• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Bournville by Jonathan Coe

Has anybody read Bournville by Jonathan Coe? Well worth a read. Fictional characters in familiar settings. Based on significant events starting with VE day. All inspired by his mother's life.
  2. C

Plume Street

I have found my widowed Great Grandmother Ellen Hope living with her daughters and lodgers at 73 Plume Street on 1921 census. Are there any photographs on the forum of the street or even the house from this time. I know the house was a family home on 1939 census. Any help would be appreciated...
  3. C

City Mental Hospital Lodge road

Does anyone have any information about this hospital? I have just found out that my Grandfather died there in October 1918. Thank you
  4. C

Willing Shilling Week

Does anyone remember this fundraising week we did when we were Brownies in the 1950s? It was meant to be the Girls version of Bob a Job. I am not sure it would be an appropriate name these days!
  5. C

Turner's Arms

Does anyone know of a post war pub called the Turner's Arms? It may have closed in the 50's or 60's and/or was run as an outdoor. Not really sure which part of Birmingham but there is one recorded in Turner Street
  6. C

4 Marsh Lane Erdington

Whilst researching my family history I found that my Great Grandfather Bernard Hope lived with his Wife, 2 daughters and 4 other family members at this address in 1901. He was a fried fish dealer. On looking up the address now I see that it is a Pizza and kebab shop! Does this mean that the...
  7. C

Birmingham College Of Food And Domestic Arts

I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967. I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite...
Back