• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whisky A Go Go

More sad news to post that two of our dear friends and iconic dancers from the Whiskey have both passed away in the last few months
Rob Marsh & Chrissie Wolsey. Both multi talented and good business men.

Rob Marsh & Chrissy Wolsey.jpg

Attachments

• Rob Marsh & Chrissy Wolsey.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Rob Marsh & Chrissy Wolsey.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 81
The 60's in Brum were the best for live Mod bands, specially at The Whiskey a Go Go above Chetwyns on the corner of John Bright Street and Hill Street. The whiskey was unique in the fact that not only did the local bands King Bee's, Modonaires, Jugs O'Henry, Moody Blues, Denny Lane, Spencer Davis play there, but also people from the states. "Motown" & "R&B" greats like Sonny Boy Williamson & Ike and Tina Turner sang there. All nighters on Fridays till 8am Saturday mornings and again on Saturday nights till Sunday morning. The owners Chris & Steve Healey were two great guys who were there to welcome us all every night the Whiskey was open. They both wore natty striped jackets as I remember. The original Manager and I recall also the DJ some night's was Ronnie Whicheler, a great guy with thick red hair, a real "dude".
I have been told that Steve still has a book that records all the bands and singers of that time that they booked up, such as The Faces, Long John Baldry & The Steam Packet, and Gary Farr and The Knockouts. I remember Georgie Fame playing virtually all night. They couldn't get him off the small stage until he collapsed with exhaustion, or lack of stimulation's.
Great Brummie characters of the time also frequented The Whiskey; King of the Midland Mods Sean Mahoney (rip), Billy Sutton, Billy & Dodger Thompson (rip), Colin Mythan (rip), Noel Barnes, Chris and Gary Burgess, Jock Ellis, Duffy, Bugsy, Chris Wolsey, Mushy Moriearty, Kenny Frazer, Rob Marsh, Popeye, Dicky Martin, Jonnie Brain, Bobby Summers, Henry O'Neil, Eddy The Jew, Jonnie Hutton, Percy McIver, Tony Baker, Jim Cheesby, Kenny Bull, Dorian Walford. Black H (rip) and Spencer, who were both 60's & 70's local Brummie DJ's with Caribbean and soul backgrounds learnt their trade at the Whisky.
The place buzzed for three years until it changed hands and became the Marquee in 1968. And the chicks that went there were out of this world. One group were called "The Magnificent Ten" which included Esther, Cherrie, Lela, Betty Smart, Pat Smith, The O'Brian Sisters, Linda Walton, Shirley & Oriel Teeger, Viv, Sue Jelly,Heather and Dott. Other male groups of people were nick named "The Martini Set", "The T-set" and the "Coca Cola Boy's". It was cult and leading edge for urban 60's live Motown & blues band music, dance styles and fashions emanated from the "Whisky".
They used to pack in nearly 250 townies and mods onto both floors in those days with no fire escapes only a small front door with narrow wooden steps up to the 1st and 2nd floor's. Live bands on the 1st floor and DJ's on the top floor. Many dudes where "knocked back" at the door if you weren't part of the crowd, as they could not get everybody in the gaff.
People would fall asleep on the wooden floor after they tired from dancing at about 5pm, but the bands and DJ's played on till about 8am. the following morning. Money and stuff all over the floor, came out of peoples pockets, it was like an "Aladdin's Den"
Do you remember that the phrase 'Nice One' which spread all over the country came from the Whiskey? There was a west Indian guy of about 40 (seemed really old then) who used to come up and dance on his own. After each record he would shout 'Nice One' which was soon picked up and used by all. Can't remember his name.
After we crashed out again in the mornings at the KD (Kardoma) coffee bar in New Street, we went on to the West End Dance Hall Saturday afternoon dance. We then had the energy to go to the "All Nighters" at the Town Hall. Spencer Davis with Steve Winwood were classic, along with the other Blues bands of the time. The Whiskey attracted people from all over the midlands, including Coventry and London scene, to dance and hear live music of the era, that was very ahead of pop culture in England at that time! If the Town Hall gigs weren't on, we used to go to "The Twisted Wheel" in Manchester that also played Motown & Blues".

In the summer of 1966 & 1967 you would find most of the guy's and girls of the Brum scene in Margate our favorite haunt on Bank Holidays, the centre of Birmingham used to be empty. it was a mad exodus by scooters, cars, thrumming and by train, jumped of coarse! We used to get of the train too Watford, where the local geezer Phil Manall used to offer us shelter and food after he took us to the local clubs and the "Milk Bar" in Watford High St. Sometimes we would go to the "East End" where another cockney dude Barry Lane looked after us in transit to Margate. Barry Lane also came up to Birmingham and came with us to Jersey in 1968, we made him an honoree Brummie.
In 1968 after the Whisky days ended we mostly took of and all worked the season in Jersey, well that's another story for another day.

