• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery - Grave P.407 uncovered - Barber family

MAW

proper brummie kid
Another Key Hill Cemetery memorial stone has been uncovered recently by the famous Brian Southwell of The Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries.

Please see attached images (courtesy of Brian Southwell, March 2011).

The inscription reads:

In affectionate remembrance of RACHEL, wife of RICHARD BARBER, who died in the faith of God's elect, May 23rd 1842, aged 41 years.
Also CAROLINE BARBER, who died August 1st 1889, aged 82 years.

The stone (Section P, Grave 407) marks the burial of seven members of my ancestral Barber family (Richard Barber 1845 is my 5 x Great Grandfather):

1. Rachel Barber, died 1842 = third wife of Richard Barber below
2. Richard Barber, died 1845 = head (married four times)
3. Bernice (Barber) Dixon, died 1848 = daughter of Richard Barber above (first marriage)
4. Frederick Barber, died 1868 = son of Richard Barber above (first marriage)
5. Sarah Ann Barber, died 1871 = ?
6. Samuel Barber, died 1879 = ?
7. Caroline (Shore) Barber, died 1889 = second wife of Frederick Barber above

The memorial inscription includes only Rachel (No.1) and Caroline (No.7), although Richard (No.2) is mentioned as the husband of Rachel.

I am puzzled as to why there is no inscription for the other five family members as recorded in the Key Hill Burial Register for grave P.407.

Would there once have been a separate memorial / ornament elsewhere or perhaps on top of this slab?

I would be surprised if the names were omitted as an economy measure as these people were not poor. Indeed, Richard Barber (1761-1845) owned and let a number of residential properties in the Birmingham area.

Could anyone suggest a reason or a research route?

Mark

Mark, welcome to the forum :)and well done to Brian for finding your headstone. How wonderful that it seems to be in such good condition - you must be thrilled.
It is a mystery about the other names not being on the stone. Pehaps as you say, there may have been an additional upright memorial and the names were on that.
Does the area where this grave is feature on any old photos? If so you may be able to see if there was another memorial there.
Thank you for letting us know about this new discovery -I hope someone can solve the mystery for you.
Polly :)

Thanks Polly,

If anyone has an old photograph of Section P, I would be interested in a copy, although locating grave 407 could be a hard task!

Mark

Hello Mark welcome to the forum. I don't know why some memorials don't include all the people buried in the grave. It was up to the family to have this done. I have checked again and all the people in your list are buried in this grave. There were sometimes an extra memorial but not in this case. Sometimes there are family mysteries we can't solve. I myself have a grave in P section which was like yours buried. With the support of my family it has been restored and lifted above ground. I have attached an old photo to show how many graves were buried in P section. This was to the right front of the chapel.

What a fabulous photo Wendy - it really shows how beautiful Key Hill Cemetery was in the early days. I do wish I had a photo of section R from the early years.
Do the Cemetery records show what memorials were placed on the graves and when they were put there?:)

Mark - I think we have been in touch before, regarding Joseph Dixon, husband of Bernice? It's interesting to note that there is not a full inscription, but strange things happened in those days. One of KH's vicars is buried there and his family did not bother to put a headstone there at all, in fact, I think the grave was re-sold to another purchaser later because the headstone was not there - rules of the cemetery at play here. Although they were not poor, why is Joseph Dixon in a public grave and why was his beloved Bernice not buried with him? All very odd.

Shortie

Wendy,

Thankyou for showing the photo - it is remarkably detailed when expanded. Is there a date recorded on this image?

Is there a plan of the graves available? I could use this to locate P.407 using the chapel and the extant vertical memorial (to the Mercer family) adjacent to P.407 as references.

Shortie,

I have always wondered about Joseph Dixon (died 1856) in Section A. There are very few grave memorials left in this part of the cemetery, although he may not have had a grave memorial to start with.

His wife Bernice (Barber) Dixon died first (1848), so it may have been expected to bury her with her father Richard Barber (died 1845).

Mark

Mark, Joseph is buried in a public grave, so very little cost. I have often wondered why his fazmily put him there, perhaps at the time he had little money, or perhaps they wanted it all! Sometimes public graves do have memorials, but not all that often. Next time I go to Handsworth I will endeavour to find out if there was one, but I suspect not.

It's a shame seeing he was so in love with Bernice, that they are buried separately. Perhaps it was her wish.

Shortie

Hi Mark,

I cannot take all the credit as most of the digging was undertaken by Bob Beauchamp, husband of our treasurer, Margaret, (and also a B'ham Councillor).
Who says they do not help constituents?
P407 is 9 in to the right of the main path, Gates - Chapel, and 11 rows up from Icknield St.

There is so little left now, it would take a bit of work to match up the surviving monuments to the picture, but may be possible.
Have tolook closely again at what survives to spot it on the older pic.

It's always a pleasure to find such headstones intact. We have the stonemasons coming on Thursday to restore the next batch of 8 headstones at the Key Hill end. I will be obtaining a fewe more estimates from them than.

