• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Green Lanes, Aston

jmadone

master brummie
I am looking for a map showing the location of The Green Lanes which is shown on my G-G-Grandfathers burial entry.
Is it in Aston or is it what is now Green Lane Small Heath? I have done a forum search but to no avail. If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.Screenshot 2022-01-17 095633.jpgScreenshot 2022-01-17 095726.jpg
Thanks, Jim

According to Bill Dargue - Green Lanes is a road and an area at Wylde Green.

Thank you to everyone who answered my query. I didn't know that the Green Lanes was an area of Wylde Green. But this then throws up another question. Where was he buried? Was it Holy Trinity in Aston or, as it says on ancestry, Holy Trinity Bordesley? (I presume the latter is the one at Camp Hill). Bearing in mind that the handwritten heading is for Holy Trinity Chapel and not church was there even another Holy Trinity? The majority of other entries in the register are from around Deritend, Small Heath, Bordesley although there is another entry for Green Lanes (note no The), Wylde Green seems a fair distance from Bordesley or even Aston to be buried.

Although the area in Sutton is known as Green Lanes it seems very doubtful to me that this would actually be the area in question. If your relative had been living at the Sutton address he would have been buried at Sutton Parish church (also Holy Trinity). Lots of roads were known as 'green lanes' at that time. I took it that it was Holy Trinity Bordesley as I don't recall another one in 1829 other than Sutton (happy to be told otherwise though!) As far as I can remember churches were sometimes known as chapels-of-ease and didn't always have the right to marry people although they could carry out baptisms and burials. I don't think this would apply to Holy Trinity as it was a high church when it was built in 1820-1822. It was 'taken out of' the parish of Aston.

Last edited:
Not sure that we have the correct Green Lanes Jim. Is this your relative on the 1861 census? if so it is Green Lanes (Deritend & Bordesley) which came under the parish of Aston.

Attachments

• isaac-webb-1861census.jpg
    isaac-webb-1861census.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1861cesus-page1.jpg
    1861cesus-page1.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 10
  • green-lane-bordesley.jpg
    green-lane-bordesley.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 10
Although the area in Sutton is known as Green Lanes it seems very doubtful to me that this would actually be the area in question. If your relative had been living at the Sutton address he would have been buried at Sutton Parish church (also Holy Trinity). Lots of roads were known as 'green lanes' at that time. I took it that it was Holy Trinity Bordesley as I don't recall another one in 1829 (happy to be told otherwise though!) As far as I can remember churches were sometimes known as chapels-of-ease and didn't always have the right to marry people although they could carry out baptisms and burials.
I don't think this would apply to Holy Trinity as it was a high church when it was built in 1820-1822. It was 'taken out of' the parish of Aston.
I think you're right Lady P. I've a feeling The Green Lanes is/are nearer to Bordesley as in Green Lane, Small Heath.

Not sure that we have the correct Green Lanes Jim. Is this your relative on the 1861 census? if so it is Green Lanes (Deritend & Bordesley) which came under the parish of Aston.
Brummy Lad Thanks for that. The census entry that you show is for his son and family. I tend to agree with you and Lady P and favour the Small Heath Green Lane

I think one of the problems we have is that lots of areas of Birmingham came under Aston Parish in times gone by and it's misleading as now we have the areas which stand alone. I'm plumping for Bordesley.

I am looking for a map showing the location of The Green Lanes which is shown on my G-G-Grandfathers burial entry.
Is it in Aston or is it what is now Green Lane Small Heath? I have done a forum search but to no avail. If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 166306View attachment 166307
Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim
Green Lane baths were in Small Heath. My maternal grandmother had a cafe there at the turn of the 20th century. Aston swimming baths (I recall using them) were on Victoria Road, Aston.

I think one of the problems we have is that lots of areas of Birmingham came under Aston Parish in times gone by and it's misleading as now we have the areas which stand alone. I'm plumping for Bordesley.
I Thought Holy Trinity Bordesley, but that was built between 1920 and 1922 and not consecrated until 1923. Wasn't Jimes GG Father buried in 1820?

From British History online
38. HOLY TRINITY, Bordesley (Camp Hill), a rectangular stone building in the Perpendicular style, with octagonal turrets at the angles, pinnacled buttresses along the sides, and a deeply-recessed west doorway under a tall arch, was consecrated in 1823; the design, by Francis Goodwin, was said to have been modelled on King's College Chapel, Cambridge

To further complicate in 1840….

View attachment 166319

Pedro, Holy Trinity Catholic Church was on the right of Lichfield Road (same road, different name) going towards Mere Green just before Tamworth Road, close to Bishop Vesey school. I believe the building has been an Indian restaurant and offices since the church moved. It crossed the road during the last century when a more modern building was erected. More information on the original building can be found, courtesy of Roger Lea, at:

Back