• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whisky A Go Go

TDL Do you remember Sean Mahoney , Percy, Terry Draper , Jimmy Gunner , Bobby Barr , Leo, I don’t know how many more he’s going to come out with ? He remembers in about 67/68 Cream appeared at The Whisky without roadies they had to unload their own van in Navigation St . Clapton quite distinguishable black leather boots hair down his back and a black leather jacket .
Yes I remember all those guys. We also used to go into The Piccadilly Arcade snooker hall after the West End Dance Hall Saturday midday session, then the Kardomah cafe in New Street, Surfside Stop in Constitution Hill and last port of call The Whiskey.

Last edited:
Yes I remember all those guys. We also used to go into The Piccadilly Arcade snooker hall after the West End Dance Hall Saturday midday session, the the Kardomah cafe in New Street, Surfside Stop in Constitution Hill and last port of call The Whiskey.
According to my oracle the KD was certainly an eye opener for your potential lady for the night , the ball hall remember Henry the bloke who handed the cues out . Then of course there was that Asian chap named Perry that had that large addendum . Especially with that mohair suit he wore . Did you ever go to The Alhambra in Hill St . My oracle had a right do with a doorman there one night while waiting to get in , so much so the doorman banned him . That only lasted a couple of weeks , the doorman was either sacked or moved on . Tell me are you still in touch with any of them , it would be nice to contact them ?

According to my oracle the KD was certainly an eye opener for your potential lady for the night , the ball hall remember Henry the bloke who handed the cues out . Then of course there was that Asian chap named Perry that had that large addendum . Especially with that mohair suit he wore . Did you ever go to The Alhambra in Hill St . My oracle had a right do with a doorman there one night while waiting to get in , so much so the doorman banned him . That only lasted a couple of weeks , the doorman was either sacked or moved on . Tell me are you still in touch with any of them , it would be nice to contact them ?
The only one I have seen in the last 14 years was Patrick Duffy. That was in Northfield he lives in Druids Heath.

More your luck as I've said my oracle was lumbered with him in 2010 at a funeral
I used to go to his house in Cheapside usually before going to The Whiskey. A friend I know a Galway lad went to Jersey with him 1972 I think he said it was. They were in a pub in St Helier and Pat got in a fight, both got arrested. They were taken into the police station and the Sargent came through. His first words who the bloody hell brought Duffy in. The Sargent moved out there from Digbeth in 1969.

Amazing how the brain works , one minute it's out of it then next minute total recollection , Wandering Minstrel to you any memories ?

Did you ever go to Torquay for the season , most of the team did ? Once there and with a job albeit part time for six months , the prime place for a drink was the Grapes in believe it or not a place named Pimlico . O tells me the gaffers name was Arthur who wouldn't sell a full pint of cider to newcomers , he only gave the a pint of lemon top cider topped up with pop after a couple of weeks you got to taste a full pint when he realised your legs didn't collapse after a couple

Did you ever go to Torquay for the season , most of the team did ? Once there and with a job albeit part time for six months , the prime place for a drink was the Grapes in believe it or not a place named Pimlico . O tells me the gaffers name was Arthur who wouldn't sell a full pint of cider to newcomers , he only gave the a pint of lemon top cider topped up with pop after a couple of weeks you got to taste a full pint when he realised your legs didn't collapse after a couple
Torquay never appealed to me when I was young. My grandmother used to go there a lot so I thought it was for older people. I first went when I was 68 years old. My drink at the time of the Mods was Black Velvet. Half Pint of Cider and half Pint of Guinness.

Yes I remember all those guys. We also used to go into The Piccadilly Arcade snooker hall after the West End Dance Hall Saturday midday session, then the Kardomah cafe in New Street, Surfside Stop in Constitution Hill and last port of call The Whiskey.
One thing O told me the other day about the Piccadilly Arcade , do you remember the leather shop , the O and Terry D plus a couple of work colleagues after getting paid on a Thursday night went in there because on of the lads wanted a leather . All was going fine listening to the patter off the salesman , there was also a dolly bird obviously his bit on the side . There she was crossed legs mini skirt twisting and turning on this wooden chair when all of a sudden as the bloke was measuring the mate up she went a over elbow onto the floor all the lads kept a straight face till they got into the ball hall and then let it go .

