• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham College Of Food And Domestic Arts

cba

master brummie
I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967.
I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite frightening, particularly if other students wouldn't let you off at your floor and you went "over the top" in the dark!
I spent two years at the college before going to work in London in 1969.

hi cba thanks for your post..i have now asked admin to change the title of this section to SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES...
all the best

lyn

I remember the paternoster lifts at Aston University quite well. There were two set of them.

We were always going either over the top, or underneath as a dare. It was quite safe, but you were discouraged form doing it because apparently it could damage the mechanism.

There were paternosters at Birmingham Poly (to become UCL) in Perry Barr too

I remember the paternoster lifts at Aston University quite well. There were two set of them.

We were always going either over the top, or underneath as a dare. It was quite safe, but you were discouraged form doing it because apparently it could damage the mechanism.

There were paternosters at Birmingham Poly (to become UCL) in Perry Barr too
Hello All,
I am intrigued. Exactly what are paternoster lifts?
Old Boy

Thanks for the video. It brought it all back to me.
Are there any other ex students from Birmingham College of Food with memories of their time there?

We had a number in the Birmingham area in no particular order Perry Barr Technical College, Birmingham University, Aston University, College of Food, and the Dental Hospital, they were horrible things to work on, but on the other hand they did move the Stupids (Students) in large numbers from one floor too the next, the Stupids would as this car got to the top floor do hand stand just to confuse the other stupids, all the cab of which there were about 20 or thirty depending on the height of the build went around in a loop in the motor room was two very large wheels, the one reason they broke down was things like lorry/van driver trying to make delivers in them on one occasion one such Numpty tried get his/her sack truck on to the moving cab (lift) and manage to break about three or for of the cabins (lift) the grease they used on the gear was so thick and black that if you got it on you clothes you would have to throw them away as there was no chance of ever getting them clean, which reminds me of working in the Black hole at Goodyear in Wolverhampton and that was a horrible place , and the rubber bugs but that is another story,

I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967.
I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite frightening, particularly if other students wouldn't let you off at your floor and you went "over the top" in the dark!
I spent two years at the college before going to work in London in 1969.
hi,Iwas there in 67/68 doing my city and guilds in hairdressing, I remember them very well, so frightening at first, good times.

Thanks for the video. It brought it all back to me.
Are there any other ex students from Birmingham College of Food with memories of their time there?

I did a two year full time craft course from 1966-68. We did our first year at Brasshouse Passage using Aston University for restaurant service & the two kitchens for serving students and restaurant guests. I was terrified of Misseur Tissier & Mr Bell who ran the restaurant side. Jim Cowie & Bob Cooper taught pastry. Misseur Sidell ran the restaurant kitchen. We then moved for our second year to the new college so a lot of time was saved as we had to walk down Broad street to the Uni or reverse even up to 5 ways to have our French lessons. Clive Tudeman was my tutor. At 18 years old you passed or failed the C&G 151 on one mornings practical work ( think I just scraped through). Lots more memories & names if you are interested.

Last edited:
Good to hear from a past student. I was on the Housekeeping/Catering course. My memory for names is not good but do remember Monsieur Tissier. I can only remember a few names from my course. Joan, Madeleine, Betty, ?Tunicliffe. Our course was all female but we joined with others in the kitchens, bakery and butcher components. After leaving I lost touch with everyone but did bump into ?Tunnicliffe on the tube in London, she was working in food development for Sainsbury. I also bumped into Madeline at a gig in East London, she was living with the drummer, Cosy Powell, who is now deceased.

Hi cba, managed to remember these teachers - Louis Klien - Head of Department, Mr Long - Principal, Clive Tudman - my course tutor - Dave Wilson - Restaurant & Receptionists (Aston Uni ), at Brasshouse Passage - Mr Lucas -Butchery, Madam Callow - French. We had Mick Benett in our group who won an Olympic medal at Munich for cycling. Yes the memory does fade & I,m trying to put together a list of teachers and names in my group but its not easy. So many dropped out & with no reunions or even a probationary period we simply got scattered to the wind.

Thanks for the names. I have found memories of the Shakespeare pub on the corner. I remember we all used to use it.

Hi CBA - Couple of teachers remembered - Ken Root, ran the restaurant kitchen at Brasshouse, Mr Dowding catering teacher. Not all the teachers taught us & we only knew them by their last names. We commuted between Brasshouse Passage - Aston University & a building up at 5 ways so we really did,nt have a base to call home. Exams taken 1st year C&G 147 - fail this & you could not go onto your second year. C&G 151 - HCI 150 (Restaurant Service) plus 8-9 internal finals. No presentation your certificates just turned up in the post. The certificates are embossed on parchment paper & I have written to the college asking them if they are of any interest but no reply..!! Think our spiritual home was also the Shakespeare - happy days

Hi Raymond
I have a vague recollection that one of the catering lecturers used to work on the TV programmes, preparing the food, for Fanny Craddock. Can you remember? Did you continue into a catering career?

Hi Raymond
I have a vague recollection that one of the catering lecturers used to work on the TV programmes, preparing the food, for Fanny Craddock. Can you remember? Did you continue into a catering career?
No memory of that. Yes I retired last year aged 67 after spending all my career in catering. Worked in some quite good class restaurants & hotels, was a head chef at 19, got sacked a couple of times but also stayed 6-8 years in a couple of restaurants that I loved in & around the midlands. Worked for Bass Mitchells & Butlers for 9 years in food development and Hygiene. Did some freelance and spent my last 11 years working with but not part of HM. Prison services teaching nvq,s and food related subjects.
It would be really interesting to find others from my group and what happened to their careers. I met and worked with one or two and know of one who had a spectacular fall from grace. However there were never any reunions but this page might just be the medium to jog a few memories

Interesting career. I worked at the Falcon Hotel, Stratford-Upon-Avon as a chambermaid during all the holidays whilst I was at college.
My first catering job was as a dietetics cook at New End hospital London. I left catering after that and eventually retrained as a teacher. I taught Sociology and Careers for over 30 years in East and North London secondary schools until I retired in 2012.
We do have 2 Holiday lets in Stratford-upon-Avon so I am regularly in the Midlands.

Interesting career. I worked at the Falcon Hotel, Stratford-Upon-Avon as a chambermaid during all the holidays whilst I was at college.
My first catering job was as a dietetics cook at New End hospital London. I left catering after that and eventually retrained as a teacher. I taught Sociology and Careers for over 30 years in East and North London secondary schools until I retired in 2012.
We do have 2 Holiday lets in Stratford-upon-Avon so I am regularly in the Midlands.

Did some sessions at the Falcon as a relief chef some 12 years ago - really nice atmosphere & a good kitchen, we now live up the road at Shipston on Stour, small world - keep in touch

hi cba thanks for your post..i have now asked admin to change the title of this section to SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES...
all the best

lyn
Hi Lyn
Was it not possible to change the title to Schools and Colleges?
I think it would generate wider interest from those who attended the many further and higher education institutions in Birmingham
Carolann B

I read today on the BBC news website that they are going to remove one of the last remaining Paternoster lifts from Leicester university. There is a video that is worth watching on the report.

Back