• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

Malt I loved it, far too enjoyable to be good for you. Our next door neighbour always had Fennings Fever Cure to hand for her kids, my mother never was a convert. My wife always remembers goose grease with a shudder, not sure if it was taken orally or applied as a rub, maybe both

Last edited:
I loved Horlicks, although we mostly had Ovaltine in our house. Horlicks malted drink and tablets - very nutritious with the milk already added. Viv.

image.jpeg

And on a similar note, did anyone else have tinned fruit - peaches, mandarin orange segments and fruit salad with Carnation milk on it? I can't decide whether or not I used to like it.....usually had it on Sunday afternoons. And tinned salmon sandwiches - posh, eh?

My Mom used to work for a wedding caterer on Saturdays and sometimes we used to go with her...I remember doing 100's of these tinned fruit cocktails...I suppose people these days have somewhat higher expectations, though....
Tinned fruit (usually peaches ) with Carnation milk was a regular on Sunday tea time, with a thick slice of bread & butter. I only drank school milk in winter when it was nice & cold. We would carefully remove the silver top & somehow flick it so it would fly away. I also remember that milk on the doorstep with silver tops were a big favourite of Bluetits who could manage to pierce the tops & enjoy a tasty creamy drink.

A sky dish & a tv aerial got married. The ceremony wasn`t up to much but the reception was excellent.

I was one of those sickly kids that caught anything going so was dosed up with all the treatments mentioned except for Fennings Fever Treatment, unless I got it mixed with something else " as a treat".
In my early childhood we had an elderly aunt staying with us WWII period and she lived in a cloud of camphor fumes.
My wife and I have had a reaction to our annual 'flu injections and resorted to Vick's Vapor Rub ( well the supermarkets version 1/3 the price ) and as we lay in bed I said " My Gawd Aunt Louise is paying a visit ".
They say "What goes around comes around"
Cheers Tim.

Phew , all these memories Mandarins and Carnation
Cod liver oil and malt, I loved it.
In my teens 50s/60s the Milk Bar in Erdington high street sold chilled Horlicks in the summer,beautiful.
I now make mine with Goats milk prefer it to Cows milk.

Because of the tradition of stacking the crates of school milk in the sun for a few hours I was completely put off drinking milk for years.
When I joined the army as a Boy Soldier we used to have a milk break around 10 o'clock. We were marched, with a mess tin to a tea urn, full of freezing cold milk and next to it would be a tray of freshly-baked doughnuts. I was converted !

image.jpeg Someone mentioned tinned thick cream earlier and I think it was probably cream made by Nestles - a squat white tin. You used to have to shake the tin to mix it up before opening. Think this was something to do with it separating in the tin. I remember having it with fruit. Don't think I tried fresh cream until I was much older and, at first, wasn't too keen on the fresh stuff. Tasted so different to tinned cream. Viv.

When we first came to Devon we stayed on a dairy farm, the farmer's wife had just had a new cream separator, which is used to make clotted cream. Each day she bought a new sample of clotted cream as she became more efficient with her new toy. You can have too much of a good thing!

Don't think I've ever come across an advert (like this 1960s one) where you're told you'll "pay a little bit more" for the product!! But Nestle claimed you were paying more for their "pure" cream. Think your farmer's wife would have something to say about that Jim. Viv.
image.jpeg

I went on a camping holiday in Combe Martin North Devon in 1954 and remember the local dairy would fill a plain tin with clotted cream and post it to wherever you wanted to send it. One of our group had some sent home and it arrived next day in good condition.
I commented about the dairy owner's daughter over 6 years ago on the forum !!
A group of us from our street went on a two week camping holiday in 1954 (mentioned with pics elsewhere on the forum) and we were smitten by the blonde daughter of the local dairy owner. She used to drive a milk float and deliver milk around Combe Martin. We tried to 'chat her up' even going into the dairy shop for bottles of milk, and clotted cream we didn't really need, but although friendly she was not at all impressed by young 'city slickers' from Brum..
oldmohawk...

Last edited:
Clotted cream by post was a great thing which was promoted by many small grocers and dairies in Devon and Cornwall. It is still available by post from those still in business plus ads are online. However I believe that the famous clotted cream is available many places now in the UK. In fact in the shop at Bournville (featured in Great Railway Journeys) there was a poster advertising Cornish clotted cream

Milk..jpg

I don't know the location of this picture but I imagine it is/was experience by countless milkmen during the war.

If the registration of those milk floats is correct - I believe it is - then we are looking at a Co-Op based in Reading.

Back