Brian

ps,

There is a path shown on the 1848 map about 4 rows in from ickniled St - it is still there but grassed over, Runs right between Wendys 2 graves. It does not show on the old photo, so that must start about 7 rows in?
If so, P407 is about 4 rows from bottom of pic?

Thanks Brian,

I give my thanks to Bob too.

Where can one obtain numbered grave plans of the various Key Hill Cemetery Sections? The FKWC? Is 'Handsworth' a register office?

How many stones have been uncovered and raised to date and how many are uncovered / raised on average each week?

and...

Has anyone tried a 'then and now' photo set using the old cemetery photos I have seen on this site?

Mark

All the volunteers do a fantastic job in their own field. Bob is a great help we had such fun earlier in the year burning all the branches...good job the fire brigade knew what we were up to....lol...as Brian said a local councilor who gets stuck in!

Handsworth is a cemetery they hold the burial registers for Key Hill and Warstone Lane. The indexes can be viewed at Central Library. The FKWC do have copies of the grave plans which I am sure can be viewed by arrangement best to talk to Brian.

I don't know if there is an exact record of graves which have been restored. The problem here is cost without funds it can't be done. Written permission by the family is needed from Handsworth Cemetery to excavate a buried memorial or re erect a fallen one. When this is granted the person who signs for permission is responsible for that memorial. I have had both done.
I think nearly all the public graves have been done. The work was carried out by Memsafe under instruction and funding from Handsworth Cemetery.
The task is massive and not done weekly memorials are chosen by the committee some paid for by family and others are done by interested individuals who donate the money for the restoration. When enough funds are there the stonemason comes and carries out the work.
On your last question I am not aware of any before and after photo's. The ones done on this site are done with the use of Google street view and I don't think they visited the cemetery. I hope this has answered all your queries.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark, just got tin and saw post!

Have just updated our list of memorials restored to date. Counting the ones being done next week, it is 99 Key Hill, 1 warstone Lane - 100 !

We used to save our pennies, believeing we may have to chip in for the gate restoration, but once we found were not needed to subsidize that we commenced headstone restoration.

We aim to do about 8 every 3-4 months subject to finance. They can cost from £50 (little crosses/urns) to £200+ full headstones, and more for the big stuff!
We like people to helpm pay for their own relatives, or iof they have none, they can support one nominated by themselves or the Friends.

The Friends have an agreement which allows us to restore headstones for people we do not know, or cannot contact on the understanding that if the grave owner turns up and objects, we have to put it back as it was - can't imagine many wanting it returned to the way the Council left it - knocked over & broke! - but you never know.

We have section plans of the cemetery showing grave numbers - not very clear, abnd by sections. For some reason the paths are 2 or 3 rows into a section , so Section P also has 2 rows of Section O along the path. Copies are at Vyse st Tourist Info & pen Room .

I'll post copies later, thery may be too big for attachments. I can email them if you copntact me at [email protected].
I'll do the same for the list of restored memorials - but just got in and about to have some din-dins.

Will try attaching the afterwards.

Brian

Restored headstones page 1
Key Hill Restoration by sponsor.

Section A .
A 175 Joseph Williams - Margaret Beauchamp

Section C.
C 161 Eliza Dadge - Dadge Family
C 300-304 (Public Graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
C 313-316 (Public Graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services

Section D.
D 164 Thomas Baddeley - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
D 166 Ann Hillidge - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
D 167 James Homer - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
D 188 William Cooper - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
D213 Harriet Phillips - Helen Lee
D 219 Mary Ann Avery - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries

Section E.
E 53 Rosa Linda Phipson - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
E 159 Edward Rawlings - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
E 282 Richard Ford Sturges - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries

Section F.
F 81 William Horden - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
F 159 John Allday - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
F 191 Edward Allday - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
F 197 Benjamin Childlaw - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
F 213 Alfred Sheriff - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
F 214 G S Watton - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries

Section H.
H 30 Ghulam Hassan Mr N Arif / Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest

Section I.
I 38 Edward Johnson - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 40 Richard Thomas - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 41 Charles Street - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 42 Meadows family - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 44 Hodgkiss family - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 49 William Malin - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I136 Alfred Lees - Steven Leonard
I198 William Smith - Steven Leonard
I 234 Richard Hayden - Steven Leonard
I 300 Thomas Newey - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
I 470 Joseph Walton - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
I 477 Henry Lloyd - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
I 478 Thomas Gladstone - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
I516 Isaac Horton - Horton Estates Ltd
I 794 Harriet Martineau - The Martineau Society.