Other live Mod band venues we frequented where the "Lafayette" and "The Connaught Suite" in Wolverhampton with Brian & Judy Franklin, the local leader Aggie and his mates.
The Matrix Club, Fortythievs & The Leofric hotel, in Coventry were other great venues where we mixed with the Cov crowd of Terry Green, Terry Shone, Tony Rieley, Paul Gardiner, Paddy McGurk, Guy Marshall ,Freddy McFarland, Rodney Joyce, Jim Snow, Ernie Clark, Wally Parker (rip), Frank Guin, Owen Ferry, Ernie Sower, Tilley /graham Rutherford, Con McGrogan, Dave & Mickey Snape, Brian Fanning (rip) and many more that also joined us at the Whisky agogo and in 1968 in Jersey.

We had a Whiskey reunion in 2007 at Solihull Arden Tennis Club. Organized by Chris & Viv Wolsey and Bobby Summers, 150 original people including the Whiskey owner Steve Healey attended.
The reunion was DJ'ed by the refreshingly knowledgeable Mike Hollis of "Smooth Radio", 40 years after the Whiskey a Go Go closed in 1967. Nobody was knocked back at this gig though!! People came from as far away as Norway, France and all over the U.K. to meet each other again for the first time in all those years. It was a great nostalgic and emotional night . We intend to do it again in 10 years, God willing!!

photo 1 The whisky above Chetwyns
photo 2 Steve Healey one of the 2 original owners & Jonnie Hutton still surfing at the Mumbles South Wales aged 60.
photo 3 Whisky team on the way to the Twisted Wheel Manchester, Top Bobby Summers, Eddy the Jew Smith, Popeye Dave Ladbrook, Jonnie Hutton. Bottom Dickey Martin, Black H (RIP), Jonnie Brain, & Billy Thompson
photo 4 1966 Batterseapark Pat Clarke, Maggie O'Brien, Oriel Teager, Cherry, Christine O'Brien, Glenys and Pauline Lawrence
photo 5 On tour in Jersey 1968; ?, Popeye, Barry Lane, ?, Bobby Summers, Jonnie Brain, Kenny Bull.

Hiya all

This is a message for Bob Summers. Hello Bob, I read your post and really enjoyed it. That's a great memory you have, all those names I haven't heard in years. I would be keen to know if there's to be a Whiskey reunion this year, 2017. Any news or have I missed it?

I went to the Whiskey a few times and got knocked back once or twice too. On one occasion I was with a guy called Jimmy Gunner and we couldn't get in, in fact I seem to recall threats to life and limb re 'f...... mods, clear off or...'. Well, that was that, or was it. Behind the building was a garage and it had parking on broken tarmac that was usually open all night, no gates. Jimmy said 'follow me, kid.'

Anyway we ended up climbing the fire escape which went up to the ladies toilet and a cast window frame that pivoted just enough to squeeze through. The girls helped pull us in and we had a hell of a night made better by the hoot of free entry. I seem to remember using it a number of times, getting odd looks from the door guys on leaving in the early hours. I must have had a good time because I don't remember who was headlining, just a vague memory of Eric Clapton being there, and a band called the Dog That Bit People, that had a drummer called Bob Lamb, later of the Steve Gibbons Band.

When I was at School with Ronnie I can remember he had his name changed from Musgrove to Wicheler (I thought it was Wicherloe)

Hi Sean T I do remember those toilets and thanks for your post. We have had 2 major reunions in 2007 and 2012. We do have the occasional meet-up for drinks and a chat about old times. Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be another reunion as some of the hard core dude's have passed on to another plain in the last couple of years.
Hi Carolina good new's is that Ronnie Wicherloe is alive and kicking and rfealy was the legend driver of the music and bands that played at the Whiskey.

Reunion, Tony Baker, Micky Johnstone, Viv & Chris Wolsey, _ , Kenny Frazier.jpg IMG_3373.jpg IMG_3373.jpg Gary Burgess & Buggsey.jpg

Re: Whisky A Go Go / Crazy E

I was the disk jockey on the second floor in 1965 /66........I first went to the Whisky in a full length white leather coat....Nitso Ronny, the manager took me into his office told me I had arrived in Birmingham....he took the coat and locked it away until the club closed, then gave it me back! I loved Ronny...fat bloke with ginger hair, where is he now

The second floor was where the bands played....the small corner stage had a single light bulb over it and nothing happened when the band wasnt playing. I suggested to Ronny that I played some records and put some lights over the stage....he agreed and paid me £2.10 shillings [£2.50] to work from 12 midnight till 7am....supply your own blues. The lights were baby milk tins with coloured bulbs in them!