You had to try and set the trend by that I mean something that other Mods would like but be the first to get it. Crew neck sweaters came in but you did not want one with a thin neck band. I turned up in one, White with a really thin neck band. No one had seen one before in Rowans or Cecil Gee In New Street. I got mine from Etams a woman clothiers. Then I had a elasticated belt which was Red and White bands 1/16 on an inch wide, I picked that up in Carnaby Street. I never told anyone that the crew neck was from a woman’s clothing shop.

Last edited:
One thing O told me the other day about the Piccadilly Arcade , do you remember the leather shop , the O and Terry D plus a couple of work colleagues after getting paid on a Thursday night went in there because on of the lads wanted a leather . All was going fine listening to the patter off the salesman , there was also a dolly bird obviously his bit on the side . There she was crossed legs mini skirt twisting and turning on this wooden chair when all of a sudden as the bloke was measuring the mate up she went a over elbow onto the floor all the lads kept a straight face till they got into the ball hall and then let it go .
Got my leather overcoat from that shop when they were the in gear. Mine was a deep blue one.

By the time I got to the KD I had usually pulled my lady for the night to go to The Whiskey. If had not taken her to the West End Dance Hall I had usually picked one up there. I can not remember why but I took a couple of them home to their house to find the young ladies parents were away for the weekend and for some reason I never went to The Whiskey.

By the time I got to the KD I had usually pulled my lady for the night to go to The Whiskey. If had not taken her to the West End Dance Hall I had usually picked one up there. I can not remember why but I took a couple of them home to their house to find the young ladies parents were away for the weekend and for some reason I never went to The Whiskey.
TDL
My friend had the direct opposite he and his friend met two girls who had some sort of brush with the establishment. They were in a correction residence locally , they met during the week arranged to meet up on Saturday night and because of acts of mother nature , he couldn’t get away quick enough to get to the Whiskey . Alas it did come back to bite him , after a week night in town walking along Broad St going home . Who but who was sitting in the Rendezvous cafe but the praying mantis , as soon as their eyes met O was in overdrive and legged it . Closely followed by the E type cockney bird , luckily Bridge St was the next left . By ducking down there he lived to tell me this tale last week, as far as she his concerned the E type cockney returned to the big smoke never ever knowing where her Hermes of Ladywood went to .

Last edited:
TDL
My friend had the direct opposite he and his friend met two girls who had some sort of brush with the establishment. They were in a correction residence locally , they met during the week arranged to meet up on Saturday night and because of things of nature , he couldn’t get away quick enough to get to the Whiskey . Alas it did come back to bite him , after a week night in town walking along Broad St going home . Who but who was sitting in the Rendezvous cafe but the praying mantis , as soon as their eyes met O was in overdrive and legged it . Closely followed by the E type cockney bird , luckily Bridge St was the next left . By ducking down there he lived to tell me this tale last week, as far Ashe his concerned the E type cockney returned to the big smoke never ever knowing where her Hermes of Ladywood went to
Some of them I met should have been in a correction establishment. They were usually sixth form grammar school girls. One of them I am told later went to be a nun. I hope she kicked the habit.

Last edited:
Mind you TDL some great looking ladies around at that time , ain’t that the truth . When you think back at the hordes of women in those days , not a tattoo in sight either .

Last edited:
Mind you TDL some great looking ladies around at that , ain’t that the truth . When you think back at the hordes of in those days , not a tattoo in sight either .
Too right no tattoos no body piercings. Just attractive females and no tights. I mean they did not wear tights. My wife when we met wore silk seamed stockings. Now she wears Nora Batty tights I say you are not going out with me in Nora Batties. No she does not, fair play she still has pins like she had when she was 16 when I met her, now mine are a different story varicose veins like a motorway map.

It was a looong afternoon but really enjoyable. More chats, more jogging of the memory and a lot of laughs. Looking forward to the next one already.

It was a top night. Who would have thought the 75 was the new 25!! I was still dancing at midnight. Soul music does that to you.

Back