• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

4 Marsh Lane Erdington

cba

master brummie
Whilst researching my family history I found that my Great Grandfather Bernard Hope lived with his Wife, 2 daughters and 4 other family members at this address in 1901. He was a fried fish dealer. On looking up the address now I see that it is a Pizza and kebab shop! Does this mean that the premises has been a "chippie" or similar for over 100 years?

yes cba i would say it was...i had rellies down as fried fish dealers down digbeth and my dad could remember as a small lad going there for chips and taking half of his mates with him :)

lyn

4 Marsh Lane was certainly a chippie 66 years ago when I first lived in Marsh Lane.

I know I'm rather late to this thread but I found this picture of the property at No 4 so thought I'd put it on anyway.
The caption reads 'Marsh Lane on 10th December 1858 but I think they mean 1958! Barnes' fish and chip shop at number 4'.
Next door is the Paragon Laundry.
This is from Images of England - Erdington Vol II by Pater Drake & Marion Baxter.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 62
Thank you so much. I have a picture of the shop as it is now but never expected to find one of the shop in earlier times, even if it is 1958.
I wonder if, when my G Grandfather ran his business from there it was a house, and they used the front room? I think I now want to investigate the history of the property. Not sure how to go about it but I will have a go. As I have posted before my G grandmother Ellen Hope nee Hunt was a servant at the Greyhound Inn, Court Lane in 1891, that building has been discussed on the forum. They married in 1892 after Bernard Hope came out of the Army. I have no idea where and when they met.
Carolann

this is more what marsh lane would have looked like when your gt grandfather lived there and i wonder if the corner shop showing in my pic is the same one that is in lady pens photo..needs a bit more investigating

lyn

marsh lane erdington.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you. Do you think this picture shows No 4? The modern photo I got off Google Streetview shows No2 (Paragon Laundry) as some sort of office on the ground floor. What Lyn's picture does seem to show is that they were all built as houses, although 2 and 4 have a slightly lower roof on the more modern pictures. They almost look added on.
Carolann

carolann its hard to tell...a lot depends on the numbering of the houses...if they went up in ones then looking at how many chimneys i can see it could be possible..if they went up in twos then i would say they are not the same corner shops as there are too many houses from the end of the lane to the corner shop in my photo..im not sure if mikejee can help us work this out..it really was just a thought on my part for all we know my photo could be on the other side of the lane:rolleyes: lets see what we can find out

lyn

this is more what marsh lane would have looked like when your gt grandfather lived there and i wonder if the corner shop showing in my pic is the same one that is in lady pens photo..needs a bit more investigating

lyn

View attachment 126527

Lyn, I have a feeling that this pic has been posted before and it may be Marsh Hill, Stockland Green, not Marsh Lane.

Thanks for all your research help. I have been looking at the '39 census and No 4 was a fish and chip shop then run by Terence Clarke. No 2 was an empty shop in 1939. looking at the numbering there appears to be a group called Rose cottages I am not sure which side of the road they would be as the census is straight numerical. the 1958 and 2018 pictures are the same street but I see what you mean about the earlier picture, do you think it is mislabelled? What is really annoying is that there does not seem to be a way of looking up addresses on the censuses, apart from the '39. You need names. I use FMP for my research. If anyone has any tips for this please let me know.
Carolann

Thank you. That should give me some additional information. I will let you know.
Carolann

Well, The occupants were a carter on a farm, his wife , their son and a lodger. Interesting that no occupation next to wife's name. Usually says something like unpaid domestic duties. Was she selling Fish and chips? Seems strange that the business stopped and is there again from 1939 onwards. I also found that No 1 was the Royal Oak pub, handy to have a chippie nearly next door!
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Carolann

Directories usually give a good idea of who was at that address. But it must be remembered that the date is the publication date of the directory and probably refers to the year before. (and in pre 1880 directories might in some few circumstances refer to an even earlier year) However , unfortunately in the directories of 1900 an before numbering forMarsh Lane is not given. But here are the results for after 1900:

4 Marsh Lane

1903-1908 Hope, E., fried fish dealer

1910 Smallwood, Edward, boot repairer

1912 Ward, Albert E. fried fish dealer

1913-1932 McCormick, Austin, fried fish dealer

1933-1946 Clark, Terence, fried fish dealer

1947-1950 Clark, Mrs Lily. fried fish dealer

1955-1962 Barnes, Albert K. fried fish dealer

1963 Millas, C. fried fish dealer

1964-1965 Not listed

1967-1968 Koshionis L. fried fish dealer

1969-1971 Don's Fish Bar

1972-1973 Pavlov. L. fried fish dealer

The numbering was odd one side, even the other, so the royal oak wan's almost next door, but almost opposite

Thank you. It is interesting that it is my G Grandmother Ellen who is named as the fish fryer in the directory and my G Grandfather on the 1901 census.
How do you get access to the directories? Are the on line? It is great to know the history of the property. Just a few years when it wasn't fish and chips. I would like to think that the Hopes started it off. Perhaps it was Ellen's experience in the Greyhound? He had been in the army for 4 years.
Carolann

Back