the older pic. For some strange reasonm, the paths do not run between the sections! Section N has 2 more rows of graves on the other side of the path! they had been toppled like domino's, lying on each other.
N540 is very left of the old pic (this side of path) and N386 is, I think, the 'shiny' flat stone in the centre of the new pic partly behind the tree.

I'll try and get some pics and post them next week.

P407 is definitely a full flat stone - 7 ft long.

Brian

Slightly of topic (Barber Family,,Grave ) but just wanted to say well done to "Friends of Key Hill/Warstone Lane"

and Mandy Westrop of Service Birmingham ( I T Services for B,ham City Council) who have donated a cheque £4,000
for restoration of of graves (topple test-damaged & vandalised) and continued good work repairs & clean-ups of both sites.

The article has a very good presentation in our very own Birmingham Mail in todays edition.. Well done to All,, JohnY
ps Sorry for interruption,,please continue thread..

View attachment 66233 Still off thread (slightly), Todays Birmingham Mail announcing our fantastic grant courtesy of Service Team Birmingham,
Just waiting for quotes on putting a couple of Big 'uns back upright! - watch this space!

Just my opinion but I think the last two posts would be better on the main Key Hill thread - I think some people may not see this news article on this thread :)

View attachment 69794View attachment 69793View attachment 69792View attachment 69791 WE were hoping to have this raised and reset at on the surface at Easter, but the stonemasons asked if they could delay slightly due to an overrun elsewhere ona job - (They had been working at Coldstraem, Berwick, where a river was washing away it's bank - and part of the cemetery!)

naturally we agreed, as they do such a good job. They have extracted the memorial this week (broken in 2 when 'buried' by the Council), backfilled, obtained and set a concrete base, and affixed the memorial. 1 of 4 done this week out of the 13 they have done for us.

Well worth the wait to see another memorial brought up from below after 45 years of enforced burial!

Very many thanks to the family for sponsoring such wonderful restoration work!

Brian and all,

My hearty thanks to all those involved in this restoration project. There are many family descendents keen to see this happen.

It looks like an excellent job.

Mark

Bernice Barber was my great great great grandmother. It is wonderful to know that people have been kind enough to give their time (and money!) to restore the family headstone. Thanks to anyone involved in this wonderful project. I will happily make a contribution to the funds needed for restoration work. Just tell me who to make a cheque payable to and where to send it.

The barber family lived in a big house many years ago and they was wealthy and they was of a Jewish faith and oirin
I done some work for them many years ago when I was involved with the Jewish commutity and the synogog of edbaston
And one of them had a title of Dr , I think its Russell rd oppersite cannon hill park side entrance it was a huge house with a big drive and they lived next door to an television presenter at the time obvisiuosly they are no longer there but there is area celebs still living up there today
It may be a start to check back wards from the address and for the period but there again it should be in the records of the cemetrys astonian

Astonian,

You may be referring to another Barber family, as this one was Baptist.

Richard Barber (c.1761 - 1845) was a wealthy four-times married resident of Soho Hill, Handsworth, Staffordshire when he died.

Mark

Back