• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Clements Road Nechells

harveypcm

I am desperately searching for some photos of St Clements Road showing number 43 which was my Nan's house. I have seen the view down St Clements from Nechells Park Road but need one from around the corner..

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I am desperately searching for some photos of St Clements Road showing number 43 which was my Nan's house. I have seen the view down St Clements from Nechells Park Road but need one from around the corner..

Hello Harveypcm. Unfortunately, I do not have any photo's of st clements road as yet, My grand parents & aunty lived at the back of your nan's house. I used to spend many happy times at my grand parents (even use to wag it from school just to be there helping her). It would be nice to talk about those happy times. Kind regards Michael

Last edited:
welcome. harveypcm. as vivenne 14 said "hopefully we can unearth some" michaelwicks. 54" you rascal :laughing:yes great times. that was my hunting ground in the 50s/60s.

Last edited:
welcome. harveypcm. as vivenne 14 said "hopefully we can unearth some" michaelwicks. 54" you rascal :laughing:yes great times. that was my hunting ground in the 50s/60s.
I can remember exactly how st clements road looked & picture walking up the yard to my grand parents house as if it was yesterday. I can even remember how the lay out of the furniture was, & looking over the boards at the top to watch the trains go by. Such special times. I miss those days.

yer and me.my friend lived down there on the right.we would climb over them boards. as posted i climbed over the loo wall at the top of the rd,and got stuck.dad went mad when he got me. i hated having to push the coke barrow along there.to my house in cattles grove.

Attachments

• st clemants.jpg
    st clemants.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 21
yer and me.my friend lived down there on the right.we would climb over them boards. as posted i climbed over the loo wall at the top of the rd,and got stuck.dad went mad when he got me. i hated having to push the coke barrow along there.to my house in cattles grove.
Happy times eh. My grand parents used to live in cattles grove before moving to st clements road.You may have knew or heard of them. their surname was Howell. I used to love going in the sweet shop just on the bend of st clements road, before going round to my grand parents.Sadly, I do not have any details of people who lived there. My mum knew everyone, but she is no longer with us. She would have had loads of info of the neighbours.

Last edited:
Happy times eh. My grand parents used to live in cattles grove before moving to st clements road. I used to love going in the sweet shop just on the bend of st clements road, before going round to my grand parents.Sadly, I do not have any details of people who lived there. My mum knew everyone, but she is no longer with us. She would have had loads of info of the neighbours.
it will be great when some photos turn up.of the shop on the bend. and cattles grove. there are some of each end. of st c now you have reminded me of all the folks i knew down there. thanks

it will be great when some photos turn up.of the shop on the bend. and cattles grove. there are some of each end. of st c now you have reminded me of all the folks i knew down there. thanks
You are most welcome Pete. It is great to keep all those memories going. By remembering, means we will always remember the special people & places in our lives. I will ask some of my cousins if they have any photo's of st c & cattles grove, then post them on here.

Thank you pete for that photo.Brought back loads of memories. I remember going around that corner to catch the number 43 bus home.

no probs. we moved from cattles grove i 1966 when the roof fell in on us.we moved to aston phillips st.next to millers lamps

no probs. we moved from cattles grove i 1966 when the roof fell in on us.we moved to aston phillips st.next to millers lamps
You was not too far away from me then Pete, as we used to live just up the road from you in bracebridge Street. What a small world we live in. Unfortunately, I do not remember any names of people who lived near us.

Last edited:
Happy times eh. My grand parents used to live in cattles grove before moving to st clements road.You may have knew or heard of them. their surname was Howell. I used to love going in the sweet shop just on the bend of st clements road, before going round to my grand parents.Sadly, I do not have any details of people who lived there. My mum knew everyone, but she is no longer with us. She would have had loads of info of the neighbours.
I have remembered one family who lived near to my grand parents house. I know they lived at the top of the yard, I think they were next to my grand parents house. They were the Goughs.( I hope I have spelt their name correctly). There is another family that I seem to remember living in S C road too. There name was Rawlings. I believe they were not too far from my grand parent's back gate. I can remember my mum talking about Betty Rawlings.

Last edited:
Looking at the 1950s map, it seems there is onkly one place that the photograph can have been taken which has a block of 9 houses before the next space. That is shown by the red arrow. This means no 43 (in red) was behind the camera.

map 1950s St Ckements St showing no 43.jpg

Looking at the 1950s map, it seems there is onkly one place that the photograph can have been taken which has a block of 9 houses before the next space. That is shown by the red arrow. This means no 43 (in red) was behind the camera.

View attachment 171368
Thank you Mikejee for sharing this map. My Grandparents always told me their address was 12/43, when in fact it was 12/45.It has been such a long time since I was down that way, (1969), & memories can get a little jumbled over time.

Michael.
Originally there would undoubtably have been a number 45 , which would have been next to the entry to your house. However I can quite see that, practically, at the time when no 45 did not exist, people would refer to it as back 43

Michael.
Originally there would undoubtably have been a number 45 , which would have been next to the entry to your house. However I can quite see that, practically, at the time when no 45 did not exist, people would refer to it as back 43
Thank you for this info Mikejee. Now I can understand what my grandparents meant.

My great grandfather lived on St Clements Road in 1883, as did his future wife. Would the houses shown in the photo have been built then? There was no house number shown on his marriage certificate.

An address on a marriage certificate from that time does not always mean that the person lived there. Sometimes it was a little fib to make it easier to get married in the parish.

However, of the 2 earlier photos, the houses in post #14 appear to correspond with some on the 1889 map. On the later map in post #19 I think they would be no's 9 to 29.

An aerial view of St Clements Road (1946) showing No. 43

Attachments

• st-clements-rd-aerial-1946.jpg
    st-clements-rd-aerial-1946.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 14
Thanks to all of you for the photo's and information. My relatives, the Wilsons lived at No53 St Clements for at least 35 years. I know they were there in 1928 and were still listed in Kelly's in 1963. A lot of the houses look to have white documents stuck near the front doors - are these eviction notices prior to demolition?

Last edited:
Hello Michael. My name is simon chapman and i was just researching my mothers family who came from Birmingham. You reference the Howells living in St Clements Road. Well i have the marriage certificate of my grandmother Doris Howell and her fathers signature on the documents shows her father to be Benjamin Howell. They lived in 13 St Clements Road at the time of her marriage in 1923 in what was St Clements church before being demolished. Spooky coincidence or what?? My Nanna married James Millward who lived in Nechells Park Road. Thought you may be interested to hear. Kind regards, Simon.

Back