I remember bands like The Small Faces, Georgie Fame [saw him recently and even he remembered getting his Hammond up those f'in stairs! and my favourite Graham Bond..with Ginger Baker [heh Ginger], Dick Heckstal Smith and Jack Bruce [later to become Cream]. The favourite record of all time was Shotgun Wedding by Roy C, the greatest LP The Sue Story

The name changed to the "Crazy E"

Chris and Steve started to go to the Isle of Wight during the week...I took them in the back of my van every Sunday....we put a settee in and they sat and drank vodka and bitter lemon all the way to Portsmouth.....

They bought a club on The Isle of Wight called Chequers [Pete Van Buren joined us but that's another story]. I moved over and we had a great couple of years running the place. We had weekly residences with Ten Years After, Skip Bifferty, etc. The Hippies had arrived though and everything changed.....

I've just retired and am writing up some history......this site is just great and I'll use it to base my research on the Birmingham bits. If anyone remembers The Green Onion in Coventry or the greatest Mod club ever...The Gaff, Banbury please drop me a line

Hello Spike
I recently came across the Birmingham History Forum website as a result of doing some research following a bereavement in my family. Chris Griffin, a part owner in the Whiskey A Gogo club, was my cousin. We grew up together in the Bordesley Green area. While I knew that he was establishing a club, I had not realised how successful the club had been, leaving so many with happy memories of teenage years and contact with so many singers and bands who went on to be famous. Reading the posts on the website brought back my own memories of Laura Dixon’s Dance Studio, Chetwyns, the West End and Locarno ballrooms and particularly Chris’ friends. I recall Chris talking of Steve Healey when I met Chris on the Isle of Wight in 1967 or 1968. In fact, I would be pleased to make a contact with any of Chris’ friends and Peter Van Buren (who you mentioned) in particular who showed extraordinary generosity towards Chris at the time of his unexpected death in 1989. Can you help, please, to contact Peter?
Mical

Hello Spike and Mical, thanks for your interesting posts, Yes Spike your correct in your spelling for Ronnie's last surname and yes he's still about, and I do remember the incident with your white leather coat, Ronnie was worried that one of the heavy dudes there would nick it. If you need his number I have it and can Pm it to you.
Mical so sad to hear of Chris's death, and I do have an E mail address for his partner Steve Healey.
We are having a gathering of old Whiskey members male and females, on April 8th at 2.30pm at the Old Contemptible next to Snow hill station on Livery St. If you want to be added to our event e mail list pm me.
brum & Cov Lad back right.jpg Rolfe Street boys 1966.jpg
Cov boys at the Whiskey 1965 and Smethwick boy members also 1965.

Hello Spike and Mical, thanks for your interesting posts, Yes Spike your correct in your spelling for Ronnie's last surname and yes he's still about, and I do remember the incident with your white leather coat, Ronnie was worried that one of the heavy dudes there would nick it. If you need his number I have it and can Pm it to you.
Mical so sad to hear of Chris's death, and I do have an E mail address for his partner Steve Healey.
We are having a gathering of old Whiskey members male and females, on April 8th at 2.30pm at the Old Contemptible next to Snow hill station on Livery St. If you want to be added to our event e mail list pm me.
View attachment 113097 View attachment 113098
Cov boys at the Whiskey 1965 and Smethwick boy members also 1965.
Hello Bob
Thank you for your feedback. I would be interested to contact Steve Healey if he is willing to email me at [email protected]. I sent the background details of my interest to you on 2 March to your supanet account.
Mical.

Hiya all

This is a message for Bob Summers. Hello Bob, I read your post and really enjoyed it. That's a great memory you have, all those names I haven't heard in years. I would be keen to know if there's to be a Whiskey reunion this year, 2017. Any news or have I missed it?

I went to the Whiskey a few times and got knocked back once or twice too. On one occasion I was with a guy called Jimmy Gunner and we couldn't get in, in fact I seem to recall threats to life and limb re 'f...... mods, clear off or...'. Well, that was that, or was it. Behind the building was a garage and it had parking on broken tarmac that was usually open all night, no gates. Jimmy said 'follow me, kid.'

Anyway we ended up climbing the fire escape which went up to the ladies toilet and a cast window frame that pivoted just enough to squeeze through. The girls helped pull us in and we had a hell of a night made better by the hoot of free entry. I seem to remember using it a number of times, getting odd looks from the door guys on leaving in the early hours. I must have had a good time because I don't remember who was headlining, just a vague memory of Eric Clapton being there, and a band called the Dog That Bit People, that had a drummer called Bob Lamb, later of the Steve Gibbons Band.
I was surprised to read Jimmy Gunners name, I didn't know him personally but had 3 mates that did (from school) so I was in his company a couple of times, One time sticks out in my mind was when we had a pass out from the Midnight City and had gone to The Surfside Stop, and in walked Jimmy with Steve Windwood. I was also at The Whiskey (or Marquee as it was called at one time) when Eric Claptons Cream performed , there was hardly anyone in, later on at the Midnight Ginger Baker spoke to me commenting on the size of the cheese roll he had bought LOL happy days for sure.

