• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. michaelwicks54

Town or City

It was always called town in our house too, when we lived in Aston. I never heard anyone call it city. My mum always used to take me wheh she went shopping on a Saturday. Used to spend lots of time in the old bull ring, Lewis@s & Henry's.
  2. michaelwicks54

Old street pics..

I did the same Paul,Lol, especially the Bull Ring Centre, where I spent a lot of my younger days, & Spaghetti Junction too, as I lived near there when it was being built.
  3. michaelwicks54

Old street pics..

Wow. This was really worth watching. Thank you for sharing the link.
  4. michaelwicks54

Villa Street Lozells

Well noticed Vivienne. I did not notice that. Bit of a difficult one to pin down. I just had a thought that the cover over the street light may have had something to do with changing from gas to elecrtic, which would mke this somewhere in the 1960's. Certainly getting the old grey matter working.
  5. michaelwicks54

Villa Street Lozells

Hello Vivienne. From the appearance of the clothing on some of the people, it could be from the 1940's. Probably during the 2nd world war as the gas lamp appears to have a cover on the glass.
  6. michaelwicks54

Our childhood toys

I had one of the old wooden one's when I was at schoo. I too could never get the hang of it.
  7. michaelwicks54

St Clements Road Nechells

Thank you for this info Mikejee. Now I can understand what my grandparents meant.
  8. michaelwicks54

Thank you Mikejee for sharing this map. My Grandparents always told me their address was 12/43, when in fact it was 12/45.It has been such a long time since I was down that way, (1969), & memories can get a little jumbled over time.
  9. michaelwicks54

Thank you for sharing this lovely phot Harveypcm, & welcome to this wonderful forum. If my memory serves me well, I think the gap between the houses showing on the right, led up to my grandparents house.
  10. michaelwicks54

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Thank you for sharing Viv. They are fantastic photo's. A bit before my time there, but so welcomed.
  11. michaelwicks54

Waterworks Street

Thank you for this MWS. It is such a shame all these lovely buildingshad be demolished. They had their own character.
  12. michaelwicks54

Waterworks Street

I have just checked a map of the area. I think your door number was 67. Susan Blakemore sounds familiar. I know the feeling when it comes to photographs. Thankfully, my mum lept a few, but were lost when she past away. Here is a couple from the street for you. The shop on the corner of union...
  13. michaelwicks54

Waterworks Street

Yes, it is nice to find someone who lived in the same street. Mrs Harrison was lovely. I always got sweets from her when I used to go in for 5 park drive for my mum. I remember the shop on the corner opposite the school, & the one on the corner of waterworks street & union street. I have a photo...
  14. michaelwicks54

Waterworks Street

Hello Alwin, & welcome to this wonderful forum. I see that you lived in waterworks street. I used to live there too, & remember the lovely corner shops.. What number did you live at. I used to live at number 26, by the large entry which led upi to the garages. I had 2 brothers who went to aston...
  15. michaelwicks54

Bracebridge Street

Seeing these photo's has brought back happy memories. Thank you for sharing these Brummie Lad.
  16. michaelwicks54

Bracebridge Street

Looks totally different to how I remember how Walmer park was. I much prefer the old look.
  17. michaelwicks54

Bracebridge Street

Another photo for you Bob. I wonder if you recognise these
  18. michaelwicks54

Bracebridge Street

Awww. Such a sad face Bob. Though I know the feeling, as did one of my brothers too. Seems that we always had an haircut like this, which upset us.Here is a photo of me with some of my brothers when I was at an Open air school, & at our hour in Waterworks street after we moved from bracebridge...
  19. michaelwicks54

Bracebridge Street

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photo's Bob. We probably had fun in the playground at school together. Such a lot of years have past us by, & some memories fade with time unfortunately.
Back