• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Milk

And don't forget the famous Clotted Cream of Devon and Cornwall. There is a difference between the two by the way. But that is another debate synonymous with pasties. :D The traditional pasty was invented in West Devon, close to the Cornish border, in the mining areas of the Tamar Valley.

Surely I wasn't the only one to have oven baked rice pudding made with "stera". The skin was an extra treat!
For those living in Devon- Ambrosia - would be the cry!!!! When we were on holiday in Penang our taxi driver took us into a little local café for coffee, Camp Coffee and condensed milk, beats everything that ever came out of Seattle. However I have not seen any praise being sprayed around for powdered milk I suppose you could say its a Marvel.
Bob Davis

You have all brought back happy memories of mandarins with "evap"!
I liked school milk when it froze and there was a milk iced-lolly poking out of the top!
Nan made lovely tapioca pudding with "sterra".
Happy Days.
rosie.

Viv,

Just drifting slightly off topic, I used to like dried egg more than dried milk. Any in agreement?

Maurice

In junior school we used to collect the layer of cream from several bottles into one bottle and after shaking it for ages see it turn into butter. I remember tasting it and thinking it needed some salt.

Don't let's forget dried milks too. Viv.

View attachment 114816
Hi Viv - I remember those National Dried Milk tins very well - but can you recall the National Orange Juice that was supplied to new moms by the baby clinics? I remember it was very concentrated and I think you were meant to dilute it but I used to drink it neat - a very distinctive flavour I have never since come across - it was probably the reason for my only too frequent visits to the school dental clinic in Warstock Lane!

Hi Viv - I remember those National Dried Milk tins very well - but can you recall the National Orange Juice that was supplied to new moms by the baby clinics? I remember it was very concentrated and I think you were meant to dilute it but I used to drink it neat - a very distinctive flavour I have never since come across - it was probably the reason for my only too frequent visits to the school dental clinic in Warstock Lane!

When I was in Highters Heath school, in the 1940s, we used to be lined up and dosed with a spoonfull of cod liver oil and one of concentrated orange juice, (loved it !).
We also used to be lined up for a dental inspection and lived in dread of the "D" stamp on our slip. All too often I was marched by my mother to the Warstock Lane clinic for a date with the dentist.
I still hate the dentist.

Anyone remember having one of these? A free gift from Betterwear. Must have been for opening foil-topped bottles. Never seen one before, but we were a 'Sterra' family so we'd no need for one.

Although I expect you could open the milk man's orange juice with this too as that had foil tops.

Speedy, I remember mum talking about the National Orange Juice allowance - and rose hip too - but don't personally remember it. Expect I was given it - especially as I was a baby that needed building up. Viv..

image.jpeg

Anyone remember having one of these? A free gift from Betterwear. Must have been for opening foil-topped bottles. Never seen one before, but we were a 'Sterra' family so we'd no need for one.

Although I expect you could open the milk man's orange juice with this too as that had foil tops.

Speedy, I remember mum talking about the National Orange Juice allowance - and rose hip too - but don't personally remember it. Expect I was given it - especially as I was a baby that needed building up. Viv..

View attachment 114823
Arrrrgh, Viv - you've just reminded me of the rose hip syrup - I'd forgotten about it until now.

Speedy,

Until I moved to Crete in 2005, you could still buy what we used to call "baby orange juice" made by a commercial company and sold at British pharmacies, though I regarded it as quite expensive, but absolutely gorgeous. I now live in a country where oranges are very cheap and exist in many different varieties and flavours. However, I have yet to find a variety which matches the flavor of "baby orange juice". Whether this is still available from pharmacies, I don't know.

Rose hip syrup is something I haven't seen for many many years, but that too was a delightful and different flavour. Anyone seen any at all?

Maurice

I think the flavour of the "baby orange juice" was due to the process of concentration when the oranges were initially porcessed, so it is unlikely you will find the same in natural juice

Speedy,

Until I moved to Crete in 2005, you could still buy what we used to call "baby orange juice" made by a commercial company and sold at British pharmacies, though I regarded it as quite expensive, but absolutely gorgeous. I now live in a country where oranges are very cheap and exist in many different varieties and flavours. However, I have yet to find a variety which matches the flavor of "baby orange juice". Whether this is still available from pharmacies, I don't know.

