• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Lozells

Thanks both. Useful to put these clues together. Michael - the lamp also attracted my attention but because it has, I think, what looks like a wire litter basket attached to it. Don’t remember those as I expect they were eventually replaced by more substantial litter bins. Viv.

Thanks both. Useful to put these clues together. Michael - the lamp also attracted my attention but because it has, I think, what looks like a wire litter basket attached to it. Don’t remember those as I expect they were eventually replaced by more substantial litter bins. Viv.
Well noticed Vivienne. I did not notice that. Bit of a difficult one to pin down. I just had a thought that the cover over the street light may have had something to do with changing from gas to elecrtic, which would mke this somewhere in the 1960's. Certainly getting the old grey matter working.

There's a coincidence, I've just come across a mention of Villa Cottage whilst looking at the family of a member. About 1840 it was occupied by Charles Tongue, a Japanner and one time Councillor for the Hampton Ward.

Hi,
My grandparents Kenneth and Margaret Hemming lived at 110 Vila Street in the 1960s. Just wondering if anyone remembered them? They had 3 children Debbie, Tracy and Darryn (who is my dad). My grandad Kenneth passed away in 1965.

Thanks

hi JWinnall and welcome i remember your nan margaret she was friends with my mom and they used to have a cuppa in each others houses...110 was next to the wilcoxes shop..i lived at 118 maybe your dad remembers my family the harringtons or the moorhouses from no 106 and the brady family from 120 ?

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
Thank you for replying so quick!

My Dad was only little when he lived there and doesn’t remember much. I believe they may of moved sometime after my grandad passed away. We don’t have many people we can ask to find out anything anymore so it’s nice to hear from someone who knew them.

Thanks
Jodie

hi jodie it is lovely to meet someone else with a connection to villa st.. i have just spoken to my younger sister born 1960 who also remembers playing with debbie and tracy and remembers your dad..may i ask what years they were born and also your dad...i was born in 1953...there is a slim chance i may have a photo of debbie and tracy taken outside my house when they were little..we lived at 118 from 1953 until 1972

lyn

Last edited:
..hi jodie here is the photo...its the girls on the left we are unsure about but as they appear to be wearing the same dresses it could suggest they are sisters we know who the others are..my sister is second from the right..i think only your dad may be able to say for sure unless you have any family photos to compere this one with....between the 2 pillars is the shop at no 112 as you can see it lies back..to the right of that you can see the upstairs and downstairs windows of no 110..

lyn

villa street finished.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Wow, yes they are definitely my aunties Debbie and Tracy on the left. Thats a lovely picture to see! Thank you for posting it.
I have found the below picture but I’m unsure where it is, I was wondering if it’s on Villa st, would you know? My Nan Margaret is on the left and my grandad Kenneth next to her with Tracy on his lap and Debbie is the little girl in front. I’m guessing it’s around 1961/2.

Thanks
Jodie

oh this is good news jodie...the photo was in a terrible state when it was sent to me by one of the brady family but someone on the forum managed to tart it up a bit..i must tell my sister about this...you are welcome to save the photo for your family...could you try posting your photo again as i may know where it was taken

lyn

definately not villa st jodie i am trying to make out what it says above the building..looks like something hotel so possibly a family trip out somewhere...i will post this photo on our picture restoration thread as we have some very clever members on here who can hopefully get rid of the creases and sellotape for you

lyn

Yes I could make out hotel as well I suppose it could be anywhere in the country. That would be great if someone could make it look a little better, might be able to make out the rest of the writing then. Thank you so much for your help Lyn.

Jodie

Yes I could make out hotel as well I suppose it could be anywhere in the country. That would be great if someone could make it look a little better, might be able to make out the rest of the writing then. Thank you so much for your help Lyn.

Jodie
always happy to help jodie..i know only too well how important family photos are..not sure if you have read this thread from post 1 but there are a few old photos of villa st that you may find of interest...will get back to you as soon as your photo has hopefully had a makeover

lyn

hi jodie so now we know the location of your photo...its now called the lower lode inn...link below...even the old wall on the right of your photo is still there..looks a lovely spot to visit

Padmore's was almost directly opposite Lyn, I was there when they first opened it as a filling station, they ran it as an engineering works before.
I think I can just about see Watsons in the aerial view, the bright bit looks about where the front fence was.

Attachments

• 20F523D5-8525-4F76-8B47-CC0B909DDAD3.jpeg
    20F523D5-8525-4F76-8B47-CC0B909DDAD3.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
Wow that was quick work!! That’s amazing, my dad wants to visit there now we know where it was taken. Thank you to who found it.

Jodie
jodie it was pedrocut who suggested the location and morturn provided the link to it...it really does look lovely place to visit when the weather is nice...oh i nearly forgot to ask you....did one of your aunts go on to run a pub? this question is from my sisters memory bank

lyn

Last edited:
jodie it was pedrocut who suggested the location and morturn provided the link to it...it really does look lovely place to visit when the weather is nice...oh i nearly forgot to ask you....did one of your aunts go on to run a pub? this question is from my sisters memory bank

lyn
Yes debbie run the the ads (adventurers) pub in Aston for years, all the the family worked there over the years

hi folks...been going through this old thread and noticed that due to the forum being hacked in 2010 many of the photos posted were lost....so if anyone saved any photos that was posted before nov 2010 would you be so kind as to repost them please..

many thanks for any help

lyn

Last edited:
Only one post for the Villa Street thread - bizarre. I know there are threads for places like the Villa Tavern but it seems odd given that Astoness lived here. Anyway, this is for you Lynn - a decent-sized map with numbers. Which one was yours?

Villa-Street-1956.jpg

Doh, I see you have posted before that you were at 118 so ....... you must have been able to see the Mission Room from your back garden. Any memories? Also, I know it had gone when you were there [map is 1889] but what did the Fire Brigade station evolve into?

Villa-Street-1889.jpg

Doh, I see you have posted before that you were at 118 so ....... you must have been able to see the Mission Room from your back garden. Any memories? Also, I know it had gone when you were there [map is 1889] but what did the Fire Brigade station evolve into?

View attachment 191033
hi kieron oh crikey yest of course i remember the sally army used to go there every sunday and its still there...at the end of our back garden was a 6 ft wall running right across next doors garden and end at the back of the sally army...we used to very carefully walk across the wall (which seperated us from church st) to the end and then walk onto the window ledges of the sally army... :D the fire brigade station could have evolved into the electricity sub station which is also still there...i was down that way the other day...edit just looked at st view and the sub station is further up than i thought so it could not have been where the fire brigade was...actually i was delighted a few years back when flicking through the no 8 inner circle bus book there was a photo of my back garden taken in the 80s and ready for demo...its shows a bit of one of trees in our garden and also the sally army...happy days for sure..would not swap them for anything...looking at the maps i dont think the fire brigade alarm station was a fire station as such because there are houses there and they were all very old even when i lived there..i think it just where an alarm was stationed im sure ive seen an old photo showing something jutting out which could have been the alarm...will do a bit of research later

lyn

Last edited:
Back