• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whisky A Go Go

I see Bob. I forgot the Rock House in Cov, (The Locarno) it is now the library and they removed the glass staircase which stood proud in the Lower Precinct. The General Wolfe pub became a great venu and I saw Annie Lennox there before she was well known. Had my arm stamped. We took my Nan to see the Kay Sisters at Canley WMC very early 60's but she said they were not the original line up. Also saw the Drifters & the Fantastics (who were getting on a bit then) aat The Sportsmans Arms who were both - fantastic. Best Wishes, Nico:encouragement:

The General Wolfe pub became a great venu and I saw Annie Lennox there before she was well known. Had my arm stamped.
Are you sure about that? Anne Lennox was in two bands that had a run of hit records before she appeared solo.

Memory fugs a bit Wam but after she became well known my mate said, that's the girl we saw at the Wolfe, (in a band). Also saw Hazel O'Connor there. Sinead O'Connor sang at an open air demo in Baginton against tranporting live calves for slaughter on the continent , it was never reported on. Other live music venues going back were the Hand and Heart or the Hertford Inn, The Golden Cup, Far Gosford St

BOB,new to technology,only recently read forum posts,sad to hear of sean o,mahoney,s death.i worked on whittall site with sean at south st./delph (9locks) brierly hill about 1964/65. his dad, danny was a ganger on the site.i had to work their weekly production bonus out. i went with sean to a few places, whisyy, rum runner,lyndon pub,town hall and crown station st. as far as i can remember,but i didn,t see much of him at the end of the mod period.i went to carlton/mothers but didn,t see him there.we used a pub on hill st.brierly hill at lunchtimes and sean went beresk when the gaffer removed his favourite record but i dont remember which one.one day sean arrived at the site in a flash ragtop driven by a stunning blonde who he introduced as "may". i used to give him alift home in my battered ford anglia and one day the brakes failed screaming down the hill before the climb to dudley. we finished in the doorway of a car showroom! later he bought an old alvis but it was ready for scrap really. i had a few lifts in it but it clapped out in witton and he dumped it on the witton arms car park.it was there for months. last time i saw him was in the rum runner and must have been about 1971.incidently, i,m sure i regularly saw alexis korner playing 2nd floor whisky,or was that marquee?nice memories,and thanks for the posts. geoff

I remember someone called Sean Mahoney, if its the same person he was friends with a guy called Monty (Tommy Monteith) who lived in Winson Green. They used to go to the Locarno and West End in the 60s. He walked me home from The Plaza in about 1963. The last time I saw Sean was in about early 90s in a back street pub in Digbeth.I would love to see some photos of him

Last edited:
I knew Sean O'Mahoney very well in late 60's and to mid 70's. I was very good friends and work colleague with Noel Barnes who is also mentioned in the Whisky a Go Go thread. I spent many a lunchtime in the Brookhill Alum Rock with Noel, Sean and their friends that dropped in, all characters. I remember one called Chunky Balls from Pineapple Hill, great fun.
Sean was knows as a King Pin and the Great Sean. I also knew his brothers, I believe they were Paul and Timmy and a younger one.
One evening in the mid 70's I was sat in the Dovecoates Cockshut Hill with my wife, having a quiet drink. In come a gang of the local "hard men" who began causing problems and I could see they had me in their vision. Oh dear.
Who walks in, Noel and Sean, like a scene from the midwest. Silence immediately descends on the bar. They both sit down with us and we have a pleasant drink.
Sean was a gentleman and great company. What is the saying, the mold was broken .

I do remember there used to be a 'chunky' guy used to be within his crowd but I cant remember his name. Didnt Sean live in Gilbertstone Road. In the early 60s he used to be around The Flat and Key Hill area.

your right, the hob moor pub was sean,s regular in the sixties.i,ve remembered his squeeze from then called "may". it was may broadhurst,no offence meant to that crew if theyr,e on line,used to see them in tito,s, soho rd. quite tooled up, at least benjie was.Never forget sean recommended great yarmouth about 1965,but he wasn,t there the fourtnight i was, i had to have the "factory fourtnight",last in july,first in august.saw the animals and the yardbirds on yarmouth pier,also the applejacks and the pretty things at floral hall,gorlston bay.went to see pretty things at robin hood 2 last year and they were exactly the same,three original members!

I remember someone called Sean Mahoney, if its the same person he was friends with a guy called Monty (Tommy Monteith) who lived in Winson Green. They used to go to the Locarno and West End in the 60s. He walked me home from The Plaza in about 1963. The last time I saw Sean was in about early 90s in a back street pub in Digbeth.I would love to see some photos of him
carolina, this sounds like sean,mention of hob moor rd. rings a bell as where he lived in those days. would you be talking about the plaza rookery rd.?

Yes Perrybarpest, Rookey Road. Great days. I never actually went to Whisky A Go Go, but only ever knew it anyway as Laura Dixons.

great to know which plaza. this was the one we all walked to from witton and perry barr,unless we got the bus or taxi.you might remember the regular groups,dave lacy and the corvettes, the redcaps,the cheetahs,jeff lynne,uglys,2nd city sounds and many more.not forgeting goog old charlie simpson band (yellowbird,high in banana tree!).the pianist in the dance band was lenny lowe who was our music teacher at birchfield rd. school.he gave me a clip round the ear cause he saw me with a bottle of beer in there(under age!).i only got past the bouncer then because albert chapman was on the door.

You make make everything swing! We had Big Margaret at the British Legion. Tiger Feet! Saw Jigsaw (Sky High) at Mr George's.

What sort of gear were you all wearing when you were on the town folks? e.g. When I first went out mum knitted me a tank top and accidentally dropped some stitches so it looke pyscadelic, on top of a black and white tiny print shirt, 5 sizes too big but hidden by the tank top. 50p from a basket in C&A. A broad purple satin tie when a tie was insisted on, burgundy jacket and cream flares with turn ups oh and black platform shoes with a red stripe down the side. My mate, who fell in Carolina's mud, had a purple and cream leather Elvis jacket which the ladies loved and platforms with maroon stars on the front. We had stainless steel ID bracelets, love beads and narrow band chokers with your initial dangling of it. Ad big hair.

Back