• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Found this print on Fb "Old Photos of Birmingham" States that it is Camp Hill and that combination of tram and bus design dates it as early 1950's but where on Camp Hill? Looks a bit too leafy for the junction of Stratford Rd and Sandy Lane but can't think where else it could be. Suggestions.
Think this was taken from Leopold Street with the friends institute in the back right.

Attachments

• 0EFBEFDF-E7D4-46FD-B3FC-1BF30F1B44C4.jpeg
    0EFBEFDF-E7D4-46FD-B3FC-1BF30F1B44C4.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 16
Found this print on Fb "Old Photos of Birmingham" States that it is Camp Hill and that combination of tram and bus design dates it as early 1950's but where on Camp Hill? Looks a bit too leafy for the junction of Stratford Rd and Sandy Lane but can't think where else it could be. Suggestions.
This piccy was taken from Leopold Street. The Friends Institute is on the right.

Attachments

• 29732A07-D377-49F1-84E0-8D83755E658E.jpeg
    29732A07-D377-49F1-84E0-8D83755E658E.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 34
This, as said previously, is Camp Hill. The 44A bus route was Stratford Road and then Warwick Road, terminating at Lincoln Road North. The tram was on its way to Kyotts Lake Road depot.
The trams using Leopold Street ceased operation in October 1949, some year or two before that bus entered service.

Small Heath Library on Green Lane with Little Green Lane on the left. Unfortunately no date.
View attachment 128135

A later picture from Birmingham buildings; the architectural story of a Midland city by Little, Bryan D. G (1971)

“William Martin's library at Small Heath dramatically occupies a triangular site which also includes public baths. It was opened in late 1893.”

7C1D437F-AF4D-46F7-8443-E2E05E60E499.jpeg

wonder if the same company built these
533683713_626dcfe0e2_b.jpg
1024px-Nechells_Swimming_Baths.jpg

Nechells Swimming Baths

A later picture from Birmingham buildings; the architectural story of a Midland city by Little, Bryan D. G (1971)

“William Martin's library at Small Heath dramatically occupies a triangular site which also includes public baths. It was opened in late 1893.”

View attachment 176138
Lovely picture, brings back memories of the library and the swimming baths spent many happy hours there , not that I was ever a great swimmer .
I like the car parking right outside the library doors, and the old type bus stops with the circular signage (15,16, and 17 routes) from town via digbeth, Coventry Road , Green Lane , Hobmoor Road, and onto Yardley, Whittington Oval, Garrets Green dependant on what number bus you got.

A good example of history repeating itself, post war Birmingham had a committee named the Birmingham Gas and Electric Economy Committee to encourage residents to manage both gas and electricity consumption.
One of the committees initiatives was to paint clock face’s to highlight the periods of maximum demands on gas and electricity usage.
The picture shows the clock faces at Five Ways being painted (circa 1948) note the relaxed stance of the gentleman painting the clock , standing on one leg.

Attachments

• E1149D18-4BBF-4534-AA52-9250FD7FF35B.jpeg
    E1149D18-4BBF-4534-AA52-9250FD7FF35B.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 58

View attachment 176138
The commemorative stone for Green Lane swimming baths dated 29/10/ 1902 by Alderman John Henry Lloyd then Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Bio attached source Graces Guide

Attachments

• ADBD58F3-2C94-46F9-A881-BAA26CE3A034.jpeg
    ADBD58F3-2C94-46F9-A881-BAA26CE3A034.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8AB7001D-D919-4FE2-87D2-C9C87C535722.jpeg
    8AB7001D-D919-4FE2-87D2-C9C87C535722.jpeg
    750.1 KB · Views: 16
Perry Barr Birchfield Rd Underpass 1962

View attachment 156044
I too used to go to Birchfield Road School then as I lived in the maisonette’s by the flats in Perry Barr. I went to Perry Beeches junior school and then onto Great Barr Comprehensive and left in 1971. I worked part time when still at school in the hairdressers called Maisonette Celeste- what a fantastic time it was.

I too used to go to Birchfield Road School then as I lived in the maisonette’s by the flats in Perry Barr. I went to Perry Beeches junior school and then onto Great Barr Comprehensive and left in 1971. I worked part time when still at school in the hairdressers called Maisonette Celeste- what a fantastic time it was.
I remember Maison Celeste hairdressers!
I had my hair cut there a couple of times as a special treat, my mother too.

Yardley Road, then renamed Yardley Green Road, Little Bromwich, Birmingham, Warwickshire. . . . (or that's what it says on my birth certificate of 1953) ;-)
The photo is taken from the Green Lane/ Hobmoor Road corner and shows the Primitive Methodist Church in Blake Lane, which was rebuilt facing onto Yardley Green Road. We got married at the renamed Small Heath Methodist Church there 40 years ago next month.
View attachment 85756
I always knew the later building as Yardley Green Methodist chapel and attended Sunday School there in the late 50’s. I don’t know what date the replacement was built but I recollect there were 2 foundation stones, laid each side of the doorway, as can just about be seen in photo. We used to go down the side passage on the right of the building to another building at the back for Sunday School.

Attachments

• 67C6B97A-C2E4-4195-B5A1-A0705E1B081B.jpeg
    67C6B97A-C2E4-4195-B5A1-A0705E1B081B.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I'm sure you're right about the fish and chip shop near Mrs Wallace's bakery, Roy. For some reason I can only remember the one run by "Hicky" (I suppose his name might have been Hicks) down the other way in Spark Street. I remember Hicky in his white coat with a heavy build, a crewcut and a bull-like neck. Most times we'd ask for "scratchings" (scraps of fish batter) as a freebie. And an occasional delicacy were "scallops", which I seem to remember were just thick cuts of potato fried in batter. "Faggots and mushy peas" were another treat. Of course, he served everything wrapped in newspaper and saturated in salt and vinegar. We wouldn't have had them any other way!

Regards, Ray
Hey Ray T: The fish and chip shop was owned by Walter Hickman and wife Joyce Hickman, (I am their daughter). We had it until about 1968. You have described him to a "T". He went by the name "Hick". Always did, never knew why. We moved from Kyrwicks Lane to Hall Green for a short while, he still ran the shop and then we emigrated to Australia, which is where I am now. He died in 1987 and his wife died in 1988. Have loads of memories from Kyrwicks Lane, but never been able to find any photos. It's interesting to see how others remember him.

Hey Ray T: The fish and chip shop was owned by Walter Hickman and wife Joyce Hickman, (I am their daughter). We had it until about 1968. You have described him to a "T". He went by the name "Hick". Always did, never knew why. We moved from Kyrwicks Lane to Hall Green for a short while, he still ran the shop and then we emigrated to Australia, which is where I am now. He died in 1987 and his wife died in 1988. Have loads of memories from Kyrwicks Lane, but never been able to find any photos. It's interesting to see how others remember him.
Thank you very much for all your information on "Hicky" and Joyce, Jenni. It's always great to know how people got on after partings of the ways. Our family moved from Long St to Acocks Green around 1965, so that would have been the last time we used the chippy. I hope you're enjoying life in Australia.

Hello fellow Brummies. I found this one of Shakespeare Inn. I have no further details. It was with some old photos that date around 1867, all around the Birmingham city centre. By chance there is a Shakespeare Inn near Colmore, so was wondering if this was the early version of what is there now. I Know its a slim chance with all the changes Birmingham has gone through, but any details would be appreciated THANK YOU0.jpeg. Apologies if you get different sizes of photo!!

Back