Headstone restoration page 2

Section K.
K 301 Cllr Thomas Walker - Chord (St Paul’s Square) Ltd
K329 John Sheldon - Larry & Margaret Hanks
K 365 Joseph Moore - The Friends of Key Hill Cemetery
K 449 Daniel Moulton - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries
K 450 John Player - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries
K 451 Lillian Player - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries
K 452 Jacob Player - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries
K 701 J H Chamberlain - Brenda Piper / Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries
K 918 Joseph Tangye - Cllr M& Mrs Wilkes (Lord Mayor of Birmingham 2009-10
K1001 John Fawdry - Anne Hobbs

Section L.
L 196 – L 199 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 200 – L 203 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 212 – l 215 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 216 – L 219 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 220 – L 223 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 224 – L225/T1-2 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 226 – L 229 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 230 – L 233 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 234 – L 237 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
L 238 – L 241 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services

Section N
N 154 Thomas Bloor/ - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
& Thomas Bridgart
N210 Farnol family - Lynne Shields
N 173 Thomas Dennett - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 174 Alice Coley - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 228 Sarah Gibson - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 233 William Osborne - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 287 James Smith - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 294 William Riley - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N304 E C Osborne - E C Osborne Ltd
N 347 William Lister - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N354 Edith Dennett - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
N 386 John Fielding Empson - Dick Empson
N540 Elizabeth Johnson - Dick Empson

Section O.
O 55 Thomas Dovey - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O56 John Henry Warr - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 60 William Tyrer - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 110 Lucy Shaw - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 124 Samuel Lightwood - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 125 William Stanley - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 165 James Johnson - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 166 Robert Meiklejohn - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 167 John Marson - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 168 Charles Norton - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest
O 170 Thomas Lewis - Ladywood Constituency Ward Community Chest

Last page

Section P.
P 133 Isaac Jennings - Wendy Partridge
P 213 John Jennings - Wendy Partridge
P291 Joseph Bywater - Steve Crathorn / Stephen Johnson /
Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
P 326 Isaac Hollingshead - Colin Giles
P389 James Hinks - Larry & Margaret Hanks

Section Q .
Q302 Clutterbuck - Madeleine Black
Q 748-751 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services

Section R.
R 268 Eliza brown - Brian Southwell
R 288 Florence Thomas - Brian Southwell
R313 Thomas Deakin - Sue Jay
R 448 William Hayes - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
R 479 Alfred Astbury - Brian Southwell
R 735 William Broadway - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries
R 763 Frank Bell - Brian Southwell
R 769 Mary Dallow - Brian Southwell
R908 Rosina Bates - Brian Southwell
R 1184 Arthur Ray - Friends of Key Hill & Warstone lane Cemeteries

Section T. (Behind L Section)
T 1 – T 2 /L 224-5(Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
T 3 – T 6 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services
T 7 – T 10 (Public graves) - Birmingham City Council Bereavement Services

Warstone Lane Restoration by sponsor.
L 357 Hilliar - Brian & Pauline Redfern

When you see all the restorations listed it makes you realise just how much has been achieved - well done to everyone involved :)

If anyone sees a memorial in either KH or WL that they would like to se restored - please shout up. There is so many to choose from we get bog-eyed!

If you want to help by giving CASH - either publicy or privately - Please do!

Every penny helps - No admin charge or commission take out!

Well said Pol what a fantastic achievement to all concerned.

I have to add although it's my name against the two restorations it could not have been done without the help of members of the Jennings family, for which I will be eternally grateful.

If anyone sees a memorial in either KH or WL that they would like to see restored - please shout up....

I've seen one! lol Only joking Brian - as you know I am hoping to have my other one done later this year - that will be another one to add to your list.:)

Brian,

Thankyou for these images. The resolution is not clear enough to spot P.407 but I have been offered a copy of the plan for Section P by another Forum member. If I need another copy, I shall contact you.

I am puzzled as to why there are graves on the paths - or paths on the graves?

Mark

well done to all concerned..what an acheivement this is:thumbsup:....i must try to find out if any harringtons are buried at key hill...

lyn

MAW, if you count down 11 rows, and 7 rows in from the left, this is 407. You can click the thumbnail, click again and then use "print preview" to enlarge I hope this works for you , I'm hopeless with computers!!

You are so lucky to have a Memorial left intact albeit buried. Most of my ancestors in Warstone are in public unmarked graves, or memorials have been buried.

Rosie.

Sorry mark, it would not load up full size plan, so I had scale it down to 25% to load it up.
It appears the entire land was divided up into plots , and than they put buildings, and paths etc overlaid. The grave numbers that fell where the paths were eventually laid were not used.
Although, sometime when putting in graves, they got to to the end of line, and if they had left a little extra space per grave along the way, the end ones would not fit in!
An extra inch between graves, after 40 graves, means 1 less at the end, so another number ends up unused.

Posting copies allows a bigger picture to be seen than what we can attach on here.

Brian

Thanks Rosie and Brian.

Referring back to the photograph of P Section posted earlier by Wendy (and again here), can anyone confirm an extant known grave in this view?

A before / now comparison photo would be most interesting.

Mark

Will be passing through KH tomorrow and intend to have alook see whats recognisable.

My PC won't bring up the headstones enough to read any names. If we could get a name off one we can find out it's number

Hi Mark

Looking through the records I have here, the stone was a flat stone before it was buried by the Council. It was never in a standing position, so from a photograph unless you could zoom in, it would be difficult to see which one it was - at least from these photos (taken circa 1905). I have posted an A3 copy of the plan of Section P plus a Cemetery plan to you, as promised, first class.

Shortie

Back