Rose hip syrup is something I haven't seen for many many years, but that too was a delightful and different flavour. Anyone seen any at all?

Maurice
The local children around here used to collect rose hips for the Coleford factory, it was called Carter's back in the sixties (Carter's little liver pills) later Beechams and now GSK Glaxo Smith Kline. They still make products like Lucozade and bottle Coke under license.
They also made canned veg, Morton's peas etc. and pop under the Corona name.
Factory is still going strong and has been expanded numerous times since I first moved here from Brum.

There must have been somewhere in Taylors, Erdington where you could collect your orange juice. I'm sure I remember going there with Mom. I can see the flat bottles with blue screw on lids. I loved the stuff but hated Cod Liver Oil & Malt which we were also dosed with regularly. My brother loved it though and called it 'Toffee-stuff'.

Reading the book "How the railways made Britain", the relationship between agriculture and the railways and to link in with this thread particularly with the milk industry.
To summarise:--demand for milk affected by rail transport from first half of C19--linked with tragic spread of disease--decline in cheese manufacture as milk gave improved cash flow--design of containers-from pails to churns--design of wagons--city based herds struck down by "rinderpest"--rapid cooling helped prevent souring--use of chemicals such as boric acid, sodium nitrate and formaldehyde also masked this souring--by 1880's milk was a profitable money earner for the railways--milk became a staple rather than a luxury--purpose built milk vans introduced with open slatted sides for cooling and more wheels for a smoother ride--sixty churns per van--distribution in the city saw introduction of the milk bottle--introduction of pasteurised milk in 1882 but by 1926 still only 1.5% of milk was pasteurised-- 3000 gallon tankers replaced churns --was 1950 before effective pasteurisation stemmed the tide of tuberculosis--improvement with petrol milk tankers saw decline of rail milk transport by late 1960's.

Last edited:
There must have been somewhere in Taylors, Erdington where you could collect your orange juice. I'm sure I remember going there with Mom. I can see the flat bottles with blue screw on lids. I loved the stuff but hated Cod Liver Oil & Malt which we were also dosed with regularly. My brother loved it though and called it 'Toffee-stuff'.
There was a health centre in Greet where we got our orange juice, cod liver oil and malt.

I am sure the concentrated orange juice which was primarily for very young children was an easy way to get the supply to the UK. Once oranges were plentiful again, after WW2 and the development of cartoned and bottled orange squashes and juices were feely available the need for the small bottle of concentrate was eliminated.

Rose hip syrup, simple and with additions, can still be purchased.

Yes indeed Alan they produced the orage juice in cartons and the fresh milk and it was Handsworth dairies introduced the automatic vending machines in brum for such items Astonian,,,

Hi Alan. Did the vending machines have " Handsworth Dairies" written on them ? Or did the vending machines go by another name? Viv.

Alan (Astonian), the small bottles of orange concentrate I mentioned was that distributed, for young children only, by the Ministry of Food. I was too old to qualify for it I gather.

Because of wartime rationing there was a fear that kids were not getting their necessary vitamins, hence the issue, at schools, of a spoonfull of concentrated orange and cod liver oil.
At home we used to get the aforementioned cod liver oil and malt stuff but there was another supplement that used to be forced down our throats, the name of it I've forgotten. Cod liver oil based, the label on the bottle showing a fisherman with a huge codfish hanging down his back, it was of course, vile !

The gears in my brain grind exceeding slow.
The vile stuff I mentioned above I now remember as being Scott's Emulsion.
Does anybody else remember it ?

Remember seeing it in the chemists, but fortunately did not get it forced down my throat. It was Radio Malt I had. I expect it had cod live roil in

The gears in my brain grind exceeding slow.
The vile stuff I mentioned above I now remember as being Scott's Emulsion.
Does anybody else remember it ?
l remember Scotts Emulsion, i used to have a spoonfull everyday to me it was'nt to bad..my brother always had codliver oil and malt...even though it looked like toffee l could'nt stand it it always was to fishy" for me,...could'nt understand how anything that tasted that bad could be good for us.....Brenda

and if all the above mentioned vitamin supplements did not keep away illnesses there was always Fennings Fever Mixture...:D

Back