• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plume Street

cba

master brummie
I have found my widowed Great Grandmother Ellen Hope living with her daughters and lodgers at 73 Plume Street on 1921 census.
Are there any photographs on the forum of the street or even the house from this time. I know the house was a family home on 1939 census. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Carolann

The online electoral rolls (only some online) lists Bernard Hope as occupant in 1912, and just Ellen Hope in 1920. In 1922 she has left the property.
The map below shows the position of no 73 in Plume St in red
map 1950s Plume st showing no 73.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Thank you very much. The family had moved to Argyle street by 1911 and Bernard died suddenly in 1918. I will now try to track Ellen down after she left Plume St in 1922. I will try through my Great Aunts, she may have been living with one of them or one of her siblings from her maternal family the Hunts.
Carolann

If we go to the 1922 rolls, there are 4 Ellen Hopes listed. Three of them are also listed at the same address in 1920, but one is at 1 Bennett St. She is with a Frederick Albert Hope. She is not listed in the 1925 rolls. Is it possible that this is the lady who was previously at Plume St ?

• Appreciate
Thank you again for your help.
There are no Frederick Alberts in my tree. Ellen had no sons and Bernard's Brothers didn't have a Frederick or and Albert.
In 1922 she still had 3 unmarried daughters the youngest was 14.
My grandmother married in 1912 and one of her other daughters, Florence was married.
I don't think the Bennett St Ellen is her. I know she wasn't with my Grandmother but I will check out Florence.
Carolann

Charles Henry Bradley is listed at 73 Plume St in 1925 & 1927, he appears to be the husband of Ellen's daughter, Priscilla.

There is a death for an Ellen Hope of about the right age registered Jun qtr 1922.

Ellen and Frederick Albert are a married couple, who were still alive in 1939.

• Appreciate
Thank you.
Yes they are my great uncle and aunt. Do we know who else was living there? It now seems possible that Ellen died in 1922.
It is interesting that Cis and Charlie lived at the house in Plume street. they married in 1924 and later lived in 39a John St where I used to visit them in the 1950s and 60s. All this is really helpful and is filling in gaps in my family history.
I have just checked Florence and her married name was Ambrose.
Carolann

This is labelled as Plume Street but I can't tie it in with the map above, I'm unable to identify the street going off to the right.

Attachments

• plume-st.jpg
    plume-st.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 30
  • Appreciate
I have just checked Florence and her married name was Ambrose.
Carolann

In that case it looks they were there as well, as Archibald Edward Ambrose is listed in 1925 & 1927.

Coincidently it looks like Rachel and her husband are living at 78 Plume St in 1939.

• Appreciate
Brilliant thank you so much. The other sister was Ellen(nell) she was 13 in 1921 was she at 73 with her sister and brother in law?

She's there on the census as you know but she's not old enough to be on the ERs but I think it would be reasonable to presume so.

• Appreciate
This is labelled as Plume Street but I can't tie it in with the map above, I'm unable to identify the street going off to the right.
Hi, is it possible to download a copy of this photograph? I am trying to find photos and information related to a shop on the corner of Plume Street/Holborn Hill. My mom is nearly 90 years old and she often talks about this shop that was run by her dad, Charlie (Chas) Hatherley in the 1940’s.

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have this information, Charles Hatherley was living at No. 78 Plume Street in 1939. As you are probably aware the picture in post No.8 does show the shop, to download it, click on the image to open in a new window then right click to 'copy' or 'save as'. There should be no copyright issues with this image but best to acknowledge the source if you are using it for purposes other than for personal use

Attachments

• Charles-Hatherley-1939.jpg
    Charles-Hatherley-1939.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 7
Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have this information, Charles Hatherley was living at No. 78 Plume Street in 1939. As you are probably aware the picture in post No.8 does show the shop, to download it, click on the image to open in a new window then right click to 'copy' or 'save as'. There should be no copyright issues with this image but best to acknowledge the source if you are using it for purposes other than for personal use
That’s fantastic and thank you for the information. My mom will be thrilled to see these. I think a lot of this buildings will are longer there. We’re you from that area too brummy-lad?

That’s fantastic and thank you for the information. My mom will be thrilled to see these. I think a lot of this buildings will are longer there. We’re you from that area too brummy-lad?
On the 1901 census my Gt. Grandfather lived at No. 74 Plume Street then on the 1911 census at No. 45. We would walk to my grandparents house in Chattaway Street, Nechells every Sunday, we lived in Parliament Street, Aston. This is the current image of where the shop was, lots of industrial units and no houses, a few trees though!

Attachments

• site-of-78-plume-st.jpg
    site-of-78-plume-st.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 6
On the 1901 census my Gt. Grandfather lived at No. 74 Plume Street then on the 1911 census at No. 45. We would walk to my grandparents house in Chattaway Street, Nechells every Sunday, we lived in Parliament Street, Aston. This is the current image of where the shop was, lots of industrial units and no houses, a few trees though!
Yes a very different landscape these days! Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking I might take mom for a little drive down memory lane at some point to see if there’s anything at all recognisable. She went to school in Eliot St and worked in her first job somewhere close by.

Have you ever used this website?

It transposes the current view of the area over an early 1900s map using the transparency slider button. The only prominent building that remains today seems to be the church on Long Acre just around the corner from Chattaway Street.

EDIT: and also Eliot Street School
Thank you. Looking back through this thread I am having several moments of realisation! I recall an aunt when I was younger by the name of Nell (never realised until now she may have been called Ellen). My mom had a cousin called Archie too, he died just a few years ago. Mom always referred to him as her brother though as he lived with mom and my grandparents Charlie (Chas) and Rachael.
Kevin

Was your Grandmother's maiden name Hope? The Rachel, Nell, Priscilla (Cis) and Floss who were my great Aunts, had the maiden name Hope.

My grandmother was their eldest sister Mabel. I met all my great Aunts and some of their children, my mum's cousins, and some of their children. If you want to get in touch to find out more about the Hopes send me a private message and we can exchange email addresses.

Back