• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Raven8

1. R

The Market Hall And The Mechanical (percy Shurmer) Clock

Thank you very much, I have been busy reading the other thread too. I have sent photos to my Dad so he can show Grandad. :)
  2. R

Deykin & Harrison Electroplaters - Jennens Row - Venetian Works

Thank you for the snippets! :)
  3. R

Deykin & Harrison Electroplaters - Jennens Row - Venetian Works

I'm just wondering if anyone would know where I would find out some more information about Deykin & Harrison - an electroplating company who were based in Jennens Row until around 1930. My Gt Gt Grandfather was living at 1 Jennens Row on the 1911 census, he was described as a stationary engine...
  4. R

The Market Hall And The Mechanical (percy Shurmer) Clock

Does anyone know where I might find a high quality photo or even (slimmer chance!) any footage of the Market Hall and the Percy Shurmer clock in operation? It was a huge mechanical clock, where two (or four?) characters would move and strike a bell. My Grandad was telling us about this a few...
  5. R

Tyburn Road Bus Works

Thanks Aston Lad. I have looked really closely at everyone in the photos but I can't seem to identify anyone who looks like Gt Grandad. As he lived down in Balsall Heath perhaps he didn't travel back up to his old works very often, or didn't play billiards, or was just camera shy! I sent the...
  6. R

Royal Oak, Pritchett Street, Aston

Hi Mike, it's what my grandad told us, that the place was bombed. It stuck in my head from years ago. Google street view shows that there are only a couple of old buildings still there down Pritchett St, so I guess it probably was. I could ask again for more info, but grandad is in his 90's now...
  7. R

Royal Oak, Pritchett Street, Aston

Hi, I've only just joined this forum and I'm pretty sure that my grandfather owns the original, if not then a copy of the photo of this pub - because GH Ravenhall was my 2 x Gt Grandfather as well. I can confirm that it looks iffy because it's a photo of a photo! o_O:D I've been trying to work...
  8. R

Tyburn Road Bus Works

I've just joined the forum today, and am chuffed to see that huge effort saved something of the Tyburn Road works, and it's not all gone forever, because my great grandfather worked there in the 1930's and 1940's as a body / coachbuilder. I never knew him as he died many years before I was born...
Back