• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Market Hall And The Mechanical (percy Shurmer) Clock

Raven8

Brummie babby
Does anyone know where I might find a high quality photo or even (slimmer chance!) any footage of the Market Hall and the Percy Shurmer clock in operation?

It was a huge mechanical clock, where two (or four?) characters would move and strike a bell. My Grandad was telling us about this a few months ago. It was made in 1883, then transferred to the Bull Ring Market Hall in about 1936 (where Grandad remembers it being as a lad - he would have been 10 years old) then, very sadly in 1940 a WW2 bomb took the Market Hall and the clock out. I think he loved to watch that clock when he visited the centre, and he randomly brought it up when he was talking about his childhood. He would probably like to see a photo or video of it again.

It was mentioned on a thread on this website about 7 years ago - here - but I am hoping that the clock is interesting enough to have its own thread. :)
https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4688.66

Raven 8

I'm sorry I can't provide a high quality photo of the mechanical clock that started it's life at the Imperial Arcade Dale End other than the ones I have already put on the forum and Radiorails has already directed you to.

I do have one poor quality photo of it when it was in the Imperial Arcade, and another (not too bad) of when it was being and dismantled and moved to the market hall c1935.

City Dale End Midland Arcade Percy's Clock.jpg

City Dale End Imperial Arcade Market Clock Figures 1935.JPG

Thank you very much, I have been busy reading the other thread too. I have sent photos to my Dad so he can show Grandad. :)

Raven8

I realise it's been nearly a year since you last visited the forum, but I was looking through my collection of photos the other day when I came across this photo of Percy's clock in situ in the market hall. So I'm posting it here hoping that you will look in at sometime and see it. There is no date, but obviously its sometime between 1936 and 1940.

City The Old Market Hall Interior.jpg

Last edited:
Back