Last edited:
Just read your post and clocked the photographs, Bob. Fab, ab fab. I don't have a single pic from those times. Like yourself I'm writing a bit about the Day in a story called 'Little Sean' part fact, part fiction, if it didn't happen, it could have, etc and would happily send you a few pages. I think they might give you a laugh. Do you remember the Stage Door (New Meeting Street, near what is now M&S)? That was my first base on coming into Mod Central. In those days I used to be in tailoring and was usually working on a Saturday so missed the West End and the KD. One thing I did see though was the riot that started there and spread all up New Street. The cops tried to arrest some Beatnik guy and all the Mods in the cafe steamed out. A right battle it was. The confusion was such that a couple of the boys saw an opportunity to rob the jewellers that was to the right of the Piccadilly Arcade (while the staff were busy watching the fighting) and made off with a tray full of gold. Great fun.

I saw Graham Bond (Organisation) at the Midnight, with Dick Heckstall Smith on brass and Jon Hiseman, drums. There is a CD still out there called Solid Bond. It has live tracks that would have been played at the time and has stuff with Bruce, Baker and Hiseman on it. Really worth a listen. PS, forgive the dumb question: was Chrissie Wolsey also known as Duffy? Sean T

Hi Sean T. Duffy is still about and Chris was Chris.

We are having a meet up of all the old Whiskey guys and girls this Saturday 8th April at the Old Contemptible Pub at the top of Livery Street from 2.30pm onward

I'd love to see you all on the 8th Apr but I'll be at a literary festival in Kent all afternoon. One of these days I'll make it. All the best and have a fab time. Post more pictures. Cheers, Sean T

35653-548c5eee8c86550eaae1ba590a704095.jpg
Great memories on this link. Bobby that photo was one I uploaded after the 2007 reunion. Top left Chris Wolsey, Top right ? Coventry Wal? Bottom left me, bottom right Kenny Fraser.
Devastated to learn Chris and Rob are no longer around. That pair were inseparable, and they done their exit in like manner.
I could write a book about that period up town.
Happy days hey

Chetwyns (2).jpg Micky I do believe a book could be written about those times and the people of those iconic times even a film or TV series.
Any way Bugsy has organised another reunion on the 10th of December at The Old Contemptible Pub in Livery St. down the side of Snowhill Station from 2pm onwards. About 100 attended the last blast with also many of the girls also in attendance.

Whiskey Girls 1966.jpg

Attachments

• Chetwyns (2).jpg
    Chetwyns (2).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the info re the Old Contemptibles Bob.
Look forward to seeing some old "faces"

PS there was a post dealing with some of the sayings up town.

This one originated in Margate as far as I'm concerned and it will only have meaning to certain elements.
"There's a man in de lake"

One more for luck "screw your loaf"

I was an old friend of Sean Mahoney and Noel Barnes. I am aware Sean is no longer with us but any news on Noel? We worked together for quite a few years.

Sad news, another well known face from the old Whiskey days and around town in the 60's, Leo Ryan has passed away after illness aged 61. Funeral at Robin Hood Wednesday 26th @ 1.30pm.
Leo Ryan was a bit of a trader, buying and selling anything, RIP Leo.

Bob I've just noticed this post Leo Ryan , did Bobby Allcock knock around with him ?

I was an old friend of Sean Mahoney and Noel Barnes. I am aware Sean is no longer with us but any news on Noel? We worked together for quite a few years.

Sheldontony I remember those blokes , I went into the ball hall(Rex Williams) one night after seeing the girlfriend off home , Sean was playing the machine just inside the door , he had about 400 credits on there he said you can play this now I'm off . The only thing wrong the machine was empty so had I carried on I probably would have been still there , sad to hear of Sean's passing . Did you know Terry Draper ?

Hiya all

Anyway we ended up climbing the fire escape which went up to the ladies toilet and a cast window frame that pivoted just enough to squeeze through. The girls helped pull us in and we had a hell of a night made better by the hoot of free entry. I seem to remember using it a number of times, getting odd looks fromn the door guys on leaving in the early hours. I must have had a good time because I don't remember who was headlining, just a vague memory of Eric Clapton being there, and a band called the Dog That Bit People, that had a drummer called Bob Lamb, later of the Steve Gibbons Band.
Can send me a personal message with your phone number and e mail so I can let you know the next Whiskey meet up.
Bobby

Back